Painkiller - my attempt

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi,

Sorry for copying Olem's thread;] This is me trying to sing Painkiller. This kind of vocals is definitely the most difficult stuff for me. It's a real struggle. Keeping it light, bright, distorted and resonant at the same time is the hardest thing, especially in the last part (around E5-F#5). Please critique - I'd apreciate all tips:) Need to be able to sing this song well one day!

https://www.box.com/s/367cbafee54162b65746

Fantastic, DjDeth, congratulations, you nailed it IMO. It´s impressive how you managed to keep the distortion up there.

Not too long ago, I saw JP perform this song on an awards show. Except for the backing harmonies on your recording, since there were no backing harmonies on the JP live performance, your recording sounded like that performance. You matched his timbre exactly, as far as I can hear. You sang it exactly as he did.

Absolutely astounding, DJ. I genuflect to your godliness in metal, as well.

Great! :D

Your pronunciation, which is a key factor here, is very good! You're outdoing me by a mile, so hats off!

Sounds like you're using 2 different "voices" (perhaps 3 with the ending). Am I right?

I've been trying the whole thing with a voice close to what you're using during the "he is the painkiller [...]", but it's a bitch to do the verses with it. Haha! It's too low for me. When transposing the whole song up a few steps, I find it to be easier.

I need to do this as well!; get with it! It's great fun when you get more than one singing the same song! :)

Luv the distortion. Pretty cool man

Verses sound's more solid.

If you feel like the harder parts comes with some strain, IMO you should check your vowels (position of your tongue - jaw tension)

I have also checked this one a while ago. I have used softer onset and more distorted (rattled) sound - this way it come's really easy for me https://www.box.com/s/cda780eca047f4413666

Regards! :)

OMERTAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys:)

Enander: You are right, I used a slightly different approach on the verses and the chorus. The distortion in verses has a 'bigger grain', if you know what I mean. I also think it's great to hear many people trying their best on the same song:) Waiting for your take on "Painkiller";]

Daug: Thanks for the advice, I'll see if it works. I like your version very much. What do you mean by softer onsets?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It's been over a year since my last Painkiller attempt:) Here's my recent take on the verse, acapella:

https://app.box.com/s/jxego7dekgo8z0m0lu2i

I like it a bit more than the one I've posted at the beginning of this thread, the sound is more open. What do you think?

Dr. Evil - sorry for the late answer;) You can find the track on youtube and download it with any flv to mp3 converter (there are also online converters). Just type 'Painkiller instrumental' in Youtube search.

I listened to both the a capella and the mixed track with the accompaniment. And it sounded really cool.

The question I have now is can you do other JP or even solo Halford stuff that was not so rattly? Not busting your chops or putting you on the spot. I just liked what you did here and wondered how you do on the other stuff.

I was watching an interview with Halford, originallly from Great Britain, but later from Arizona in the USA, that "Painkiller" is his favorite JP song. So, I think you chose wisely and did a good job.