Rock vocal exercises

Rate this topic

jonpall

For a while I've been modifying existing vocal exercises to make up a bunch of exercises that seem to help me sing with a more rock and roll sound. Even though regular exercises are definitely more important than this, I feel that it has to be beneficial if you want to have a rock vocal sound. Have you guys done something similar or know any exercises that you feel make it easier for you to sing intense rock?

Here's one exercise that I've been messing with recently that I think I like. An interesting aspect of this exercise is that I very gradually increase the rasp as I go up in pitch (instead of having the amount of rasp constant), which is something I've detected when listening to guys like Steven Tyler and David Coverdale. If you haven't paid attention to that, check it out the next time you listen to them. Here's the exercise:

https://www.box.com/s/13edb07f4c84c1dac3e6

If you guys wanna share some tips on rock singing, do pass it on.

Cheers,

Jon.

if i'm in an "up" mood, and feeling of good voice, sometimes i'll just sing as powerfully as i can with no regard for pitch or sounding good just sing or scream and try to sound as melodic as posssible for as long as possible on one breath..

totally without worry or without fear.

i'm big into this leaning and swelling that frisell has me doing. i just want swell off that connected head note.

I like that exercise jonpall. I think that's a pretty good idea to do. Tamplin and Lunte have some rock based pentatonic or blues scale based exercises that are pretty cool too. One approach is to take a rock or blues "lick" that you make up and basically work it through the entire range. I played with a phenominal sax player once that studied at berkley and that was one thing they made everyone do there - make up their own licks and then master them.

Another fun one I sort of made up, have done very rarely, but might start to do more often:

https://www.box.com/s/d2e691c4cc5f7a31c84e

I'm doing an octave scale with rasp on all notes. The interesting bit is that I grabbed a random book and I'm reading it as I'm doing the scales, giving me random vowels and consonants on each note, which is similar to singing actual songs.

Kudos to someone who can guess from which book I'm reading and which chapter (I just picked a random book and chapter).

Yeah, one day I might put out a rock vocal instructional entitled "Why sing it when you can scream it?".

;)