Applying techniques learnt from exercises into songs.

Rate this topic

fox18

Hey guys,

First post so Sorry if the subject was a little vague but I'll try and explain better now.

Not long ago I came across some videos posted by Robert Lunte on youtube where he explained things like Pasaggio, chest voice and head voice, covering and demonstrated his "lift up pull back" technique. I found these videos very beneficial and when singing an ascending siren, I have no problems when travelling up my range, bridging form chest to head and singing high notes inead voice with power and resonance.

However, when singing actual songs (where melodies tend to jump around), I find I have a lot of trouble bridging properly, quickly and following the vocal melody singing the notes in the correct registers. The hardest notes for me to get are the low head voice notes where I find myself pulling chest rather than switching to head (resulting in strain). It is obviously a very frustrating problem because when I go back to doing an ascending siren I do it fine with no strain.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice they could give me to help apply techniques learnt form exercises into singing songs. unless of course I'm just being inpatient lol.

Thanks,

Rob

Hey guys,

First post so Sorry if the subject was a little vague but I'll try and explain better now.

However, when singing actual songs (where melodies tend to jump around), I find I have a lot of trouble bridging properly, quickly and following the vocal melody singing the notes in the correct registers. The hardest notes for me to get are the low head voice notes where I find myself pulling chest rather than switching to head (resulting in strain). It is obviously a very frustrating problem because when I go back to doing an ascending siren I do it fine with no strain.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice they could give me to help apply techniques learnt form exercises into singing songs. unless of course I'm just being inpatient lol.

Thanks,

Rob

If you appraoch an exercise as a song and visa versa, you don't run in that problem. It might sound that you're connecting good on that exercise, but if that's the same approach you're using in songs and it's not working, then the exercise was wrong too.

What you need to do is IGNORE musicality for a bit, and just approach a phrase from a technical spot. Overdo it even. Do it like you approached it in your exercise before which you thought which was good. Does it work? If not... your exercise was flaud too. I know that's maybe oversimplifying stuff, but it's really the thruth!

Hope this helps.

Good advice. You can also try to first sing the melody with an Eh vowel instead of every word/syllable and if that's even tough, try to siren up to the high notes for a while, since you have an easier time with that.

In short, try to go GRADUALLY from exercises to songs, instead of doing it in one quick jump.

One more thing, for high notes you will need to modify some vowels. If a vowel is too closed, open it a bit. If a vowel is too open, close it a bit.

OK Thanks, I'll spend some more time on just the exercise to make sure I'm actually doing it right and then I'll try and convert it into the song slowly. I did read that doing an "Eh" vowel helps although It's difficult when certain words Don't have the vowel but I guess getting the technique right first is what matters.

Cheers guys, appreciate it.

Having issues on songs verses exercises is very normal. You're dealing with a lot of intervals and also tons of vowel shifts which could engage the constrictors.

Make up exercises for certain difficult phrases in the song. Sing the phrase low where you don't have problems. Go up a half step and repeat all the way up to the difficult area, staying as free as possible as you go up.

i have learned the worst thing to do is spend a lot of time "singing" vocal exercises. i no longer look at vocal exercises as singing. singing is singing, and vocal exercises are vocal exercises. you must practise both.