Are singers born? Or can they be made??

Rate this topic

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Help me out here.

Do you think great singers are simply born with natural talent or is it something that can be developed through proper voice training?

I think with the right teaching and enough dedication and practice, most people can learn to play the guitar well enough to be an amazing guitar player and play professionally. But most people will never quite be Jimmy Hendrix or Eddie Van Halen. But you don't have to be, to be an amazing guitar player.

Likewise I think with the right teaching and enough dedication and practice, most people can learn to be amazing singers and sing professionally. Most will probably never quite be Robert Plant or Freddie Mercury.

Surely, can be trainned, depends on discipline and willpower more than anything else.

Depends also on what you define as great. If you mean just a next popstar, a good audio engineer and a coach can make anyone able to speak sound nice.

On the other hand, within what I consider great, its simply impossible to perform without trainning.

Since this is a technique oriented forum, the answer is not only yes but only through trainning.

I think with the right teaching and enough dedication and practice, most people can learn to play the guitar well enough to be an amazing guitar player and play professionally. But most people will never quite be Jimmy Hendrix or Eddie Van Halen. But you don't have to be, to be an amazing guitar player.

Likewise I think with the right teaching and enough dedication and practice, most people can learn to be amazing singers and sing professionally. Most will probably never quite be Robert Plant or Freddie Mercury.

Remylebeau. Excellent analogy.

Depends on what you consider great. Someone who is technically proficent or someone who can make you cry or laugh or make you miss your dad so much you have to go call him. I prefer the later. I'm not sure you can train emotional sincerity, altho there are actors that I totally believe so maybe it can be trained also.

All depends on how you see it, i think its harder to develop the artistic side of singing. You can train muscles and get stronger more range more beautiful tone. But there's à reason famous singers are famous :)

Greatness is the ability to dedicate all your talent (which is a matter of training and absorption of musical models) to a single idea. So yes, it is not inborn. It's being able to overcome the obstacles before you (which are socially/psychologically conditioned).

Yes chamcham even though they are not your personal taste they Will be liked by many more Than for example you and me.

But the reason because they arefamous is they are good looking and have the worlds greatest songwriters(put any Spears song in à metalband and it would be killer)

Not all singers have to develop their artistic side as many famous ones have other people do that for them.

I can only speak for Myself, im only steps away from getting the rockvoice ive always wanted, Will this make me à famous singer... No

Famous singers are born, they have traits that make people Wanna buy their shit/investera in them because they can make profit.

The first question drew no distinction between great and famous and obscure and pitiful, or any combination thereof. Simply asking, are singers born or does it take training? Depends on perspective. And definition. Is a singer only a "singer" once they can sing at least 2 octaves at least well enough to fit into some fach? I mean, just taking fame out of the equation. There are many excellent singers in this forum who are not famous. In fact, this is the only I place I know of them.

I do't know that we're born singing but we are born imitating. And if people in your family sang while you were learning speech and how to do something besides cry, that is likely to influence you. We are products of our environment, in ways I am still learning about. I owe a lot of how I am to my mother. From the insatiable thirst for knowledge to the need to prove how much I know (so she can be proud of me. It's a motivation below the conscious level, regardless of my current age.) Which explains my lengthy, verbose replies. Blame it on Mommy. ;)

People in my family sang. My mother, grandmother, step grandfather, my younger brother, Scott, whom you people know as slstone. No one except my step grandfather was specifically trained in singing. My step grandfather received some coaching from the choir director in church. Our father started as music major at the Uni. of South Dakota. So, music was all around. And while I have other psychological trauma from growing up, singing was not one of them. No one ever told me that I could not sing. Other than trying teach me to sing as a bass (impossible, I know) my step grandfather's advice was usually, "figure it out." Or correct me when I went off-key.

Then, again, am I singer by someone's definition, aside from my own? It feels like I have always sang. I've just gotten stronger, louder at high pitches over the years.

Training helps. Even Tiger Woods, swinging club since he could stand up enough to swing a club, trains. What is training?. We liken it, often, to a muscle condition, like weightlifting or running. It's not that. It's training of reflexes and responses. Which is coordination. Different people learn coordination at different rates. How long before someone is declared a singer?

And this will draw the greatest ire and discontent. Each voice has limits. I know it feels good to think that each and every voice can do each and every thing that any other voice can do, if you just dial in the widgets correcty. It won't work that way. But faith can be stronger than reality. The basso-baritone that wants to sound like Steve Perry. My personal favorite, the tenor who wants to sing stuff down in the 2nd octave. It reminds me of the joke (applicable to any musician) of how many singers it takes to change a light bulb. 5.

1 to do it and 4 to stand around and say "I can do that."

Even "natural" singers are training, whether they see it as that, or not. For each time they sing is both training and performance.

