Dr.Evil's howls

• TMV World Legacy Member

Well, it's time to let you hear the evil genius of the forum :cool: :lol: .

This record of russian pop song https://www.box.com/s/6ee66be32dc20ea3b0b7 (hope the link will work) was made by me for fun, actually just to tease one of my friends, who wanted to record it, but couldn't because he was unable to reach it's high notes. I didn't know it, just found it over the web, listened few times, opened the lyrics (which i didn't know, as you may hear). The low notes sang by me sound weak and offkey but the higher notes are much better(the higher - the better). So, enjoy, comment, criticize, throw rotten tomatos :lol: ...

Gonna conquer the world ]:-|

• Administrator

So this is our new member who criticizes others......

Hmmmm.......... ?

I think you should take some lessons from your friend, Igor (Jugulator) who has been Spotlighted here......

Just MY HUMBLE OPINION !!!

Oh, and my Bro, Robert (Lunte) is always available for Skype lessons !

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

• Administrator

Same, Tommy.

But being here for nearly four years now it just doesn't seem that unusual to me... Seen them "come and go"....

BTW - GREAT JOB on your recent cruise !!! :cool:

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

Thanks Adolph. I just made it as far as getting on Stage goes. That was Saturday night and by Sunday Evening I was very sick and still am.

As far as this thread, well I tried to be as polite as possible. I try never to insult anyone here on the forum. In keeping with the spirit of how The good DR's post/sample was born, I didn't "critique."

But this quote from Dr Evil sure made it tempting :D

So, enjoy, comment, criticize, throw rotten tomatos :lol: ...

At least the title of the thread was right ;)

I'm glad that some people finaly listened to my record :) , and i never said that i'm singing good. As i said in the introduction topic - i am a beginner, but, you know, one doesn't have to be a cow to judge the taste of it's milk :lol: , and i'm a 'beginner cow :lol: ' from this point of view. Don't fear that i'm to sensitive to critics, because everyone say that to me, and you didn't hear me 6 month ago and i began working with a tutor only 4 month ago. Igor is great without a dobt, considering his experiance and age and, of cource, his natural talant.

PS: i aint going anywhere, and: YOU WILL HEAR ME SING GREAT.

Same, Tommy.

But being here for nearly four years now it just doesn't seem that unusual to me... Seen them "come and go"....

BTW - GREAT JOB on your recent cruise !!! :cool:

Well I don't mean to add to this, but....

"verum ipsum factum"

I'm glad that some people finaly listened to my record :) , and i never said that i'm singing good. As i said in the introduction topic - i am a beginner, but, you know, one doesn't have to be a cow to judge the taste of it's milk :lol: , and i'm a 'beginner cow :lol: ' from this point of view. Don't fear that i'm to sensitive to critics, because everyone say that to me, and you didn't hear me 6 month ago and i began working with a tutor only 4 month ago. Igor is great without a dobt, considering his experiance and age and, of cource, his natural talant.

PS: i aint going anywhere, and: YOU WILL HEAR ME SING GREAT.

You have to understand how people look at you from the web view. It's very hard to determine if someone is cocky or not by just reading text, but the way you come across on here sets you up to be a target for other people.

Just try to give more constructive replies and stay humble.

"verum ipsum factum"

I've read some of your posts, and it's good to have people like you here.

You speak your mind without sugar-coating it, and you aren't afraid to call the cattle black even if you may be a pot of its blackest sort :D Some (!) people (me included) needs to get some tough love!

You remind me of my father. He is by no means a master of vocals, but he knows good vocals when he hears it.

He finds my singing atrocious (he compares me to dickinson, dio and other top tier rock vocalists), but if the day comes when he says I'm good; I know I'm pretty good! :)

Speak your mind, but be prepared to receive some harsh words as well!

but, you know, one doesn't have to be a cow to judge the taste of it's milk

Actually a cow wouldn't know since cows don't drink milk. They only produce it. They drink water! :D

I understand your point and it makes some sense. But it sometimes depends on the situation. I like when people give data to back up their critique otherwise it is only a subjective opinion.

You can say you don't like my left hook or my footwork or even how I fight at all. But until you can come in the ring and knock me out then shut up!! :D

PS: i aint going anywhere, and: YOU WILL HEAR ME SING GREAT

Good attitude and I can't wait to hear you sing great. That's what this forum is about. Getting that done requires us all helping each other and no one thinking they are better than another.

In another thread about vowel modification you said you never use it or need it, saying "you're doing quite fine without it." To me that sounds a little like an unwillingness to learn or that you know better. What does your teacher say about it? However I am willing to admit that maybe a language barrier caused a misunderstanding of your post :) But the point is to be open to suggestion.

Stick around, learn and yes...someday sing great. We are all trying. :)

No, Tom, you understood me well, there is not much of a language barrier, because i once knew english quite well, it's just a matter of losing skills without practice, but i will restore mi skills realy fast here. I realy don't use vowel modification and my teacher says nothing about it, but that's may be because i'm just a beginner and he doesn't lead me to high notes yet (i do it without him :lol: ), where it should be usefull, as i read, but i sing a lot without him, sometimes i scare him with some heavy metal song, which he doesn't like. I guess he has more of classical approach to singing, though he is not teaching me classical singing, just pop/jazz style, though i want rock, bit there are no one there to teach me rock-style singing :( . As you could hear in my record (if you've made it to the very end, where the high notes are) there is no vowel modification there at all. My teacher says that i just have naturaly much more developed upper register than lower(which is quite unusual because it's usual that person has his chest voice developed much better, especially untrained person), and i sound much better when i sing in upper register, i have much more controll there, more power.

Hey Doc,

Well, here is my opinion. And it is just that, an opinion so it may not mean much :) But this is what I hear. Now, let me preface this by saying (per my own words in my last post) it is only an opinion because I don't have the correct data to support it. But, yes you are hitting the high notes pretty full. I can't get that high myself. But in my opinion you are also hitting the low notes. The tone is there on both high and low so you are "hitting" them both.

However!! "Hitting" notes is one thing. Hitting them on pitch is quite another. I've heard people touch a hot stove and scream out a high note. That doesn't mean they can "sing it."

I'm just sayin' :D

Hey Doc,

Well, here is my opinion. And it is just that, an opinion so it may not mean much :) But this is what I hear. Now, let me preface this by saying (per my own words in my last post) it is only an opinion because I don't have the correct data to support it. But, yes you are hitting the high notes pretty full. I can't get that high myself. But in my opinion you are also hitting the low notes. The tone is there on both high and low so you are "hitting" them both.

However!! "Hitting" notes is one thing. Hitting them on pitch is quite another. I've heard people touch a hot stove and scream out a high note. That doesn't mean they can "sing it."

I'm just sayin' :D

Great Post Tommy :lol:

"verum ipsum factum"

:) I understand you wery well and of course you'r right, and yes, in this record the highest note was a bit screamy, but that's because i wasn't quite well that day and the moment i began that note i felt, that it's going to fail, so i added some pressure and lost my position. And those notes in chorus are in pitch, in te verses a lot are off, because i realy don't have much contoll on low noes yet, and those are realy low for me i must say. The lowest i can get is H2, but it's realy silent and much airy, the normal sound starts about F3, some power appears at G3, G4, i guess, is the bridge note, G5 the highest i can get without screaming, A5 is a lot screamy and H5 is a pig's scream :lol: .

Thanks izzle :)

Actually I am trying to be a bit constructive. If he is willing to learn then I think he needs to open his eyes (or ears) and since he says he can take it then maybe the best way is to throw it right at him. I'm not looking to insult only to be honest in what I hear. Others may have a different opinion :)

My ipinion is that being honest is the best thing you can do. There is an expression in my country, which says: 'bitter thuth is better than sweet lies'.

:) I understand you wery well and of course you'r right, and yes, in this record the highest note was a bit screamy, but that's because i wasn't quite well that day and the moment i began that note i felt, that it's going to fail, so i added some pressure and lost my position. And those notes in chorus are in pitch, in te verses a lot are off, because i realy don't have much contoll on low noes yet, and those are realy low for me i must say. The lowest i can get is H2, but it's realy silent and much airy, the normal sound starts about F3, some power appears at G3, G4, i guess, is the bridge note, G5 the highest i can get without screaming, A5 is a lot screamy and H5 is a pig's scream :lol: .

Once again, I'm not looking to hammer you. But If you keep telling someone they are on the right path when they are not, then they end up where they don't want to go. :) better to set them straight right away especially when they think they are on the right path.

I used to say to my students (Nothing to do with singing) "be careful how you practice, you may end up where you're headed." (figure that one out ;))

But listen Doc. I don't hear anything in that song that is on pitch. Not the chorus, not the high notes (which at first you said were good and now say are screamy) and not the low notes or anything in between. Pitch exercises will help. One step at a time. Don't put the cart before the horse. You, as well as many others here speak in terms of G3, C4, G5 and notes like that. I have no clue about that stuff and don't pay attention to it. I think it may be distracting for some and they start focusing too much on how high they can go and forget about actually SINGING. Who cares what notes I can hit. I care more if someone feels my music.

I'm not saying I'm the best singer but I don't necessarily try to be. What I do try is to be better than myself. Or the me from the day before. The rest will hopefully fall into place. I'm not a high singer so I don't try to be. I try to get emotion and feel. So I don't focus on "notes." To me that is an advanced thing....high notes. I started out walking. Eventually I was walking pretty fast. Right now I think I am jogging or at times even a slow run. High notes are marathons; I ain't there yet.

