Vocal Edge to Singing and Talking

Rate this topic

jzhang172

When I talk, there's always a small vocal fry and edge I can feel that comes after everything I say. It's quick and you might not notice it but it's there. I try to sing and talk from my mouth as much as possible, but it's still there. How can I fix this and is this going to ruin my voice?

When I sing correctly, I can't hear a vocal fry there at all, so if I've been talking my whole life with this vocal fry, what can I do about it?

When I talk, there's always a small vocal fry and edge I can feel that comes after everything I say. It's quick and you might not notice it but it's there. I try to sing and talk from my mouth as much as possible, but it's still there. How can I fix this and is this going to ruin my voice?

When I sing correctly, I can't hear a vocal fry there at all, so if I've been talking my whole life with this vocal fry, what can I do about it?

jzhang172: try some attention to the onset of your speaking tone, and your releases. Don't let the intensity of the spoken tone decline toward the end of the spoken phrase.

I hope this is helpful.

Having a lot of vocal fry when you talk is completely normal thing, and it's not gonna ruin anything about your voice. So to put the above in my form, imagine yourself talking in a powerful head tone, sorta near falsetto, but with more strength rather than lightness.

I worried about this myself for awhile. Well, not actually worried, but gave it some thought and concern. But I tend to speak low normally, until I get a little excited. I think I should be more concerned for the point I get excited and raise my voice rather than the lower tones. When I speak higher is when I think I should ensure I am bringing my voice up out of the throat more as not to cause strain.

But if we are low toned speakers then I say let it be unless you are speaking publicly or lecturing, teaching etc. For that I would think it's more like singing and needs to be interesting and pleasant as well as protect your voice; so it needs to move up out of the throat. For everyday speaking I don't concern myself anymore. As long as you know the difference for singing.

I also find the Straw exercise helpful (except most times I don't use the straw anymore) :)

I just purse the lips real small.

it's good that you're cognizant of this. i personally would try to eliminate it in your speaking voice.

try to get it in the habit of keeping the voice elevated out of the throat.

see if you can learn to speak in the same setup you use to do an "ng." you'll bring in some nice carrying resonance....might be a little nasal, but it's better than scraping the folds.

also, see if you can remember to use light support even for speech. this will keep you from trailing off the tone like steve fraser was saying.

if you have speak a lot, or need to elevate your volume. after such, just do some quick "v" sirens, or lip bubbles, or straw hums, or gentle humming to give the folds an invigorating massage.

say you just spoke a lot?..... just give them a quick touch up....

people don't realize that an improper speaking voice can make you suceptible to polyps and nodules as much if not more than improper singing.

Having a lot of vocal fry when you talk is completely normal thing, and it's not gonna ruin anything about your voice. So to put the above in my form, imagine yourself talking in a powerful head tone, sorta near falsetto, but with more strength rather than lightness.

The reason why we speak in this way is far more psychological than most people would like to think. We have walk around the earth all of our lives afraid to show any emotion and express ourselves because of fear of being ridiculed, hurt, or talk about in any way or form. We have to learn to let go and be proud and happy about what we have done and what we can do. We have to be confident within ourselves and it will show on the exterior. Whenever we get excited or show any emotion when we speak it can be heard and the same thing goes for singing.

Singing technique and psychology 101:

1. We tend to stand with incorrect posture because of fear or insecurity: This causes us to collapse our chest cavity which does not allow us to use our respiratory system correctly. We either slouch which closes off our respiratory system, or we go to the other extreme and take on a military like stance that causes a lot of tension between our body and respiratory system.

2. We tend to hold our stomach in when we breathe so we don't look fat: This causes us to not fully use our respiratory system to its full potential. This stems from the previous point!

3. We tend to soften the edges to our voice by making it breathy or we use vocal fry which can lead to a pressed tone. This is all a direct result of the problems that are created by the first two responses.

I can go on and on about this, but the key point is to remember that this tension is created by insecurity within ourselves. We should live life with emotion and we shouldn't hold ourselves back because of bad omen. You voice and your life is very important to me and I am sure it is very important to the people around you. Share your knowledge and emotion with the world and don't be afraid.

We must breathe to live! That is why breathing is the foundation of our technique! It is the foundation of our lives.

respectfully, you have valid points, but i believe there's a lot more to it than just being insecure. there's cultural differences, ethnic differences, there's life experiences, physical issues, age differences, temperment differences....... all can play a part.

also, you might be a confident, secure, demonstrative, overzealous type, and you might get into trouble because of your confidence, (or cockiness) depends on how you look at it, you push the heck out of your voice and ruin it.

i have these guys that come into my video store.....they speak so freakin' loud normally, i have to be careful not to start "guy talking" with them and screw up my voice...lol!!

respectfully, you have valid points, but i believe there's a lot more to it than just being insecure. there's cultural differences, ethnic differences, there's life experiences, physical issues, age differences, temperment differences....... all can play a part.

also, you might be a confident, secure, demonstrative, overzealous type, and you might get into trouble because of your confidence, (or cockiness) depends on how you look at it, you push the heck out of your voice and ruin it.

i have these guys that come into my video store.....they speak so freakin' loud normally, i have to be careful not to start "guy talking" with them and screw up my voice...lol!!

I agree with you completely.

Edge you mean as in distortion? Or a feeling of buzz?

Record it please, its better to understand.

Anyways, exercise great care before trying to change your spoken voice on your own. ENTs and Phonoaudiologists are the professionals to seek if you are having problems when speaking.

And if you are having no problems other than starting to notice certain patterns (as your perception develops, you will notice more and more), like having a tired voice on the end of the day, soar throat, cracks and brakes of register, do not tamper with it.

Listen to what Steven Fraser said.

Jonpall had a good description of it. "Crashing the note." Because I would do the same thing.

And yes, it was at least partially cultural. Men around here drop the breath and note at the end of a phrase or word.