Using more air when going up the scale?

Rate this topic

jzhang172

Quick question, should we be using more air going up the scale?

I have found that using more air makes any note louder, but it seems that going up the scale, each note is going to sound louder because it is higher, do we need to add more air as we go higher up the scale to support the note or should we be using less air?

I really wish I knew. I think, we should think of air as not just air, but vocal placement as well. From what I experience, even if you change the air flow, you have to change the placement to compliment it.

I personally as i go higher try to think less air it works for me. Try hitting a higher note without over pushing the air just tighten your stomach a little or push your stomach out see how that feels. Try to pretend you are holding back the air. TRy it see what happens if ya get stuck post it.

hope that helps

when you practise scales, the loudness should not increase as you ascend. it should stay even.

if you start light, stay light. if you start loud, remain loud.

how you start is how you should end volumewise.

and as you go higher you will use less air, but you will support more and this air will be under greater pressure.

if you need help to see how little air you need, hold a lit candle 4 inches from your mouth. if you are singing correctly that candle's flame will not move or move very little.