Purpose of Lip Trills

Rate this topic

jzhang172

I have recently hit a point in singing where I feel the need to know why completely I am doing the exercise.

For liptrills, I know I am doing this to warm up and it's to relax my vocal cords, but from time to time, I start doubting whether I am doing it right or not.

When I am doing liptrills, should my throat be vibrating at all? Where should the sound be coming from?

What should I be focusing on when I do liptrills besides relaxing.

The search feature on the forum is your friend.. take advantage of it! :P a quick search and I found this excellent explanation from Robert:

Lip trills are from a set of special phonations called, "Semi-Occluded" phonations. "Semi-Occluded" means, partially closed. So it roughly translates to "partially closed phonations". Voice teachers and vocal health professionals use semi-occluded phonations for many different benefits, namely, it balances the sub-glottal and super-glottal phonation threshold pressure (above and below) the vocal folds. When the PTP is balanced, the vocal mechanism achieves efficiency and that means, in a sense, a better voice for singing when applied to singing technique.

Robert also posted a link to his blog which fully explains the use of semi-occluded phonations within a singing context:

http://thevocaliststudio.com/vocal-warm-ups-the-semi-occluded-phonation-their-application-to-singing/

check it out!

As for doing it right, I suggest looking up examples on youtube in order to compare them to your current practice. You can perform lip rolls with or without lifting the cheeks with your hands, although generally I would say it's easier if you hold the cheeks (it doesn't effect the effectiveness of the exercise either way you chose to do it). Make sure you keep your face, tongue and such relaxed and do light bubbles (not raspberrys!) on and "UH" sound. Try to maintain connection as you ascend up through your range and breaks.. making the sound "dopey" can help you to achieve this.

The search feature on the forum is your friend.. take advantage of it! :P a quick search and I found this excellent explanation from Robert:

Robert also posted a link to his blog which fully explains the use of semi-occluded phonations within a singing context:

http://thevocaliststudio.com/vocal-warm-ups-the-semi-occluded-phonation-their-application-to-singing/

check it out!

As for doing it right, I suggest looking up examples on youtube in order to compare them to your current practice. You can perform lip rolls with or without lifting the cheeks with your hands, although generally I would say it's easier if you hold the cheeks (it doesn't effect the effectiveness of the exercise either way you chose to do it). Make sure you keep your face, tongue and such relaxed and do light bubbles (not raspberrys!) on and "UH" sound. Try to maintain connection as you ascend up through your range and breaks.. making the sound "dopey" can help you to achieve this.

Actually I must say that holding the cheeks is actually more effective because it takes less air to make the lips vibrate which means more efficient use of the vocal folds/No extra pushing of breath pressure or loose air that is not being converted into sound.

Make sure you focus more on creating the sound not blowing air at the lips. The lips will move as you create the sound with the cheeks lifted and the face relaxed.

• 7 months later...