Rocking in the Free World - New singer looking for critique

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi there,

Hope that this link works - I have been recently working with a new band on some covers and other new material but I have never been recorded before and I'm looking for some feedback. I know that my voice tends to be a bit high pitched (or at least that's what it sounds like to me). I have been taking vocal lessons, but any tips would be great.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/66056177/2012-06-28%20Rockin%20In%20The%20Free%20World.mp3

I won't critique the singing on technical points but I will give an opinion of what I hear. First I think you are pronouncing the words to grammatically correct. That;s good for school or English class but not for rock! :)

Phrases like "going to" don't sound right pronounced like that. In this song "going to" should be "gonna."

"She puts the kid away and she's gonna get a hit." Or at least modify it to sound in between.

The same holds true for the rest of the song. It needs to flow and be free. The main thing is that it is missing the angst. This song is angry and it's driving. Especially on lines and phrases like the one above.

"I see a woman in the night

With a baby in her hand

Under an old street light

Near a garbage can

Now she puts the kid away,

and she's gone to get a hit

She hates her life,

and what she's done to it

There's one more kid

that will never go to school

Never get to fall in love,

never get to be cool"

That whole passage is angry. Or should be.

Live it, feel it, sing it :)

Other than that it is hard to really hear you on the recording so while it didn't sound bad it is hard to tell. As for the band? Well, I won't go there :) Let me just mention "timing." ;)

Good job though, keep working man.

Your voice didn't sound too bad, but I'm with Tommy you gotta break the language rules a bit, get that feeling into it. Can't really offer any tips since you already sing better than I can.

The only thing that really bugged me about it was the guitar tone.

Thanks so much for the feedback! My vocal coach has me working on vowel sounds and clarity right now so maybe I'm just overdoing it on the enunciation. I'm also battling with my band with the timing for certain songs we do - they play too slow on some, and too fast on others and it is hard to get into rhythm of songs when it doesn't have the same beat you're used to practising. But I guess that's all part of being in a band!