Takin' a leap... Worth persuing?

• TMV World Legacy Member

Critiques welcome. I'm just trying to figure out if it's something I ought to persue further... as in seeking out a vocal coach.

It's "Home" , sang by Gweneth Paltrow in Country Strong.

And "We are Glass"

Welcome! I enjoyed both your covers.

Your sense of pitch is good, especially since you were singing unaccompanied.

constructive criticism: I think you need more support for the sound, even if it is quite a gentle song. More support to carry you through the phrases strongly. Your tone is nice, but a little nasal perhaps. I'm not very familiar with the aesthetics of the style you are singing.... so perhaps this is desired? Not sure. It does sound a little pinched though. Dropping your jaw a little more and focusing on resonating in a nice open, relaxed throat could help.

Worth pursuing? silly question :P of course! Keep at it, and welcome to the forum !

Nick

Short answer? Pursue!!! :)

You can sing and that is always a good place to start, having some have some natural ability. I agree with the nasalness on the second song. No big deal that isn't anything major. You seem to be able to control your voice in some areas so that too is good.

Thanks guys! I def understand the nasalness, but not sure how to correct it. Perhaps that's where a coach would come in. Thank you again.

Open to more input as well!

I think you definitely should pursue it, I enjoyed the tone of your voice, a bit nasal perhaps but that is a pretty common thing from what I understand and not a huge thing to correct(maybe your raising your larynx a little too high, but I'm not sure I am by no means an expert).

You're already starting out with a better voice than I am/did, and Nick is right support makes a huge difference, that's the one thing that has helped me more than anything.

Thank you! I'll have to get some sort of guidance... I hadnt a clue as to how to change the nasal sound. Ive always had a problem with not opening my mouth enough... my middle school chorus teacher used to stress that. I have a bad habit of tensing up my mouth and jaw, which I'm sure doesnt help the sound at all. I'll def have to do some homework on this. Thank you again!

I didnt even listen yet, but the decision should not be made on how nice you sound right now, but on what you want to do.

There is no need for divine gifts or superhuman habilities, all it takes is patience and discipline. Wanna sing go for it, no matter what I say. Dont wanna, dont do it, even if we like the results.

Now Ill listen:

I like it :D, what you have right now is really pleasant to listen to. I recomend seeking a coach and working on technique, to protect your voice and make your life easier.

Good Luck!