What do you think?

• TMV World Legacy Member

I spent most of my time singing opera since I've last posted, but I've decided I really can't let go of my love for the music of my time. And when I say my time I am still a relatively old spirit, I like to bring fresh perspective to the classics I feel I can make everyone relate to. I've recorded a rearrangement of Nature Boy, hopefully the message is cohesive. I'd really like to hear what you all think.

Http://www.soundcloud.com/chief-easy/nature-boy

Open the link, but erase the "www.http.se//" in the URL :)

(It might not be ".se" though. It's probably because I'm a viking)

I liked it a lot! Your voice sounds very nice, and you're utilising it with great dynamics.

To avoid just giving praise, because it's kind of boring, I'll say this;

1. Don't forget the shorter notes. It's easy to focus on the longer "more important" notes, and leave the shorter ones a bit off pitch. A very common problem, but sadly tends to rip the magic from an otherwise great performance... as in this case!

2. You need to adjust the distance between you and your mic as your vocal volume changes. I don't mean to be patronising; you probably know this already, but perhaps you'll be extra aware of it from now on :)

You have a great tone and vibrato to your voice, but I feel like the vowels are a little to dark for the key this song is in. This would be a lot better if you brighten the vowels more. Other than that whatever you have been doing to train your voice is working.

Keep up the good work.

"verum ipsum factum"

Thank you. I understand Enander, I have a tendency to bellow and that's a bit easier on the long notes. I also hear you about the dark timbre, I'm actually a dramatic baritone in opera so very much of that is just natural. The vowels could be clearer though I agree. A lot of my struggle has been to keep the vowel faithful and at the same time in my voice without blowing the lid off.

Thank you. I do hear what you're talking about. One difficulty I've experienced crossing over is that opera tends to be most about the pathos of the vocal effects, which can pair strangely with English. I'll keep working on this, I just rehearsed this with a jazz pianist friend of mine for half an hour or so because that arrangement has been floating in my head for a while. I just have no idea what to do with an act like that though, would anyone have any good suggestions for rep? I like all oldies, Sinatra et al, and anything with a great melody.