Wonderful Tonight (Eric Clapton)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Here is a cover of Eric Clapton's Wonderful Tonight, something I recorded last month. I never posted it because I didn't like the mix and my voice cracked toward the end; I was singing a lot that day and wasn't about to do the song over. Also it isn't how I have been trying to sing it. I am still trying to nail the first line but just don't ever get it right. I've tried the word "evening" every way possible. I just don't like any of it. Oh well. :)

Anyway, I can't record anything for the next two-three weeks so I dug this one out. I might as well....what the hell :D

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11666051&q=hi&newref=1

Excellent job, Tommy. Solution to the weak sound in the word "evening." Problem is you are singing it as you would pronounce it in speach, which is tripping you up because it requires a difficult switch of intonation. Ee on the first syllable is fine because, in a two-syllable word, the right thing to do is make the first syllable subordinate to the last or second syllable. Shade the vowel sound on the second syllable "ing" to eh or ay sound, as in "eev-nayng."

You've got such a warm, smoky timbre to your voice and I think you captured Slow Hand's intent brilliantly.

Thanks for that tip, I'll try it out. I have played with a few different variations. Eevneng, eevniing, etc. I even tried to match the falsetto he does on the same parts of the other verses. Such as "we go to a partee" or "So I give her the car kees" Those are similar lines to "It's late in the evening." I have no problem with those. But the falsetto on evening didn't sound right so I left it out. I'll have to play some more.

Thanks.

Hi Tommy ! you sound fine to me , if your not happy with the your approach to the lyrics " its late in the evening " try to use maybe a small bit of vibrato in the word evening , so the end of evening " ning " has vibrato in it . Im doing it now myself and it works . It should work for " so we go to a party " ty being vibrato . Hope this helps you and keep singing the blues .

Thanks sidsings, I give that a try too.

<snip>... keep singing the blues .

I intend to :) I'm happy when people like my blues or want to hear more because a lot of people don't like Blues music. Especially young people. Then there are those who look down on it as "easy" to sing or play.

The only thing that stops me from singing more of it, or rather recording more of it, is a lack of backing tracks for the Blues stuff that I like.

Thanks again Sid and thanks for listening. :)