Mixed voice that sounds falsetto??

Rate this topic

rurokenji

there are different degrees of compression one can use. Get skype, add me there, and I can show you a few things to get started. Then I would suggest saving up for some lessons.

If you can't skype, post a video clip here so i can help you through chat.

if you are "falsettoish" as in breathy, with intermittant or no consistent fold closure, you are not in a mix.

without hearing you it's hard to say. can you send over a sample?

Yeah sorry i meant, it's falsettoish in a breathy sense.

Here is a clip of my mixed voice:

:http://soundcloud.com/user8938323/mixed-4b

and chest voice:

http://soundcloud.com/user8938323/chest-4b

Thanks

this comment has nothing to do with whether or not you have a nice voice, but whether you understand the voice you are singing with.

from what i hear you are singing with minimum fold adduction in a light, head-voice muculature dominant way.

please try to understand and recognize that singing like this is not using the complete voice and its capabilities.

it's important that you recognize this. there are several issues that need to be addressed.

i strongly suggest you seek out an instructor. if you are a d.i.y., i'd go back and learn the basics, breathing, posture.

there are different degrees of compression one can use. Get skype, add me there, and I can show you a few things to get started. Then I would suggest saving up for some lessons.

If you can't skype, post a video clip here so i can help you through chat.

Hi Elrathion, thanks for the help. I have added you on skype

i seriously feel like giving up now. It just seems so impossible. The only way for me to improve is to get a decent singing teacher. My current singing teacher doesn't even do her job and avoids all of the stuff you guys mention. I'm a student in univeristy and i haven't even got the money to get a new singing teacher. Maybe singing isn't for everybody ey?

Thanks everyone for the advice anyways

I had a singing teacher in university and she was awfully bad, unprofessional and discouraging. I mean it was really a disaster. My singing started to take off when I stopped the lessons and started to practice and figure stuff out on my own and with online programs. The lessons actually held me back. Sounds like your teacher is crappy too, that should be against the law lol.

I cannot give you technical advice, but how about don't give up? You seem to have good ear for pitch and musicality, but little singing technique and muscle. But no matter how skinny you are right now you can still go to the gym and grow your muscles with a good workout program. Perhaps buy some of the voice programs out there and use it until you find a good voice teacher?

I had a singing teacher in university and she was awfully bad, unprofessional and discouraging. I mean it was really a disaster. My singing started to take off when I stopped the lessons and started to practice and figure stuff out on my own and with online programs. The lessons actually held me back. Sounds like your teacher is crappy too, that should be against the law lol.

I cannot give you technical advice, but how about don't give up? You seem to have good ear for pitch and musicality, but little singing technique and muscle. But no matter how skinny you are right now you can still go to the gym and grow your muscles with a good workout program. Perhaps buy some of the voice programs out there and use it until you find a good voice teacher?

Hi Opaa,

Great to know, i am not the only who has been in that position before. I mean, i know i am no professional or anything but seriously how is that people on the internet are able to spot all these things that bad in my voice and yet she who sits one to one with me, never notices and insteads just patronises me every lesson. And to think, she actually went to one of the best music colleges in london. I seriously think she delays the process so that i can contuine giving her money and besides she never mentions anything about her having other singing students so she prob hasn't got any or had any apart from me. Well, i quit with her.

I have been copying some of the exercises on youtube. Thats how i have been learning between lessons. Do you guys think if i were to use the singing sucess program, it would help with all the problems i am facing? I mean, it does have exercises on breathy tones, chest voice etc

"how is that people on the internet are able to spot all these things that bad in my voice and yet she who sits one to one with me, never notices and insteads just patronises me every lesson."

It's amazing isn't it. This forum is great.

Singing success was my first program and it helped me for a while with basic chest-head connection and a bit with finding relaxation in head voice but then I had to move on to another program.

I won't know what works for you, my journey up to this point has been so contradicting and messy, but I've managed to pick up things along the way and develop my voice and basic technique. Now I finally have some skill and experience and a specific approach to lean to in order to really transform my voice.. Hopefully!

Anyway some programs that are often recommended are Singing Success, Robert Lunte's, Ken Tamplin's and James Lugo's, and there must be more.. You do the pick :)

"how is that people on the internet are able to spot all these things that bad in my voice and yet she who sits one to one with me, never notices and insteads just patronises me every lesson."

Singing success was my first program and it helped me for a while with basic chest-head connection and a bit with finding relaxation in head voice but then I had to move on to another program.

