Voice Characterization and singing

Rate this topic

MDEW

I imitate cartoon and celebrity voices. I am also a Musician and Singer. I have no trouble with my lower range.

James Taylor, Jim Croce, even Elton John I have no trouble with. But, My higher range never sounds like me.

I know I can sing higher notes. I sing along with BG's, Aretha Franklin, Beachboys high harmony and can sing the notes. The problem is it sounds more like Aretha Franklin, Miss Piggy, Elmo or maybe a munchkin from the Wizard of Oz.

I am male by the way. The reason I mentioned imitating Cartoon voices and celebrity voices is this. When I am imitating a voice I can jump right into it. the pitch is not a question. Elmo and Miss Piggy are definately above G4.

Mickey Mouse of course is What we refer to as falsetto. Miss Piggy and Elmo are definately not. Some Voices are Charaterized by their Accent. Jeff Foxworthy has what i would call Southern Twang.

Do you feel that there is an Accent For Mixed voice or one that would describe the sound of E4 - G4 ?

The most likely reason you can imitate those rooms so well is that you are adding a ton of twang to get compression when you imitate . When you are trying to sing real high you may be over twanging.

Thank you for your reply.

I have recently read about over twanging and over compressing. If you over compress it will be harder to get the note started and the cords would be to stiff to vibrate freely. But then again, isn't over twanging the way you're supposed to get rock type distortion?

Thank you for your reply.

I have recently read about over twanging and over compressing. If you over compress it will be harder to get the note started and the cords would be to stiff to vibrate freely. But then again, isn't over twanging the way you're supposed to get rock type distortion?

Along with a TON of support . Why not post something you are singing as an example ?

So, sing like Miss Piggy. What do you think Brian Johnson does?

Rats, I think I said that out loud. His "distortion" is not special technique. That's just the sound of his voice plus some "Miss Piggy." To quote Britney Spears, "Oops, I did it again."

Twang away to thine heart's content.

I do have some songs on Soundclick under the name Joe Public. I do not know how to install the link.

I recorded those songs 5 to 10 years ago. My aunt wrote most of the songs and I used a home 12 track recorder to record them.

Back to the over twang/compression, a year or so ago I was driving down the road listening to the radio.

I song came on that I knew was at the top of my comfort range there was an occasional G4. I thought I might try something different. When the song approached the higher notes(Going into the chorus), I tried a thicker feel but looser Hold. Some how it worked. The next 5 songs felt and sounded perfect, and sounded like me not anyone else. Aretha franklin came on and I thought What the heck I'll try it. It sounded and felt great to me. I was trying to stay as loose and free as I could, She did one of her Woo yeah's and I went for it. I did not hit her note but I did go half an octave higher than ever before. I was feeling great..... Then my cell phone rang. I have not yet found that coordination again. But now I know without a doubt that it is there.

I suppose the point I was trying to make with this thread has been misunderstood.

I hear alot about vowel modification, modes, anchoring, twanging the epiglottis, inner smile, support.

It seems like Voice charaterization would be a perfect way to help explain these concepts.

Isn't a basic accent vowel modification, anchoring of different muscles of the face, tongue and neck?

Wouldn't Jeff Foxworthy's be an example of Twang and curbing.Wrong vowel modification maybe but still close.He's whiney with alot of twang. Mickey Mouse for falsetto of course. Patrick from Spongebob, Still falsetto but low register(yes I said Register don't beat me up you get my drift). Spongebob edge? Hulk Hogan Overdrive?

I know how I get these voices and it is hard to explain to other people who want to learn.

for example Fat Albert Low larynx, tongue wide anchored to top teeth at sides, wide neck, lips open kind of like a duck bill plenty of support with air. I have no idea if the larynx is tilted or not.