Singing with a cut in the back of my throat?

Rate this topic

jco5055

Although I can't recall how it happened, I woke up today with a quite obvious (though I didn't look in the mirror for confirmation, just going by the feel) cut in the back of my throat, near the left tonsil area or so. Now, when I drink water, or my usual green tea with honey before singing it feels fine, and is pretty much fine when I talk; it does hurt a bit when I open my mouth wide from the stretching of the cut. Also, as I do some vocal warmups it doesn't seem to really hurt either, but would there be any reasons to not sing and let it heal? Can it affect the tone and ability of my singing? And/or will it take longer to heal if I sing?

Without visual confirmation how can you be sure it's a cut? How would that even happen? A "sore" is a bit more common and people get those often for various reasons. I would tend to think it's a sore of some sort. They usually hurt pretty bad depending on where they are.

Well, compared to various ulcers I've had in my lifetime, it's not so acidic/burning, if you get my drift. Also, when I stretch my mouth/eat and it hurts, it feels more like a straight line/slice where the pain is. If it is a sore, how would that pertain to my original question?

Well, I'm not a doctor but rest usually helps rather than hurts. Then again the most I see happening by singing through it is the possibility of pain (if it hurts to sing). I've had similar things and I usually just keep plugging along as usual. But then again I'm someone who never listens to my own advice. :)

There should be some sort of mouth rinse that could help that. salt/saline?

Well, I'm not a doctor but rest usually helps rather than hurts. Then again the most I see happening by singing through it is the possibility of pain (if it hurts to sing). I've had similar things and I usually just keep plugging along as usual. But then again I'm someone who never listens to my own advice. :)

There should be some sort of mouth rinse that could help that. salt/saline?

Thanks, I'll look it up

• 2 months later...

When folks at my clinic complain of a shart throat pin that seems to "cut", slice, or feel like sandpaper: culprit is usually acid reflux and/or neck tension. Rigidity and muscle-fiber changes in the support muscles at sides of the neck ("lateral straps", scalenes and sterno-cleido-mastoid, to be precise) can trigger what is called "referred" pain inside the throat.

Alternatively, you might have a fungal infection (treated with swishy mouthwash, by prescription).

See a laryngologist when you can, (a real voice expert, not just run-of-mill ENT) and meantime try to stretch-and-relax both internal and external muscles (yawn, jaw & neck massage, chiropractic or other bodywork.)

hope this helps --