CVT Analysis of a Song

Rate this topic

Hi all,

The CVT folks posted this on their forum. I thought some people here might find it interesting. It's Cathrine Sadolin singing a song, and it shows the CVT modes she uses. This might reinforce some people's opinions that this technique is perhaps overly complicated ;-) I like it though and each to their own.

It may seem complicated but you're not supposed to be aware of all that's going on (like shown in the video, that's impossible and not useful). Dissecting vocals into modes is what you do when you fail to sing something and need to figure out why.

I think CVT is one of the most simple and concrete layouts of the voice...

thats comical:lol:

I think its cool she breaks it down. But you can also achieve this by listening and practicing with your favorite artists. Like all the great great great singers do and did.Sing from your soul and your heart, practice with your brain.

I think Catherine is intentionally changing modes very fast there. However, I always have slightly mixed feelings towards cvt. There's good stuff in there, though, just like in any other program. It's one of the best ones out there, but so far I don't have an opinion on what the single best program is.

thats comical:lol:

I think its cool she breaks it down. But you can also achieve this by listening and practicing with your favorite artists. Like all the great great great singers do and did.Sing from your soul and your heart, practice with your brain.

I'm with you on this one Dan. I honestly don't like bashing people, but this is a load of crap. All this will do is continue to add to the mystery behind learning how to sing which will trigger "paralysis by analysis"

We sing with one voice and we can do many different things with it, but to label it seems very foolish. I really wish we could start over and eliminate these labels and just train one voice.

That's actually really cool. After having bought the book and practiced some of the CVT stuff, it's cool to see it broken down like that.

I don't like to think that way while I sing or practice. I really like the "single register" or "single voice" concept better. At any point you can change the intensity or darkness.

However, I really respect Catherine and all the research she has done. The book is great for reference.

That's actually really cool. After having bought the book and practiced some of the CVT stuff, it's cool to see it broken down like that.

I don't like to think that way while I sing or practice. I really like the "single register" or "single voice" concept better. At any point you can change the intensity or darkness.

However, I really respect Catherine and all the research she has done. The book is great for reference.

You're right about that. There are many routes to Rome, but I just feel we could be a little more efficient as singers and teachers of singing.

This method IS very efficient, just think it, if you work this way, breaking down the different intensities (which in reality is learning to bridge early or latter), or the levels of brightness on the voice when you train, is obvious that IT WILL give you more tools, your voice is gonna have a lot of more freedom and when it's time to sing, you will be able to feel this freedom, simply express yourself with no worries :P

That's understandable and maybe I'm not talking about this method, but rather the emphasis we place on singing as if it is not something we can naturally get better at without some magic pill or something.

Wow! I agree with Geno. While it is cool to see such a video, I could never think about all of that while singing. Like someone else in this thread mentioned, the only time you ever really need to focus on technique is if you are having a specific problem. Otherwise, just sing to express the music.

~~Dante~~

Same here.

Bob, you may be about to have the time of your life messing with this CVT stuff. The modes are really just easy ways of describing the sounds that occur naturally with certain vowels at certain pitches and intensities (just like Daniel says - vowel, pitch and intensity). The CVT method in general adheres to much less of a sound ideal than Tamplin, SLS, etc... you would probably have a lot of fun flipping through that book.

i've been thinking about reading that one, but i just bought this one (i love reading this stuff.)

"power performance for singers, transcending the barriers" by shirlee emmons

Yeah! the reason for that is that ANY VOWEL that you use it tends to influence/change/increase the mode you are using :P

This is very true. If a phrase or part of a song is giving you trouble, it might be to the changing rules/energy levels due to quick changes of modes. If this is the case then the method is very effective in finding the problem.

CVT is however a proponent of "don't fix what's not broken" - meaning if you can sing the phrase fine then there is no need to do anything about it, carry on.

The rules of the modes give freedom, it lets you know the limitations of the voice and enables you to avoid problems or understand problems easily. It's not something you're supposed to think of for fun while singing :)

That was a cool video, I'd love to see more. There is a big difference in hearing CVT examples and trying to relate them to your own voice, and seeing a comprehensive analysis of one voice through the modes.

She's a great singer. Also that guitar solo, mmmmm! The tone was a bit solid state-y but some of those note choices were beautiful.