Honest feedback please!!!

• Review My Singing Membership

Looking for some honest feedback. I know I'm not American Idol quality. Just don't want to make a fool of myself. Any advice/comments would be so very appreciated. I have a youtube page but I just can't link it here (trying to figure that part out)

Anyway, if you have time you can go to youtube and type in "Can I sing? Honesty Please." It's a short bit of a John Prine song. Thank you so much.

• TMV World Legacy Member

To answer your YouTube question - anyone can sing. You need to start out with the basics, like anyone else would at the beginning stages of learning. Get a teacher or a coach if you can afford it. If not, then start with finding little singing tips and lessons on youTube - and Here on this forum. The first thing you need to do IMO is put the guitar down and concentrate on just the singing part. Playing an instrument at this stage of your learning will just distract you. There are a ton of warm ups listed on this forum, as well as general exercises.

As far as warm ups, start with this one.

www.drop-head.com

Okay....I'll give those things a try. I guess "anyone can sing" ; but, I'm just starting and found it a little easier with the guitar. I guess I was trying to use it to stay on pitch/key. I've never sang in front of anyone, never tried really. I guess what I hear is not the way other people hear my voice. Was it off pitch, terrible, embarrasing? Please be honest....I can take it. Thanks in advance.

I'd like to chime in here. Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the journey that is the discovery of your voice. Your pitch wasn't terrible at all. I think it's a good start, and once you start getting the essentials of technique in place (critically, 'support') your pitch ought to become stable.

Not embarrassing at all. Here's my objective take on it: right now you're singing with your speaking voice. You'll be amazed at what your voice can do when you guide it correctly, how it will grow into a monster! But as Keith said, you need that guidance.

Don't be afraid of putting the guitar down and singing solo. Ultimately you must do this to master your voice. Expect to make some horrid noises at first while you get it all working (your voice), and for people overhearing you to make potentially disparaging comments. It's all par for the course. Just keep at it with whatever program your working with, and it will come.

I disagree. If he is going to learn to sing, he needs to sing without the burden of playing another instrument at the same time. In the video, he is sitting, with bad posture. It's great that he can play the guitar, but at the same time, singing along with a cd would be more beneficial since all of his concentration will be on singing, instead of splitting between guitar and singing. Standing up straight with good posture, learning breathing and support, and concentrating on what he is doing 100% is going to get him to where he wants to be faster. IMO. Of course, he could use the guitar for a pitch reference, but that would be my only suggestion that involves a guitar - at least until he learns the basics.

www.drop-head.com

I totally agree with Keith. I used to be pro guitar player (back in the day - 1980's) my youth in a Heavy Metal band. I never could sing and play guitar simultaneously. I'm not to bad at either on their own, but when I do both together they distract from each other and neither is as good as I want it to be, or even as good as it can be.

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

I would say that you are on the right track with the guitar. Use a piano (or your guitar) and go through some scales. You were hitting most notes but it seemed as if when you first hit the note, it would be somewhat off but then as you sang the note longer, you would correct yourself. I definitely recommend just sitting down and plucking out single notes on your guitar and singing along and eventually, you will train your ear and voice to immediately hit the note. Keep up the good work!

www.singyourstuff.com

I just wanted to say thanks for everyone taking time to comment. I will take this advice and continue to work. I understand about the guitar, I guess I just think it helps guide me ( at least somewhat). Not to beat a dead horse, but, if you were at , say an open jam, and you heard what I was doing, is it one of those things that make you cringe inside and think this guy needs to forget trying to sing? I know that I will improve , at least some, with time and work but I guess I'm just trying to gage where I am today....if that makes sense. I know I've been to jams, open mic nights etc and I've heard other people sing and I think "someone should tell them that was the wrong key, off pitch etc"....again just looking for honest comments. Thanks again, this is a really good forum.

Hi Bluesguy (that name confuses me a bit :D)

I'll give this a shot.

I haven't posted much this week as I've been pretty sick an not in the mood. So I will give it to you straight...shooting right from the hip. If I heard you sing at an open jam, no, I wouldn't cringe. But that's me. I would be able to hear what you may be doing wrong as well as possible potential; while others may not and they might not like what they hear. What I hear is not bad, just untrained. So that also means you're not working with any natural ability either. That's not an insult as few of us have natural ability which means just being able to "do it" right out of the gate.

There were a few pitch issues...not bad, but a little. Right at the beginning the word Abby (you sing the line twice). On the word Abby you go of pitch which may be only a matter of breath control. Sort of like you're giving up on the note. I think somewhere around 16 seconds you start to waver there also pitch wise. Again, I think most of this is only a matter of not giving yourself to the song. You don't sound "bad" but at the same time your not giving me any interest in hearing your next song. You're not singing your just reciting words.

You have the tone and you have the ability to be on pitch (those few spots were no big deal...we all do it) you just aren't giving the emotion or the phrasing or the breath control to make the notes more solid and full. Again, I think the off pitch spots aren't because your pitch is bad, I think it's a lack of technique, breath support and over all knowledge/proper practice.

Make the songs pleasing, fun (or sad) and with feeling. Tell a story. Don't be so monotone. Rhythm. It's music after all! Sing it like you mean it.

Good luck, and welcome :)

Ok, Ill be honest. Does not sound good, so if your question is about using this material on the net, it does not render a good impression.

Can you learn, yes of course. Will you be good? Up to you.

Now should you learn? Well Its you life, we cant decide for you. I can only answer for myself, I do study and Ill never stop.