brand spankin' noob

Rate this topic

http://soundcloud.com/besthellbunny/kdcover-ayria-disease

I am brand spanking new to attempting to sing. A friend of mine who is a professional musician is insistent on getting me to sing for him for am EBM/Industrial type of genre...I am wary because while I do enjoy to sing in the shower, I don't know how I feel about opening up to others audibly as I am not a big fan of the style of voice I have been given.

Anyway...

I did a one shot recording over Ayria's track "Disease" with a cheap $10 mic and 0 experience at recording, etc....this is a very raw sing-over style demo, and just a short clip of the track to keep the suffering short and sweet haha.

I am more or less trying to get a feel of what others hear when they listen to the sound of my voice to see if this is something I should keep practicing at, or quit while I'm ahead >_<....I know friends and family can be encouraging even when something is lackluster, so, here I am, looking for objective feedback! thanks! ^_^

http://soundcloud.com/besthellbunny/kdcover-ayria-disease

I am brand spanking new to attempting to sing. A friend of mine who is a professional musician is insistent on getting me to sing for him for am EBM/Industrial type of genre...I am wary because while I do enjoy to sing in the shower, I don't know how I feel about opening up to others audibly as I am not a big fan of the style of voice I have been given.

Anyway...

I did a one shot recording over Ayria's track "Disease" with a cheap $10 mic and 0 experience at recording, etc....this is a very raw sing-over style demo, and just a short clip of the track to keep the suffering short and sweet haha.

I am more or less trying to get a feel of what others hear when they listen to the sound of my voice to see if this is something I should keep practicing at, or quit while I'm ahead >_<....I know friends and family can be encouraging even when something is lackluster, so, here I am, looking for objective feedback! thanks! ^_^

You have a great voice and you should never give up the ability to express yourself by singing.

What kind of vocal exercises are you currently doing? How long have you been singing? I hear some corrections that can be made, but first I need to know what you are currently doing?

First and foremost, thank you for responding (and your encouragement, I appreciate that)! I have never sung with the intention of sounding good (or with the intention of having a listening audience), meaning I have absolutely no formal training and I have yet to begin vocal exercises. The most singing I have done has been in the shower, haha.

I literally just jumped right into recording myself last weekend on a whim to hear what I sound like as to gauge if there was any hope for me. I am starting pretty late with singing, I am 26...however, so long as I am not making other peoples ears bleed, it is something I would find enjoyment in pursuing and working to improve upon.

Any suggestions you have are encouraged! I just started jumping along from forum to forum and even YouTube to try to get some pointers on how to get started.

Well I would like to welcome you to the singing world LOL

I am a firm believer that if you can speak you can sing. Do you have a skype? If so maybe you can check out the skype conference call that we are going to be having on Wednesday at 7:00 pm eastern time. Also you should be using google to the max, so search for anything about singing that you can, check out library books, and watch as many videos as possible.

If you want any extra help I will be glad to offer my assistance, but first do a forum search on breath support and vocal fold closure then get back at me after you have read a few of the common issues and resolutions.

• 2 weeks later...

You definately do not sound as if you just began. I also agree with izzle, if you can speak, you can sing. I would recommend learning proper vowel pronunciation and sing through scales. This is a video that I found to be helpful:

Keep up the good work!

I literally just jumped right into recording myself last weekend on a whim to hear what I sound like as to gauge if there was any hope for me. I am starting pretty late with singing, I am 26...however, so long as I am not making other peoples ears bleed, it is something I would find enjoyment in pursuing and working to improve upon.

I make people's ears bleed but that's because I sing so loud. I'm thinking of having my voice registered as a weapon.

:lol: