You could be mine

• TMV World Legacy Member

What do you think? Any tips for working with this one?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8384032/2012/25.6%20you%20could%20be%20mine.mp3

This didn't sound very edgy yet, but I think I'm able to work on that with this song. This song obviously sits high up in the headvoice, which is good since I've been working on my headvoice.

Now I feel that it's time to gradually add some intensity and work with a deeper compression, without losing the headvoice "release". I want to gradually strengthen my voice muscles to be able to hold a bigger, fuller and edgier tone in the upper range, but still not losing that control and "easiness".

Btw that annoying "iiiiiiiiiii" at the beginning is something I sometimes use to find my headvoice placement :)

Really? Thank you :) Obviously I hope to improve the tone in near future, but I think I got something good going on since I can sing a head/mix in a fairly controlled manner here..

Well, done, Opaa. I've long realized that the a big component of Axl's high sound is nasal. More nasal than I care to use. But I have always been inspired by him. At least his singing. The 'tude, not so much. but I digress.

You captured his tone quite well.

I think you should work this up into a full-on cover. Give jonpall a run for his money.

We need a dueling "axl" contest. What do you think?

Thanks. I'm influenced by Axl too and for sure I tend to imitate him a bit when singing this song, but I'm trying to develop my own tone with this, not to capture his tone. And I don't think I'm gonna compete jonpall :)

Haha! That 's great! :D

I believe you're spot on with your assessment; incremental changes! It's a razor's egde you're treading.

I can't really come up with any tips you probably do not know already. However, it's important not to rest too long between each sessions. I've learned the hard way that you need to keep at it quite regularly. Otherwise, you'll end up losing some of your progression.

Also, I find it nice that you're trying to develop your own tone. Trying to sound like someone else might be a motivation, but it might also be the opposite and probably carry further risk of injury.

I've learned the hard way that you need to keep at it quite regularly. Otherwise, you'll end up losing some of your progression.

That's certainly a tip worth mentioning, thanks!

A bit of useless trivia. This song was actually written way back at the beginning of the AFD line-up and almost made it onto that break-out album. Later, of course, it was to be used in the movie, "The Terminator," and came from the Use Your Illusion double-album set. And by that time, the drums were being played by Matt Sorum. Something of a different style than originally conceived by Steven Adler but I think Matt's god of thunder approach worked.