What Is This Screaming Technique?

Rate this topic

Overdrive

I was listening to this live recording of a band I like, and even though the dude's singing suffered a bit live (lol), his screams did not. Personally I think they sound great, and they sound kind of different from what I usually hear.

Skip to 1:30 to hear the section with the most screams. (Also at the very end too, and his scream kind of sounds reminiscent of a burp to me)

That's a really cool scream! I've been wondering how to do this kind for a long time.. It's kinda got that mid sound but with a low grumbling underneath. This kind of scream always sounds huge yet doesn't compromise diction that much. It sounds like a false cord scream with a very open throat and specific tongue placement, very similar to Chris Baretto's scream at 0.50 till 1.04 (just to hear it isolated). You can really hear those false cords rattling!

• Administrator

Activation of the false vocal folds or ventricular folds below E4... you can train and build the muscle memory for this, but have to be careful. Good thing this guy has a good drummer and musicians to back him up , otherwise, he would just be a chest voice, flat belter... the band is carrying this guy in my opinion.

That's a really cool scream! I've been wondering how to do this kind for a long time.. It's kinda got that mid sound but with a low grumbling underneath. This kind of scream always sounds huge yet doesn't compromise diction that much. It sounds like a false cord scream with a very open throat and specific tongue placement, very similar to Chris Baretto's scream at 0.50 till 1.04 (just to hear it isolated). You can really hear those false cords rattling!

That does sound pretty similar! Have you figured it out?

Activation of the false vocal folds or ventricular folds below E4... you can train and build the muscle memory for this, but have to be careful. Good thing this guy has a good drummer and musicians to back him up , otherwise, he would just be a chest voice, flat belter... the band is carrying this guy in my opinion.

If I do a cookie-monster voice for a couple of weeks every day, will this lead me to eventually developing that kind of scream? Just wondering what sufficient training is :P

And yeah he really is not very good live (which is very important), he is actually a very interesting lyricist though and as you said, the great bandmates beside him give him a huge boost.

I think the band was great. The drummer, out-freaking-standing. Organic feel like Steven Adler, phenomenal tightness like Taylor from Foo Fighters. The guy's a genius, imo.

A guitar player channelling KK Downing in a modern song? Excellent and it seems to fit, as well. The singer, bit is of Linkin Park but in the other direction. Choirboy verses and low scream as a punctuation in the chorus. Well done, imo.

I don't do that sound, hardly at all. I can do a low growl that grew out of trying to squeal like a pig and not making it. However, I can only do that sound once a day, as it hurts. But there is a program called the Zen of Scream, I think. If I remember, it is all open throat and does not involve the true folds, at all. And it takes huge amounts of air. At least, that is what John Bush has said, if I remember correctly.

Tons of ways to do something similar, but false folds or not, overdo this, or do it without a very solid foundation and you will be in trouble. Check some clips of Corey Taylor singing other material out of Slipknot. His voice is under his control, thats what you need first and foremost.

Another great example is Russel Alen.

I was watching the Revolver Golden God awards. There was a band put together with notables in the heavy metal and hard rock genre. Duff McKagan on guitar. And Corey Taylor singing. Out of costume. It turns out that he is a tall and handsome guy with a voice that borders on operatic. So, he knows to take care of his voice, first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYHidUsJ06o