Pleurisy. Ever heard of singing related pleurisy?

Rate this topic

PaulHart

I woke up this morning kind of feeling like I got punched in the rib last night. It didn't occur to me until my Gf mentioned it sounded like pleurisy that it does kinda seem like it could be. Here's what's weird: last time I had it, I was starting to do some vocal exercises pretty heavily that I had found on YouTube, but I had also had a pretty brutal cough to go with it. So here a few weeks in after starting over it feels like I may have it again, but without a cough. Has anyone heard of irritations to the lungs or linings caused singing? Man it would suck if I'm for some reason susecptible to something like this.

heavy vocal exercises? Why are they heavy?

Yes you can harm yourself in a vast number of ways if you dont use some care to study. If you overdo the exercises you will hurt the muscles of support and breathing, which of course will result in pain.

Stop the exercises for a week, if it gets better, you are doing something very wrong. If it does not, doctor.

Pleurisy is when the lining of the lungs rub against the ribs, causing inflamation. If it gets infected, it becomes pneumonia. I know, I have suffered from it numerous times. Generally caused by severe coughing. Ibuprofen does wonders for it. If you have a cold, wait until its gone before you continue singing. You don't want to aggravate it.