Morning after

Rate this topic

gogoriviera

I do a "pianoman" type gig for about 4 hours nightly on weekends mostly. I have played piano since age 5 but have been singing professionally for about 20 years. I have recently been studying vocal techniques and still seem to be worn out by Sunday morning after two nights of singing. My voice feels"grungy" by Sunday morning- is this fatigue or strain? I do sit ,obviously, when I play piano and sing but I do focus on breathing and posture. Not sure why my voice seems so blown out after two nights- I have been doing 5 hour nights up until summertime and they cut back hours.

I appreciate feedback

After singing for fours hours(including 2 , 15-20 minute breaks) my voice feels a little worn out. I have the 4 pillar system of Roberts - have taken a few private skype lessons, I have Elizabeth Sabines book and Dena Murrays books and work on all three methods- Lunte, Sabine, Murray- they each have their strong points for me.

Well, its technique then.

The worn out you feel is damage that happened. Not the get immediate hoarse damage, but enough to get the folds bruised, which then results into a swollen state. When you rest, they swell even more to heal. Number one thing is to try to preserve your voice as much as possible on the morning after, and if possible for the whole day, ensuring that it heals perfectly.

As we age, our muscular strenght and resistance to damage slowly decreases, and the same way you used your voice a few years ago may not be comfortable anymore. Technical trainning, and specially exercises to maintain conditioning of the muscles becomes crucial to ensure health on the long run.

This has nothing to do with power or perceived volume, but on how you are producing sound to start with. So also do not try to make your voice sound light or hold back projection, as you will probably raise your larynx and expose the folds to more damage.

So, for a immediate solution and improvement of what you have, I recommend that you warm up, with a lot of care and concentration, aiming to feel resonance, engage support and release tensions, as well as changing the repertoire or tunning down difficult songs.

Add more dinamic variations on the easy songs to ensure that you keep things moving, this may help you relax a bit more.

Add also a warm down routine, descinding scales on tongue thril or lip bubbles, relaxing into fry always, followed by humming in fry as relaxed as possible, without trying to project the voice. Do it for like 5 minutes at max and then keep silent for at least 30 minutes.

This kind of damage may seem small at a first look, but on the long run it can slowly deteoriorate your vocal health. My advice is to simply get rid of it.

For a definitive solution, seek personal orientation from a coach and solve all the issues that are resulting in excessive stress on the folds, and always keep an exercise routine to maintain your voice at the level you need to perform. The side result will most probably be an immense improvement on the quality of your voice.