Holy crap!!! (massive range gains)

Rate this topic

Chavie

Ive recently been experimenting with 2 octave sirens

on "Eh" "oo" "oh" and using some of the advice geno gave me about "ng" exercises

Then i found this vid...and practiced the "i am a robot" thing

I found the "mask, teeth vibration" thing ive been reading about forever.

In the past week my range has went from C3-C5 TO A2-F5 full voice !! sometimes as low as E2 in the mornings.

I've went forever thinking C5 was the end of the road for me.

For anyone having the same troubles as i did, i recommend that video to learn twang

also i found working hard on my low notes has made my upper range more comfortable

Also as ronws has posted a ton of times

try just holding a note (high but comfortable) and playing around with resonance till you find a ring.

Sorry for the ranting but im excited lol

Ive recently been experimenting with 2 octave sirens

on "Eh" "oo" "oh" and using some of the advice geno gave me about "ng" exercises

Then i found this vid...and practiced the "i am a robot" thing

I found the "mask, teeth vibration" thing ive been reading about forever.

In the past week my range has went from C3-C5 TO A2-F5 full voice !! sometimes as low as E2 in the mornings.

I've went forever thinking C5 was the end of the road for me.

For anyone having the same troubles as i did, i recommend that video to learn twang

also i found working hard on my low notes has made my upper range more comfortable

Also as ronws has posted a ton of times

try just holding a note (high but comfortable) and playing around with resonance till you find a ring.

Sorry for the ranting but im excited lol

That is what Rob teaches in the Four Pillars of singing. That twangy resonance.

One thing I have found helpful in gaining range are the instructional courses by Jaimie Vendera. My husband is an total fan and attributes his powerful Axl Rose range to his exercises. I think there must be some truth to it. I began to do some of the scales he has demonstrated in his videos, and have noticed some positive changes.

www.buildabettervoice.com:D

One thing I have found helpful in gaining range are the instructional courses by Jaimie Vendera. My husband is an total fan and attributes his powerful Axl Rose range to his exercises. I think there must be some truth to it. I began to do some of the scales he has demonstrated in his videos, and have noticed some positive changes.

www.buildabettervoice.com:D

Yea "raise your voice" & "Ultimate breathing workout" are awesome books

One thing that bothered me was something RockTheStage says in the comments sections: "The sound comes out of the mouth and nose, not only the mouth."

Now that can't be right, can it? I mean, if sound comes out of the nose, then the tone is nasal, isn't it? It is indeed a very easy way for a beginner to feel that sympathetic resonance and probably could provide a way out for people that just can't bring themselves to sing confidently and always "swallow" the sound. But is it the right kind of resonance in the end?

I know it's a matter of the listener's preferences but in my case at least that sort of acoustic (and air) leakage used to objectively destabilize my tone a lot until I realized I *am* nasal and it took my girlfriend to point out I was speaking like I was having a cold when I thought I was speaking "resonantly". Then I did Ingo Titze's straw exercise and realized that I can't *not* blow air through the nose when vocalizing through the straw. It took me a month or so to get rid of that and I feel more confident now, especially on the low head tones.

It depends on the open or closed parts of the sinus and a relative amount of air. The voice that Sylvester Stallone created for the character of Rocky is closed off sinus, like a boxer who's nose has been broken too many times. Sounds like he has a permanent head cold. The other too nasal sound is someone like Chef Paula Dean, who speaks with an accent indicative of Georgia in the US. Where she speaks through her nose. You not only hear resonance, you hear air.

For me, the mouth kind of acts like a flute or other wind instrument. The notes may resonate in some area and we feel the sympathetic vibrations in certain areas, but it still mostly comes out of the mouth. Though I may be wrong. But head notes and high notes do require access to the sinus cavity. That is where the small resonating spaces needed for high notes exist.

Trip, I think you're a bit confused. When you have a cold and a stuffy nose, there can obviously be no air and little to no nasal resonance. That's the sound you get when you sing only through your mouth. So I wouldn't call it nasal...

You usually get the best sound when you mix the mouth and the nasal reconance.

When you sing only through your mouth, it tends to get weighty and dark, nasal is light and bright. Try to mix both colours at the same time - not only does it sound good, but also makes it easier to sing thoughout your whole range.

Does it make sense?

Singing only through the mouth is something I haven't called nasal as well :) Yeah, talking like you've got a cold is not the best way to put it, but it is a muffled, honky sort of sound like trying to pronounce a vowel and a nasal consonant at the same time - which is exactly what nasally speaking/singing people do, intentionally or not.

Another easy diagnostic - vocalize through a straw and at some point pinch your nose. A change in the sound - you're nasal. No change - no nasality.

What I call nasality: that whine that country-singers tend to add to their voice on the middle-to-high-notes. I'm not talking about nasal resonance, but a nasal sound.

Also, the way stuff sounds in your head is markedly different than the way it sounds to others, as I found out when my gf called me out on it.