Barring physical deformity, each person can sing. What holds them back is how they speak their language and what attitudes they have about themselves as a result of growing up. In other words, singing is mental. And the hardest part of singer training is not the excercises and techniques, which can certainly help, it's the removing of the wrong things, which I didn't quite get to in a thread response about habits. Yes, one breaks a bad habit by creating a new one and sticking only to that new, good habit. But first, you also have to quit valuing the old habit.

Sometimes, I think, people for whom English is not the first language may actually have an easier time because they are often having to sing completely different than how they speak. It might just be harder for someone born speaking english with whatever accent they have. If that makes sense.

So, the answer to the title of the thread is, "yes."

To get straight to the point even natual born singers must train to be great singers. The inborn part may be the desire to sing as well as posible and the willingness to train to get there.

Most singers are born but to answer your question, yes some are in fact made. I know this because I work part-time in a norweigan factory where we primarily produce black metal singers, but have also been known to have made classic singers such as Michael Bolton and Sam Cooke (I'm not supposed to say so keep quiet)

On the count of wheter or not born singers can learn to sing, where there is a will there is a way. Anyone could learn it, some will need more help than others.

Wow, this thread brought about a plethora of good well-considered opinions. The consensus seems to be a simple "Yes and No." Yes, a non-spectacular singer can be trained to have a career, but No, they will probably never become Elvis.

So, what actually defines a great singer? And how do you feel about such legends as Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan? Where do they fit?

IMO Dylan is a horrible singer, but a great storyteller.

A great singer IMO is someone who can sing very well, technically and make it sound great. Singers who have poor technique but still send emotions are not great singers in my eyes, just good musicians. Singing is a skill, you can be a great singer and make crap music...

Of course Everyone is born with the potential to become a great singer and most people can be trained. Some people have a head start and can get there quicker.

What makes a great singer? As they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" so the definition of a great singer will vary tremendously. One of my personal definitions is "how well a singer can convey the message and connect emotionally with the listener." Under this definition bob Dylan would be one of the all time great singers. Although I would never view him as technically good. In fact i think he is technically incompetent - but that doesn't really matter.

I love willie Nelson - and think he does have pretty good technique. He certainly makes an emotional connection - so yes I would say he is great.

Of course Everyone is born with the potential to become a great singer and most people can be trained. Some people have a head start and can get there quicker.

What makes a great singer? As they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" so the definition of a great singer will vary tremendously. One of my personal definitions is "how well a singer can convey the message and connect emotionally with the listener." Under this definition bob Dylan would be one of the all time great singers. Although I would never view him as technically good. In fact i think he is technically incompetent - but that doesn't really matter.

I love willie Nelson - and think he does have pretty good technique. He certainly makes an emotional connection - so yes I would say he is great.

Geno, great points. All well taken! ... Are you sure you are not secretly a vocal coach?

I can hardly stand to listen to Dylan sing, But I love Dylan songs even when Dylan is singing them. I have heard Willy off key more than on, But I love Willy and love to hear him sing. What makes them great is the fact that even though they may not be the best singers if you hear their songs while surfing the radio you just have to stop and listen.

Geno, great points. All well taken! ... Are you sure you are not secretly a vocal coach?

Ha Ha - ah...no... Just a fellow musician hungry for knowledge just like the next guy / gal

Willie Nelson actually sings properly. And, within his style. And follows rule number one. Do what it is that your voice can do and don't do what it cannot do. His voice is excellent for ballads and jazz with that Texas Swing. So, that is what he does. You won't catch him kicking his own behind because he cannot do "The Immigrant Song" by Led Zep.

Bob Dylan has never been the best singer. But he has always been a stellar songwriter. His songs have become monstrous as covers for other artists, such as Jimi Hendrix, et al. He once said in an interview that he was trying to sound like folk singer / songwriter Woody Guthrie (father of folk singer Arlo Guthrie.) He didn't quite get that sound.

A while ago, someone defined the difference between emotional singers and technical singers. Dylan is in the former category. People listen to him for the emotion and imagery, not technical voice perfection. He never sange a high C in his life and never will. And he is a legend in his own time. But is he a singer? Yes. Why? Because he sings. True, he scoops notes. A lot. A friend of mine went to see him about 10 years ago and got tired of the current monotone of his voice. But the songs live on. Or, is it fair to class Bob Dylan with, say, Geoff Tate, who is also a prolific and astounding songwriter, and a technically perfect singer, to boot?

In a quote, Axl Rose once expressed admiration for the singing style and tone of Chris Cornell, not long before Sound Garden hit it big.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Axl also admired the rasp of Rod Stewart, sometihng that he knew he could not do.

They CAN be made, does not mean in every case though.

Listen to Freddie Mercury before 1972-3. Then listen to Queen's Live Aid in 1985. You will be amazed! He is debated to be the best male tenor/Rock singer of the 20th century.