Finding balance between breathy, pressed/squeezed, and a coordinated

Rate this topic

izzle1989

What a wonderful balance you have to your voice! I would love to hear your voice as it continues to open up and grow more. Have you grown to this point training by yourself?

~~Dante~~

I had been training by myself until August 2011. That's when I started college and formal voice lessons. During the year I didn't really make that much improvement because I was a slacker and didn't make time to practice. As the school year ended I really got serious about practicing and knew exactly what to do.

I can honestly say I knew a lot of things and info about singing before I started college, but as soon as I started taking lessons each concept began to become more concrete. I am learning more about my voice the as time passes and I continue to practice.

I really appreciate the comment and I am excited to see what I can do in the future. I can't wait to start the fall semester.

:cool:

And that's how easy it is just practice practice practice I love it izzie simple 5 tone every way you can do it.

Exactly...You have to just do a variety of things with your voice until you stumble upon that happy medium :-)

I am so grateful to be able to continue to learn and grow.

What notes are you doing this on?

Does it help to do it increments through out the range?

I was doing this exercise on C4-G4 and this exercise is best used in a comfortable area in your upper chest/middle voice to gain coordination. This is not my daily routine it was just an example of what type of sound you should technically be aiming for.

The ideal sound is neither breathy nor pressed, but it is balanced. This is the basic model of "Free Flow" phonation.

I usually practice this exercise up to C5-D5 the area where I start to lose that chest resonance and transition into head voice. As your muscles get stronger you can start to carry more of that full sound higher into your range. I started out only being able to carry a chest dominant sound up to A4 now I can get up to E5 before losing that chest dominant sound.

your chest doesn't dominate at an E5 my friend ;> You can keep chest engaged there yes, but dominant? :P And starting out "only" to an A4 chest dominant? Are you confusing octaves again? __°

LOL what I am saying is I can keep chest engaged to a significant degree up until E5, and I can take my head voice up to E6.

your chest doesn't dominate at an E5 my friend ;> You can keep chest engaged there yes, but dominant? :P And starting out "only" to an A4 chest dominant? Are you confusing octaves again? __°

Also I never confused octaves that was Dstarr...I am in school for Music: Vocal Performance so I wouldn't make a simple mistake like that.

Time to whip out the rulers, gentlemen.

LOL I wasn't trying to sound cocky I was just stating the truth. I am nowhere near perfect and have a lot of training to do before I can even meet the standards that I have for myself. I have learned a lot in school, but I am continuing to learn from people on this site. I feel we should always strive to learn something new from a person that we don't know. Everyone can learn something and I am in no way cocky, but humble to everyone's opinions.

Like I said in my other post I am in no way trying to be cocky, but an A4 is not very high for a tenor. People go to see classically trained tenors for there High C's not there A4's...I did not mean I am singing these in full chest voice, but I am singing them in a chesty sound. I am nowhere close to a "classically trained tenor" but I will be one day.

I grew up singing all the time and my greatest influence was also my toughest critic...My Mom :-) She is a great singer that really influence the path I have chosen now and the amount of practice I have been doing. I have always just wanted to live up to her standards. Growing up singing Gospel Music and Soul with my mom really helped me to see exactly what I wanted to sound like. Now that I am in school and taking formal voice lessons every week I know that my goals are within my reach.

I am a work in progress and progress is all I want :)

I am in school for Music: Vocal Performance so I wouldn't make a simple mistake like that.

Don't be so sure of that.. there are lots of people here with vocal qualifications (I've just finished a degree in the subject myself) and we all make mistakes. There are many people on here who are perhaps "less qualified" than myself in that respect, yet are far superior singers and have greater knowledge than me. A fancy title doesn't mean you're not going to get things wrong and it doesn't mean you're better than anyone else. I'd say if anything, the simplest things are the one's that are most forgotten and overlooked. We spend so much time trying to master the hard stuff that we neglect and take for granted the most basic of principles.

Maybe just climb down a peg or two and take in the view from down here.. ;)

Don't be so sure of that.. there are lots of people here with vocal qualifications (I've just finished a degree in the subject myself) and we all make mistakes. There are many people on here who are perhaps "less qualified" than myself in that respect, yet are far superior singers and have greater knowledge than me. A fancy title doesn't mean you're not going to get things wrong and it doesn't mean you're better than anyone else. I'd say if anything, the simplest things are the one's that are most forgotten and overlooked. We spend so much time trying to master the hard stuff that we neglect and take for granted the most basic of principles.

Maybe just climb down a peg or two and take in the view from down here.. ;)

I can do that :-) I don't mind taking that view. I can always learn something :-) I was just making a statement that I wouldn't mix up octaves and I was trying to tell you that I wasn't the one who mixed up octaves. I would have done that a couple of years ago though :P

We are all here for the same reason and no person is above another. I would never say I am above anyone because we are all here to learn. I was a singer before I knew about all this head voice, resonance, blending mumbo jumbo lol

I just love to sing and love to learn/teach singing.

I guess this text does tend to make everyone seem like arrogant know it all's

Humble#

that's true too.

but a lot depends on the song, the lyrics, what preceeds the high note, what word/vowel is the high note, and where you need to sit during the song (the tessitura).

let's not forget the duration of the note. these all all factors that can make a note like a g4 feel more difficult than a d5.

I can do that :-) I don't mind taking that view. I can always learn something :-) I was just making a statement that I wouldn't mix up octaves and I was trying to tell you that I wasn't the one who mixed up octaves. I would have done that a couple of years ago though :P

We are all here for the same reason and no person is above another. I would never say I am above anyone because we are all here to learn. I was a singer before I knew about all this head voice, resonance, blending mumbo jumbo lol

I just love to sing and love to learn/teach singing.

I guess this text does tend to make everyone seem like arrogant know it all's

Humble#

Yea, saying stuff over text can be really misinterpreted... Just reading that back I think I sound really harsh.. sorry! I wasn't having a go, just rambling! :P

izzle, here's a perfect example of what i mean about difficult songs.

in the first video, it's lip synced. that's the recording.

in the second video, they are really live. notice the difference. you can hear and see the difficulty involved. it's also cut short.

this is demanding vocal because all through the song you have to keep returning to those g4's in a strong chesty mix.

the stamina needed, the control needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXtNYmf4vxg

Yea, saying stuff over text can be really misinterpreted... Just reading that back I think I sound really harsh.. sorry! I wasn't having a go, just rambling! :P

Trust me I understand. We have all taken things out of context and totally went off tangent LOL...This went from a post of a simple exercise to a whole different convo. No harm taken :-)

izzle, here's a perfect example of what i mean about difficult songs.

in the first video, it's lip synced. that's the recording.

in the second video, they are really live. notice the difference. you can hear and see the difficulty involved. it's also cut short.

this is demanding vocal because all through the song you have to keep returning to those g4's in a strong chesty mix.

the stamina needed, the control needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXtNYmf4vxg

I understand you completely and I find this is no way "easy" to do. I don't even know how we got off the topic of the original post LOL

I wish we could do video conferences on here it would be so much more beneficial.