I won't know what works for you, my journey up to this point has been so contradicting and messy, but I've managed to pick up things along the way and develop my voice and basic technique. Now I finally have some skill and experience and a specific approach to lean to in order to really transform my voice.. Hopefully!

Anyway some programs that are often recommended are Singing Success, Robert Lunte's, Ken Tamplin's and James Lugo's, and there must be more.. You do the pick :)

Yeah, what i have noticed people get straight to the point and theres not beating around the bush which is exactly what i need tbh. I think i will start the whole singing sucess series again but this time properly (i did it around march last year but rushed it and didn't actually know what i was doing but now i have some knowledge on what goes on etc)

Thanks!!

You sure you added me on skype? I don't see you ;> (you can find me either as elrathion (nickname) or Olivier De Ridder.

I need to point out some things to you. Firstoff singing is a lifetime journey, and once you embark on it, it will be a rollercoster of fast progress paired with sometimes really slow growth or even setbacks at time. You need the right attitude and love trowards singing in order to improve yourself. There are no fast fixes or magical programs that hold the secret to your improving, however certain programs and coaches can get you there alot faster provided you practise your but off.

Unless you are really selfdisciplined and have a really good ear and are in tune with your body (in the end feeling stuff as a singer is very benificial... feeling your support, feeling good closure, ...), it won't be easy to do things alone. I propose you to save the money you're gonna spend on singing success for now, and I'll give you some lessons so you can get started with the basics for free. Save this money and try to make more money out of it, and then invest into training with a good coach. Talk w Daniel, talk w Dante, talk w Robert, we all have invested a lot of money because we love our voices and wanted to move onward.

At least until the point when you can invest in it, I can help you so you start from a very good basis. Additional to this, there are ALOT of tools out there which can help you. Look for free youtube lessons, go visit masterclasses, ...

Be creative! When I didn't have a lot of money, I leveraged my marketing skills to get some free ones. I consulted some vocal teachers on their marketing and in return they teached me for free. Meanwhile I saved up for more lessons. Do you have a unique skillset which could result in you making some money on the side for your singing OR which you could trade some lessons for?

In the end I think if your resolve to become a singer is big enough, you will fight through any obstacle that comes your way. I'm here for you and so are others, but you'll need to do the work, no1 else can.

Reason why I'm being straightforward is because I wasted a lot of time and money with who I would like to call the "feel-good coaches". They would praise me to the moon and make me believe I was great, when I fact I realized I had so many shortcommings. People here sometimes do this too. It's way beter to get an honest review and help on how to improve it, then the typical oh you're amazing ;> This kind of mentality makes people go to american idol thinking they are Celine Dion only to find their dreams shattered ;P

You have a good ear and a sense for musicality, so if it's your passion, stop chatting and start doing! :P

Good luck!

I started my singing journey with google'ing learn how to sing and stumbled on singing success, who promised an octave scale increase. I didn't even know what an octave was back then haha ;> But they sounded convincing, so I tried it ;> I guess a lot of people here have all gone through the same journey as rurokenji is starting on right now, that's why we have a responsability to help eachother out!

You sure you added me on skype? I don't see you ;> (you can find me either as elrathion (nickname) or Olivier De Ridder.

I need to point out some things to you. Firstoff singing is a lifetime journey, and once you embark on it, it will be a rollercoster of fast progress paired with sometimes really slow growth or even setbacks at time. You need the right attitude and love trowards singing in order to improve yourself. There are no fast fixes or magical programs that hold the secret to your improving, however certain programs and coaches can get you there alot faster provided you practise your but off.

Unless you are really selfdisciplined and have a really good ear and are in tune with your body (in the end feeling stuff as a singer is very benificial... feeling your support, feeling good closure, ...), it won't be easy to do things alone. I propose you to save the money you're gonna spend on singing success for now, and I'll give you some lessons so you can get started with the basics for free. Save this money and try to make more money out of it, and then invest into training with a good coach. Talk w Daniel, talk w Dante, talk w Robert, we all have invested a lot of money because we love our voices and wanted to move onward.

At least until the point when you can invest in it, I can help you so you start from a very good basis. Additional to this, there are ALOT of tools out there which can help you. Look for free youtube lessons, go visit masterclasses, ...

Be creative! When I didn't have a lot of money, I leveraged my marketing skills to get some free ones. I consulted some vocal teachers on their marketing and in return they teached me for free. Meanwhile I saved up for more lessons. Do you have a unique skillset which could result in you making some money on the side for your singing OR which you could trade some lessons for?

In the end I think if your resolve to become a singer is big enough, you will fight through any obstacle that comes your way. I'm here for you and so are others, but you'll need to do the work, no1 else can.

