What am I? Bass or Baritone ((sample songs at the highest to lowest))

Rate this topic

This is my latest vocal update, I'd like to know what my vocal range is and how to improve my voice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjFjHbqv9Pw&feature=plcp First is the lower song that showed the lower part of my range, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6x090j0Avs&feature=youtu.be is the highest of my range

Its impossible to classify a voice before a lot of trainning is already done man.

Still, I do not hear such a deep tone there. Your voice is heavier than the more common lighter tone, and is very interesting to listen, still to say that you would be a baritone when trainned, I think its a long guess. Maybe yes, maybe not.

Reaching the notes is not enough, you have to project your voice and retain brilliance and definition of vowels, listen to this:

Notice how the bass is not only reaching the notes, as he is filling up the room with his voice, there is a lot of projection there, and its very defined.

You have a lot of potential there, a not so common kind of tone and your voice is quite relaxed. On the downside, articulation is locking up a little bit and the vowels are note as defined as they could be. Find a coach/teacher and train man.

GL!

Thanks so much for the advise. When i hear these videos it makes me realize how far i have to go!! My artic is very locked up and if im singing in the upper parts of my range it really feels like imma fall off the notes, my vowels i know im havin trouble with E I mostly, this actually my first year of singing forreal forreal since i go in collage being a vouce major but now i really do think imma need a private coach, teacher because theres only two voice teachets at my collage they are great but they cant really have in depth class because they have to take in other student that are vouce majors,but thanks again!!!!!

Usually E(EH) is not such a trouble, maybe its because of your native language. I(ee) on the other hand is always the source and the solution for all problems :P, dont even try fixing it on your own, basicly you gotta replace the EE you have right now for another vowel you dont even know yet.

But, back to the subject: my point was that you should not concern so much with the notes you "hit" right now, rather you should be concerned on developing your voice and then the classification will come. GL!

Amen to what Felipe said. Get some training under your belt before you are classified, not always easy when others will seem anxious to classify you. I know of a case (not me, by the way) where a young man was typed as a dramatic baritone by others, mainly because those few people that cast him a) thought all men should be baritones, B) preferred baritones in the lead roles. C) didn't know what they were doing.

The young man just could not get the full ring of baritone and so his instructors, and then himself, assumed he was not working hard enough, not doing enough with his voice. In spite of the fact that he was wearing himself out, straining, sometimes getting hoarse.

So, he went to another opera coach who gave him a listen. Then the coach suggested, at least for giggles and something different, try some light tones on higher notes. The strain went away, the ring increased, and the beauty of the voice came out. It turns out he was actually a lyric tenor and had been mis-cast all along.

So, any teacher with some common sense is going to wait a while and see what it is that your voice does before they classify you. Even with the danger of someone teachers not diagnosing correctly, I would say, still, listen to the teachers you will have at college. Someone, somewhere, is paying hard-earned money for that college program. Either you, your parents, or hardworking taxpayers like me. Someone is paying for it. So, at least give those who are receiving the money a listen. Plus, they can hear you in person, which makes all the difference in the world. Artifacts in recording can mask or hide some things about the voice.

Granted, we have several people here who are qualified experts in voice, ranging from performing artists to recording artists to paid voice teachers and a few armchair wannabes and then, there's people like me, who just don't know when to quit.

:)

Who should you listen to? I would start first with the people you are paying money toward. If that is not working for you, quit paying and pay somewhere else.