A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A PROFESSIONAL SINGER

Rate this topic

Danielformica

Hey guys alot of you asked me to do this so I threw it together quick over the last 2 weeks. This is not, NOT I REPEAT a video on technique its just a fun video following me to gigs and backstage. Do not take the warm ups as technique they are just some of the things I do to hit my voice from all directions so I know its warm and ready to go.

Enjoy

I watched all five installments on your channel. That's the instructional system, right there. Basics, take care of yourself, commit to the work. Being a professional singer is a job, just like any other job.

Shades of Ronnie James Dio. He said the same thing. "I get to wake up every day and do the thing I love most."

It makes the tedious, arduous travel worth it. Because you cannot contemplate not doing it.

Best put down, or slam, as my co-worker and I use to call it - "I thought you were a guitar player." That was choice. Reminds me of my friend, Lee. We traded barbs all day, just to show the love.

He would say, after a particular filling lunch on a Friday, "I feel full and totally useless." And I would say, "How do we tell the difference between now and before lunch?"

He was 17 years older than I am. I would hold the door open for him and I would say "Age before beauty." And he would say, "Pearls before swine."

Ah, the memories....

That's walking the walk, in addition to talking the talk. And thank you for giving us peek into your world. Cheers to your wife for the celebratory grin to you having to leave home for another gig. Shades of Jim Carey leaving the temple in "Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls."

The bass player reminds me a little of the bass player from U2.

Holy crap, dude, the druimmer from Korn for the Portland gig? Sweet.

Your warm up reminds me of mine. I speak some spanish, so I warm up, now and then, with a spanish b.

And the way you work through an easy scale on every vowel is just the same way that Steven Tyler does, per his own words in his memoirs, "Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?" He works the same scale, changing the vowel each time.

Well done and, again, thanks for sharing. You are an inspiration.

Anyone every tell you you resemble, a little bit, a young Paul Stanley?

Ive been with PWE since 95 I auditioned in NYC and got the gig.

Damn...you have been doing this a while. I actually started vocal training so I could "rip off" PWE bands. I did original music all through my 20's and then decided it might be cool to get paid for busting my ass(all through my 30's did cover band stuff in Dallas/Ft Worth area. Just turned 40 this year.) I basically killed myself vocally trying to get through gigs singing 30+ songs a night in original keys. It's f'ing brutal if you don't have your shit together and I had a brutal time stringing multiple nights together doing my standard stuff(not even talking about the Journey end of the spectrum.)

But....with that said....and after many years of obsessing over technique and trying out just about everything out there(I actually think I REGRESSED for a couple of years because I started over thinking stuff)

I sing MUCH MUCH MUCH closer to how I originally started(with obvious modifications) and I can now sing just about anything I want. I think a lot of the young guys here can benefit greatly from this "real world" approach and I just want to reiterate how cool this is. If I could give you 50 rep points at once I would.

Kudos again!

THANK YOU GUYS IT'S MUCH APPRECIATED. Analog you should still get involved if the singer in Dallas gets sick or Austin singer gets sick they wouldn't have to fly us out and it would save money.

Hey guys I was really uncomfortable doing this but Im gonna do a couple pieces of songs the next couple days as well while I'm in the mode

Again thank you

Huh, I just didn't assume that Analog was still in the DFW area.

Dude, we should meet. I work in Dallas, even though I live 55 miles away from the office. I've made it, early in the morning from about 58 miles away, in 45 minutes. (Translation, I have a lead foot.)

Analog - Sorry to hijack the thread but, if you don't mind my asking, what were you doing wrong during the time that you were over thinking things? Were you on the wrong track technically for a while, or were you just thinking so hard about the right technique that you were taking yourself out of the moment? You've got a great voice and great taste if I remember right, I bet we could all learn from your experience.

I'm a lazy typist so I'll be brief. What I was doing wrong was believing that there was some MAGICAL "MIX" VOICE that I needed to access. I initially could yell/belt up to High B/sometimes C on certain vowels( I have old original recordings LONG before I started studying technique.)

When I first started technique, I was told/read that I shouldn't make these sounds/that they were dangerous/yadayadayadaya. Well, that made look for this "lighter" voice that completely ficking constricted me and tore me away from the very essence of what it was that made me interesting as a singer in the first place.

I get the whys and whats of it now...but lord if someone could've told me to just keep digging away the way that I was NATURALLY digging away(with CORRECT SUPPORT IN PLACE) I could've saved myself some embarrassing youtube videos on top of possibly quicker progress. That is all hindsight on the progress, but my tone would've been solid throughout.

I sing MUCH MUCH MUCH closer to how I originally started(with obvious modifications) and I can now sing just about anything I want. I think a lot of the young guys here can benefit greatly from this "real world" approach and I just want to reiterate how cool this is. If I could give you 50 rep points at once I would.

Kudos again!

analog, what are those "obvious" modifications you talk about?

Daniel - I'm at loss for words for how brilliant these video series of yours are. It's so great for gigging singers such as myself to see the actual daily routine a good singer will go through. Very, very informative!

Hear from you later, man!

analog, what are those "obvious" modifications you talk about?

Well...if we take away the quotations on "obvious" a better stated text would be I "certainly made modification to the way I was singing."

Those modifications primarily would be:

1) Support(as defined by CVT,)

2) Primal sound w/ attachment to support mechanism(all your cry, sobs, screams, yells)

3) 3tone /5 tone/ Octave scales/slides on all vowels going up in half-tone increments. After 3 failed attempts. Rest. NO CHANGE IN SET-UP as I ascend scale. I hang onto the sensation all the way up.

Those would be 3 primary. All kinds of ancillary stuff that's been covered ad-nauseum on all the forums.

Very nice videos! Very cool to see about the actual routines you do and the lifestyle that you live as a professional singer. And the dancer girls.. ;) But seriously I loved the part where you said "I love my job" :)

not so superhero wrote:

"Very great videos, seems like you and your band mates have my kind of humor. In all the singing videos I've seen no one ever mentions the pink cowboy hat, its all seems so simple now. "

Thats what Ive been trying to tell people you can siren and mum mum, nay nay and staccato scales till your blue in the face. Add the pink hat instant rockstar status. :cool:

It's always something. I like the pink cowboy hat. It's different than the bandannas that became the rage. I have two cowboy hats. A straw cowboy that's a little too small. And a Black Stetson that's almost too big. I should probably stick with my Orange County Choppers watchcap. And my jean jacket with the Harley patches, the flag, the pin from the 9th USAF 410 Light Bomber Group that my father-in-law gave to me, (WWII Normandy, France.)

I don't know what image that presents but it suits me. Although, I do have a pink "Deutschland" shirt to celebrate my german heritage.

No wonder I can't get anywhere. I don't have a set image. :)

Yeah Jonpall they are all friends of mine. Steel panther was metalshop part of PWE. Then they went out on their own. They had to go to court and everything.

But we all played disco and 80s together for yrs and Darren, Russ and I had an original band as well.