Something different

• TMV World Legacy Member

This is my version of "Proud Mary" by Creedence Clearwater Revival.

I've never sung this song before and had an idea on where I wanted to go with it. What do you think?

I haven't really worked on this version, I just set up and sang it a few times to see how I could change the original a bit. maybe I can work out a good different than the original version.

It isn't a song I would normally sing. I've only ever liked the Tina Turner version and even that...not quite my genre.

Opinions?

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11718401&q=hi

I think you done well at this classic , from my own experience with this song i find it hard to gauge ! at the end of your recording you picked it up a notch ,this is where i see you singing the rest like that . from 2.33 on . Great work .

I think you done well at this classic , from my own experience with this song i find it hard to gauge ! at the end of your recording you picked it up a notch ,this is where i see you singing the rest like that . from 2.33 on . Great work .

Yea, that is more my style at the end. But I wanted to try something different. It started with me wanting to blues it up more but I couldn't find the phrasing with that particular backing track. I slowed it down but that didn't suit me. When I tried to sing it all like I did at the end, it made the beginning of the song too loud since the key was high for me. That's what started the whole thing....I wanted to sing it but the key was too high on the backing track so I played around with the vocal and just lowered my pitch. Which then led to changing the melody and phrasing.

At first I really liked it. I posted it. Then I went out. The more the day wore on the less I liked it :D I'd prefer to sing it like the end. (I threw the ending in to add my signature...:D)

Thanks for the listen :)

EDIT:

P.S.

After that I was working on another song, one I wanted to do for awhile but never like how I sing it. I almost had it but I made a mistake in the lyrics. When I started over to re-record, my computer froze and my time ran out, I had to wrap up and get on with my day. Close, but no cigar. Hopefully I can get it the song right on the weekend.

Well first I want to say great job on this cover. Now time to get critical LOL :-)

The first thing I noticed is that you have a very relaxed sound, but as soon as you get to a phrase full of consonants you tend to push and strain a little especially at the word PROUD which sound like you are pushing too much breath pressure at the onset.

I would recommend that you work on you breath support as this is the foundation and will relieve the tension from you vocal folds. I also think you would do a lot of good if you lip roll and slide through the song on the neutral vowel "uh" this will help to keep the larynx from rising when you go for the upper notes. The main culprit for the rise of the larynx is pushing too much breath pressure so you will be better suited starting from the bottom up.

Breath support, clean vocal onset/neither push nor breathy, and vowel modification. If you have any questions about particular exercises for technique or phrasing then let me know

Good Luck!

"verum ipsum factum"

Thanks for the tips, I'll look into that :) I'm not too concerned over this song and how I sang it as much as creating a different version of it from the original. I know there were a few spots in the song that were a bit off but I whipped it together to see if I could come up with anything interesting as far as changing the phrasing of the original. But those tips are good ones none the less and I'll be working on it as I go . Thanks izzle :)

Thanks for the tips, I'll look into that :) I'm not too concerned over this song and how I sang it as much as creating a different version of it from the original. I know there were a few spots in the song that were a bit off but I whipped it together to see if I could come up with anything interesting as far as changing the phrasing of the original. But those tips are good ones none the less and I'll be working on it as I go . Thanks izzle :)

No problem Tommy ;)

"verum ipsum factum"

You always surprise me, Tommy. I like new stuff. I had not heard the song pitched this low. But CCR got me on the path of guitar. October of 1974, visiting our grandparents when they lived in Simi Valley, Caifornia (my brother and I were born in California) I found their classical guitar, that they never really did anything with. It had 3 strings left on it. I started picking out the arpeggiated beginning to "Who'll Stop the Rain?" Anyway, when I learned this song, I learned it the CCR way. Later, I would do it the Tina way. I likes me some Tina, Queen of Rock and Roll.

Cool beans, Tommy.

The song is in it's correct key. I just lowered my vocals.

I like to surprise people! Hey, this is my forum for training and experimentation. I don't just want to "sing songs" like a karaoke singer. I want to perform or be somewhat of an artist. So I need to play around with the songs and try to make them my own. The only problem is that it would work better with a band. I am limited by the backing tracks because I am locked into their rhythm, timing etc.

Thanks for the listen and comment Ron. :)

The song is in it's correct key. I just lowered my vocals.

I like to surprise people! Hey, this is my forum for training and experimentation. I don't just want to "sing songs" like a karaoke singer. I want to perform or be somewhat of an artist. So I need to play around with the songs and try to make them my own. The only problem is that it would work better with a band. I am limited by the backing tracks because I am locked into their rhythm, timing etc.

Thanks for the listen and comment Ron. :)

That's why it would be so cool if we were in the same room. I can still play this song on guitar (key of G.)

And I didn't mean the backing track of yours was pitched low, I meant the vocal melody. And nothing wrong with that, either. Just saying it was nice to hear a fresh "spin" on it, so to speak.

And I didn't mean the backing track of yours was pitched low, I meant the vocal melody. And nothing wrong with that, either. Just saying it was nice to hear a fresh "spin" on it, so to speak.

Yea, you know me. I'm just trying to do my own thing. :) Unfortunately that entails a lot of failures along the way.

But ya gotta have balls if you wanna make it right :D