Sign in to follow this  
izzle1989

Who are your favorite singers???(technically not stylistically)

Rate this topic

Gino Vannelli is one of my favorites. He doesn't have a super high head voice but his phrasing and reasonance is world class. Listen how he keeps the breath connected through to the ends of the phrases. A lot of the phrases end with a really light heady tone and a very free vibrato - totally connected all the way through. That's not easy as it requires great breath control.

Gino Vannelli is one of my favorites. He doesn't have a super high head voice but his phrasing and reasonance is world class. Listen how he keeps the breath connected through to the ends of the phrases. A lot of the phrases end with a really light heady tone and a very free vibrato - totally connected all the way through. That's not easy as it requires great breath control.

I love his tone and vibrato

Peabo Bryson has one of the most connected voices everhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6G1GE9DZ9U&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlLbz0aD-eQ

Yes - Adam Lambert has got world class chops for sure. And Peabo - what a great singer - really free and that tone that draws you in.

Hey Geno do you know any more rock artists who have chops like lambert? I grew up singing R&B and I am trying to expand my palate for music.

I love his tone and vibrato

geno, thanks for turning me on to this guy. he's one of those "uh" singers i love.

i love the fold depth he gets between 2:08 and 2:25 on the words "boy" and "voice."

that depth and ring. that's what i'm talking about when i say hit the right resonating pocket and man what a sound.

world class vocalist.

These two guys performed at my school, but I was only there to see Castonovo :-) Enjoy

Charles Castronovo- I really enjoyed the balance and great fold mass throughout the different dynamic ranges :-)

Lawrence Brownlee- A lighter voiced tenor

You can hear the TA connection still well present during the high notes. I understand we are not all trying to have an operatic sound, but what most of us consider as good technique has a foundation of this sound.

Great fold closure, mass, connect and engaged TA throughout the song, and great resonance.

The are my technical models :-)

this is one guy that never really got his due in his earlier years as a vocalist. in his heyday, there were very few who could could match his power, range and tone.

steve walsh

The old man doing a hell of a difficult song live:

Never fails to impress me, consistant vocals doing this kind of song for 2 hours or more on shows, technique at a level that makes the age almost irrevelant. If anything, he does not move that much during this song :P.

Kraus and his perfect placement:

Dio doing one of the most powerfull interpretation lines Ive ever heard:

I thought it would take me longer to answer this question. But the first name that comes to mind, time and again, is Robert Plant. Don't care about no technique or what thingy he is doing with doomaflachie thingamajig.

I'm in the mood for Robert Plant. At his peak he was just something so extraordinary, his headvoice development and tone was amazing. Here's a crazy good live version of Black Dog:

Also technically Claus Meine is one of my favorites although stylistically he is sometimes a bit boring to my taste.. :) But his tone is craaaazy good and he has a very controlled mixed voice.

And of course David Phelps, and there's no need to even post the famous live video, everyone must know it already lol.

Also Adam Lambert.

sorry I'm a bit technically challenged and don't know how to post a video from youtube in this box!!!

However, I would say, from a technical standpoint - Myles Kennedy from Alter Bridge is a machine.. He has a great live version of Kashmir, Rock n Roll, and various AC/DC songs.. As far as originals go - Make it Right is a track of theirs I love!

Stylistically, I would go with Robert Plant on a good day. Same with Eddie Vedder (Check out his cover of the Who's - Love Reign O'er Me at the VH1 Rock Honors show)..

Can't post videos from my iPhone , but my 2 favorite technical singers are Roy Khan and Geoff Tate. I love their tone and expression.

I am still amazed by the things that Chris Cornell is doing with his voice in this song... Sadly I don't think he could ever replicate this sound live..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoW-JgBFCJE

Videohere, yes, I know he is amazing, I saw him 2 weeks ago at Rock im Park in Germany, however he sounded terrible on Jesus Christ Pose, I think he was sick, because 3 days later in Milan, Italy, I saw it in youtube, he nailed it!

Well technically, i think that no one in history beats lambert! he simply doesnt strain, has so much power, range and flexibility. And i will say it again, he doesnt strain! ahhah. And, of course, i havent seen this singer lower the key of any song in live, something that all the biggest stars always had to do sometimes :P

I agree with you - as a pop singer I haven't seen anyone with that kind of technique. He DOES sing some of the more difficult songs a half step or whole step lower live. Aftermath is one example and there are a few more. That was a suggestion from his vocal coach who travels with him. The coach said that if he sang in the original key all the time he would burn his voice out after a while. That has happened to a lot of singers (Steve Perry is one example). Although I'm not really sure Adam needs to do this. His technique is so good I would think he'd be able to sing whatever he wants and never hurt his voice.