Introvert Vs Extrovert

Rate this topic

MDEW

I desided to change Post but keep the title.

For any of you that teach have you noticed any patterns in vocal weeknesses or strengths stemming from personality traits? For example would someone who is outgoing be more likely to need help letting go of tension .

I'm not a teacher so have no real gauge of this but it's an interesting question and I do have my own thoughts about it. Actually I just had this conversation with my wife this passed weekend and a co-worker today. he plays guitar and says he can't sing. In my wife's case, she said to me the other day, that she could never get on stage and sing like I have. She says she thinks she can at least carry a tune but she could never sing in front of anyone. I know the guitar player at work a long time and he is very insecure.

So, with that in mind, I said to my wife that in my opinion , the reason she doesn't sing better stems from her fear or embarrassment. The same for the insecurity of my friend. This causes them to hold back and not actually sing. It also causes tension and improper breathing and a list of things (domino effect). They are afraid to let the singer out for fear of ridicule.

Introverts!

I am one of those quiet people. I don't have much in common with others. I do like to sing and play guitar. If I have a gig to play I am fine. But If I am practicing at home and I hear a car door I clam up.

It's not that I think I sound bad, It's more because I want to play my style of music and people tend to want to hear something that I do not know or that I flat out do not like.

If I was extroverted I would just either play what I wanted or try their song weather or not I liked it.

Well, there's extroverted, the people looking for approval. Then there's me, a dog on the highway to Hell with no shame. It's a personality defect. My mother pointed out to me a few times that I do whatever I do, "in front of God and everyone."

That's not to say that even extroverts don't get a case of the nerves. Steven Tyler gets a little anxious. Brian Johnson does not. So, one's milage may vary.

What's the worst someone is going to say? You stink? People are going to say that, anyway. Sometimes, they are right. Most times, not.

Here's an irony for you. I know a lady who likes to play guitar and sing and writes her own folks songs. And sometimes would go to open mic nights. But you couldn't hear her. And when you get quiet so that you can hear her better, she sings even softer.

Me, I wail like a banshee. So far, no one has run me off. Though, maybe, they find me physically intimdating. I am 6' 6", 230 lbs, and look like a Hell's Angel that cleaned up for a court appearance. They're just waiting for me to go away, on my own.

:lol:

One of my reasons for writing this post is this. I have been singing for most of my life. All of my family sing, not professionaly but they sing. None have taken lessons. They just do it and they sound great. I sound Good not great. The songs that I want to sing usually have a high note around G#4. I am fine up to F#4. I know this is typical for those of us who have not been trained. Whenever I ask someone who can sing up there they have no idea how they do it. They usually say "I just think of the note and it comes out". Yes I can sing those notes in some sort of head voice. I can sing up to E5. But it does not sound like the guy who is singing the D4 the song started in.

Introvert question is this. Is there typically a general fault such as no support or too tight cord closure that is seen with introverts.

I am familiar with cvt, estill, Tamplin, Lunte, Manning you name it Over 40 years I have been trying to figure this out. I can cry, cackle, twang even sing like elmo or elmer fudd but sing G4 that sounds like a male doesn't happen.

I do have songs on soundclick under the name of Joe Public. If anyone could tell me how to link to it I would be very thankful.

I do have songs on soundclick under the name of Joe Public. If anyone could tell me how to link to it I would be very thankful.

If you go to your soundclick page and hit play on the song you want it comes up in a blue box to play the MP3. Copy the url at the top of the blue box and paste it to your post.

Once you post a song anyone clicking on the link should have access to all your stuff. Or you can just past the url from the whole page here. The artist page with your son list on it. Like I have in my signature.

This is a song that my brother wrote. I played all the instruments. the drum track was provided by the recorder I used. These songs were recorded 10 years ago way before I ever heard of cvt or any of the others I mentioned before.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=5479472&q=hi&newref=1

let me know if you have any advice. Top note should be F#4