I think at this point you need to make sure you can get one foot in front of the other consistently before you even think about running. :) Just a thought.

Actualy i just said, that higer notes are better than lower, not that they are great. And of course i understand what you mean, but it's just a lot of times i have to choose between exercises and singing one of my favourite song the way i can :D , and i like singing so much, that i often choose the second option, though i know it's wrong :( . By the way, i just downloaded the Child In Time backing trach from youtube :) , gonna start practice and defenently record it. Not hoping to win the competition, sometimes it's just fun to take part.

...and i like singing so much, that i often choose the second option, though i know it's wrong

I don't say that is wrong. I do that myself and believe that singing is the best practice. "Practice as you'll perform otherwise you may end up performing how you practice!"

But often that singing is with a purpose and not just for the sake of singing. If it's a certain note or breath/support practice, legato or staccato or whatever, I practice it in song quite often.

By the way, i just downloaded the Child In Time backing trach from youtube :) , gonna start practice and defenently record it. Not hoping to win the competition, sometimes it's just fun to take part.

uh oh!! :o

Lol...just kidding. Looking forward to it. :)

Dr.

I think that you can contribute with the comunity, and your opinion as a listener is very valuable to me, just keep in mind that like/dont like is not the same as knowing why you dont like. So, since you clearly do not have knowledge on singing itself, its my advice that you refrain from trying to find reasons for your opinions.

Honest feedback is something valuable, guessing about what others should do with their voices is only destructive.

But yes, I agree with you that non singers opinions are valuable.

Normally, I am the cheerleader and always find something positive to say. If I can't find something to say, I usually won't post. All one hears is chirping crickets.

But I have to agree with others. Yes, you did make sounds high and low and you had some flow, as if you were singing but none of it was on pitch. I don't care how the original singer sounded. What is important is the sound of your voice.

So, if you do "Child in Time," I don't expect you to sound like Ian Gillan in his 20's. But I, like any others here, will expect to hear it on pitch. And that's where the real work for you will be. And you will have to learn to modify vowel sounds, whether you happen to like it or not. You will not be able to sing american songs as if you were pronouncing something cyrillic (I learned a little russian from a friend a long time ago.) For one thing, your vowels are way too narrow and you are going to have to open your mouth and lips just a little.

The reason you are off pitch is because you are not hearing the pitch of the music and you are not identifying mentally or physical what the pitch is. Your tutor should be coaxing you up or down until he or she hears right so that you can feel what that is supposed to feel like. But you are not tone-deaf because you can, in fact, hear the difference between two notes (an interval.)

Everyone has been giving you some "tough love," which they will give, anyway. But also in response to your comments of others, where it seems that you find fault that they do not sound like the original singer.

In here, and with these teachers, you can learn techniques used by famous singers that you admire but that does not make you sound like them. It just means that you can use techniques similar to them.

Which means you need to adjust your need to compare. Which means changing your mind. And that is the hardest thing to do. Let's say that you buy several different singing instruction systems. And that your favorite singer is David Coverdale. It won't matter how much work and try to emulate exactly, will not sound like him, except through the accident of genetics.

Back to vowel mods. You will have to use them because the notes live in them. Different vowels vary the height and shape of the tongue and that will always have an affect. It's a physics thing and you cannot argue against physics.

But you are in the right place and everyone here is expecting you to do well.

We just think you can get along farther and better if you drop the "I must be abrasive for the sake of being abrasive and raising the level of acrimony in a forum" thing. Paraphrased from a lyric by John Mellencamp, drop the macho stuff and learn to sing.

The screams? There were two of them and they do not make the song. The vocal line, mainly in the 4th octave, that is the meat of the song. Worry about that, first.

Peace, love, and understanding.

Ron said it all, all I can add is that although it wasn't what I expected ... it made me SMILE! :)

It did however make me think of Eurovision :(

An explanation of Eurovision for my American friends

Eurovision is a european(ish) musical circus/nightmare which happens every year and is watched by 100's millions of people on TV all the way from Ireland to Isreal. When it's on my wife and I make an evening of it and watch it from start to finish, armed with drinks and nibbles, and do our own private voting on the winner. The only year I got it right was 2006, when Lordi won:

If you want to get a feel for the sheer awfulness we put up with these compilations alone should make you glad you live on the west side of the Atlantic:

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

Dr Evil, actually the process of recording your own singing and being honest with yourself when you listen back to it is a fantastic tool for improvement. If you think it doesn't sound good, dont abandon the process - try again and try to figure out what to fix.

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

What George said. You, doc, already have the idea that you need improvement. Which you have said all along.

It was just the attitude that you presented that set people off. And before you say something like "you've got to be big enough to take some heat," that goes both ways. Treat people as you expect to be treated. And then, don't be surprised when that exact thing happens.