Reason why I'm being straightforward is because I wasted a lot of time and money with who I would like to call the "feel-good coaches". They would praise me to the moon and make me believe I was great, when I fact I realized I had so many shortcommings. People here sometimes do this too. It's way beter to get an honest review and help on how to improve it, then the typical oh you're amazing ;> This kind of mentality makes people go to american idol thinking they are Celine Dion only to find their dreams shattered ;P

You have a good ear and a sense for musicality, so if it's your passion, stop chatting and start doing! :P

Good luck!

Hi elrathion! I have tried adding your skype name and full name but it's still saying it's not recognized. Maybe if you could give me your email address, it may recognize your skype name.

Thanks for the motivational advice, it really inspired me to contuine! I have been doing singing for a year now and i can't afford to give up now. It's really comforting to know that i am not the only one who has gone through those teachers who are more focused on praising you rather than actually teaching you properly.

Thanks

rurokenji please hook up with one of these guys on skype. I've listened to your clips since you first posted them awhile back and feel that you have the potential to be able to sing well and have a sense of music but just aren't "letting go." I don't have the technical know how but even I feel that if I were in front of you I could explain it. The connecting of the voice may be as simple as something you've probably done as a kid, or even now while playing with goofy voice sounds. Right now you are (to me) singing very low and breathy and you'd be surprised how you can raise the volume by just getting the voice resonating up higher around the nose and eyes. I happen to do it with play voices and explaining it in text would never work; but one of the more schooled peeps here can surely help you through a more personal (skype) lesson. In person would be best though.

There are so many "funny sounds" that could probably flip a switch for you and you suddenly go "wow...now I get it."

rurokenji,

my skype nickname is elrathion

my name is Olivier De Ridder

and email bel_iblis_o@hotmail.com

weird that you can't find me, no1 else ever had a problem :P

The reason the praising works is that they make you come back for more meaningless lessons ;> We walk away thinking we can sing the high C after 1 lesson and then can't even get a E4 with a lot of chest when we actually sing. Why would that be hmm? :P

There's nothing wrong with praising students, but it gets me incredibly pissed when I see disgenious people (is that a word?) who are in this business for the wrong reasons.

I started my singing journey with google'ing learn how to sing and stumbled on singing success, who promised an octave scale increase. I didn't even know what an octave was back then haha ;> But they sounded convincing, so I tried it ;> I guess a lot of people here have all gone through the same journey as rurokenji is starting on right now, that's why we have a responsability to help eachother out!

Elrathion, i have just added you

elrathion, those previous posts were great.

rurokenji, i hope i didn't make you feel bad. that wasn't my intention. i just like to tell people straight up so they realize.

my friend....take those comp. lessons from elrathion. and don't be afraid to start with the very basics first....posture, body alignment, breathing, support......these are indispensible requisites to build from.

do not skip steps!

elrathion, those previous posts were great.

rurokenji, i hope i didn't make you feel bad. that wasn't my intention. i just like to tell people straight up so they realize.

my friend....take those comp. lessons from elrathion. and don't be afraid to start with the very basics first....posture, body alignment, breathing, support......these are indispensible requisites to build from.

do not skip steps!

Videohere, i really appreciate your feedback. I mean i prefer it when someone tells me the truth about something despite how painful it might be to here rather than someone beating around the bush. At first it did get me down but its now motivated as i now know where i am going wrong.

Yeah, i have agreed to take the lessons from elrathion

i seriously feel like giving up now. It just seems so impossible. The only way for me to improve is to get a decent singing teacher. My current singing teacher doesn't even do her job and avoids all of the stuff you guys mention. I'm a student in univeristy and i haven't even got the money to get a new singing teacher. Maybe singing isn't for everybody ey?

Thanks everyone for the advice anyways

A singing teacher is only there to guide you and make sure you're on the right path. You are the one that puts in the thousands of hours that it takes to be good.

The voice is like any other muscle you must train it to become stronger and my coordinated.

All of the great information on this site will help you if you just continue to practice everyday. It doesn't matter how many books you read or how much you learn about the voice the only way to get better is to have a consistent and reliable practice routine.

One thing people have to realize is that we don't "Learn" how to sing we "Train" ourselves to gain strength within the voice. Sing, sing, SING!!! LOL

yes, but don't construe what i said to mean you have a "bad" voice. just that you simply may need help jump starting it.

but if you start from the ground up you will really make progress as each step builds off the previous.

i sang in bands for years not having a clue what i was doing or not doing. then one day i said, you know what?

i really need to understand just what the hell it is i'm doing....lol!!!!