Name some light / lyric rock tenors?

Rate this topic

Opaa

Hi,

I'm thinking that it would be cool to find new influences to listen to. I'm personally right now looking for light rock tenors, like Adam Lambert, Robert Plant, Vince Neil, Steve Perry, Steven Tyler etc. Guys with medium or light "mass" and well developed mixed voice.

If you guys have some names to throw I will appreciate it!

Daniel heiman, check out all the losthorizon songs. Talking technique in My point of view he' s by far the best highnote tenor Ever to have walked upon the earth.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAyCr529AM8

i like turning people on to singers that might have gotten overlooked.

here's one of my all-time favorite light voiced tenors. he had one hell of a voice.

the whole song is incredible, but the vocals at 5:55 to the end are something to hear.

also this live vocal is something else too, especially the end at 5:40

This thread would not be complete without this man. In my opinion, one of the most underrated vocalists and guitar players in the business. In both, he is better than many bands and singers out there. In half of Stryper's songs, he shares lead playing with Oz Fox. As far as I am concerned, this man kicks major a#$, musically speaking....

Can you imagine being able to hire him to sing at your wedding? My wife and I used this song as our spotlight song at our wedding reception. It would have been awesome to have him sing it in person....

• 4 years later...
Guest Senatinejade

What about Myles Kennedy from Alter Bridge. The guy has an awesome range and an epic full mix!! He was approached by Slash, members of Led Zeppelin and Velvet Revolver etc to frontline the vocals. He has covered many classics and made albums with Slash too. 

Here are some of his highs and lows :

He also stated in interviews that he has found a unique blend to take the barritone low range up to his high range and combine them (which I assume he meant mixing with support) 

Here's Myles hitting a C above a male high C in head connected to mix slide! 2:11 to 2:18

IMO you gotta put this guy in there. Mark Slaughter. Even though I hated Slaughter the band, and I only basically like 2 of Marks songs. Those 2 songs are SO good that there is a lifetime of inspiration in them. Fly to the Angels and this one from Vinnie Vincent with Mark singing

Several of Yngwies singers might fit that description too. (sorry for the ballads lol)  

Goran Edman.

and to me, this is simply great singing. Mike Vescera

3 hours ago, JonJon said:

this dude was pretty solid....he got a bit overlooked

Yeah Tempest had a good voice back in Europe's early days but now if you listen to him he sounds tired and his entire tonality has been shot. If only he would work on his tone even though his color has darkened a bit he would sound so much better than now.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, The Future Vocalist said:

Michael Sweet for the win!

No doubt, "Future". In addition to Stryper, Michael was named the lead vocalist for Boston after the death of Brad Delp. He shared the stage with Tommy Decarlo in the 2011 concert I attended. Simply put, Michael kicked a** !!! A phenomenal vocalist as well as a guitarist !

Sweet is living proof that no matter what your age is you can still sound great. One of very few 80's rockers that still has bite of course you can attest to that he's a Christian and so drugs,smoking and booze were out of the question and that he took good care of his voice. You hear some other rockers from that era such as Tate who is a habitual wine drinker and listen to his tone and how it got shot as well as Tempest,Don Dokken,etc.

Listen to Sweet and Michael Kiske and you will hear how good they still sound. Listen to Tate,Dokken and others and you can hear how bad their tonality has gotten. Perhaps Rob could help these guys get their tone and bite back but I doubt that they want to take the time to hire a vocal coach oh well.

• Administrator

I could help them. I absolutely know I could. They have to be willing to contact me and come in. Which would require them to humble themselves enough to take some guidance from a professional coach. Something that for reasons I can't explain, seems to be difficult for some people.

Michael Sweet?  GORGEOUS SINGER.... Love his color, resonance and technique. He was an inspiration back in the day to me, the music, not so much the faith. 

• Administrator
On June 21, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Jens said:

Daniel heiman, check out all the losthorizon songs. Talking technique in My point of view he' s by far the best highnote tenor Ever to have walked upon the earth.

This link does not work Jens, can you try again?  And try to embed if you could bud. thx.

On 6/21/2012 at 0:44 PM, Jens said:

I cant get that link to work.

is this the same thing?

• Administrator

Cool post.

Ok, here are a few:

Gregoor Van Der Loo

GORGEOUS! From The Netherlands

André Vuurboom 

LOVE THIS!!! Another Dutch band.

Freddi Curcci

Fran Cosmo:

Not sure why you guys have failed to embed Steve Perry yet. He is actually heavier in these later days, the earlier stuff is more "light", but I just love this song and video.

Terry Young, my colleague from Seattle and also a Maestro Kyle student. Big following in Seattle, never made it super big. Great VOWELS!!!  Very much a "signature student" of the Maestro Kyle sound, big rounded vowels.

Ray Alder, without Ray's influence, I might not be doing what Im doing today... LOVE THIS TUNE, so fracking bad ass.

Rob beat me to it. A lot of singers impress but dont really touch you...some of this passion gets thru pretty strongly

and of course my boy Ray Gillen (RIP).....   the day I found my headvoice I was trying to sing the line "I know its too late"

1 hour ago, Robert Lunte said:

I could help them. I absolutely know I could. They have to be willing to contact me and come in. Which would require them to humble themselves enough to take some guidance from a professional coach. Something that for reasons I can't explain, seems to be difficult for some people.

Michael Sweet?  GORGEOUS SINGER.... Love his color, resonance and technique. He was an inspiration back in the day to me, the music, not so much the faith. 

I don't doubt that Rob and you're right they have to be the ones to come to you but it's probably pride that keeps some of these guys from contacting any vocal coach. They either think there isn't anything wrong or that they think they're too high up in the vocal chain that their egos are over-inflated and a vocal coach would bring them down a notch. They need to humble themselves but usually egos get in the way of humility.

58 minutes ago, JonJon said:

I cant get that link to work.

is this the same thing?

Heiman has such an insane voice. Especially on that song. Alder is an excellent vocalist as well but it seems to me he's holding himself back. He needs to let loose his voice like he did on the Perfect Symmetry and Parallels albums.

I'd like to throw out some names myself.

The late Midnight from Crimson Glory's early days.

Roy Khan-Ex Kamelot

Michael Kiske-Ex Helloween