cool way to think of support

Rate this topic

VideoHere

i was just thinking about how you might want to explain support and i came up with this analogy.

let's say you're standing with a heavy object in your hand, arms at your sides. and you have to put it down on the floor and you have a wooden floor that dents easily. well, if you drop the weight it will probably damage the floor, but if you let the weight down easy and get closer to the floor without dropping it you won't damage the floor.

you held back the weight by actively and intentionally resisting the drop.

kind of close....lol!!!! anybody wanna tweak it a bit?....lol!!!!

Yeah. Breath support is a gas pedal. With your abs being the foot on the pedal, you control how much gas is being used.

Another analogy might be that the inhalation is the stretching of a rubber band and you are slowing down or allowing to speed up the contraction of the rubber band, depending on your needs.

Well, I don't know exactly how to explain support but I do know this about explaining it. Trying to explain support is like a spider web. The more you try to untangle/explain it the more tangled (and complicated) it becomes. ;)

Yeah. Breath support is a gas pedal. With your abs being the foot on the pedal, you control how much gas is being used.

Another analogy might be that the inhalation is the stretching of a rubber band and you are slowing down or allowing to speed up the contraction of the rubber band, depending on your needs.

Great analogy!

Well, Felipe, the second analogy I quoted is what, according to an interview with him, Bruce Dickinson uses in controlling the escape of air. It seems to work for him. I don't use that imagery.

My image is the gas pedal. And I should say subtle use of the gas pedal. No gross movements but agile and fluid.

Maybe I'm just lazy but the idea of weightlifting or weight-lowering sounded to much like strain. Then there's the initial strain of taking on the load that appeared in your hands that needed to be lowered. When did that happen and how did the body respond to the sudden load?

And I am probably poisoned too much to use the weight lifting or lowering analogy because I used to lift heavy weights (I would butterfly 110 lb free weights.) And the other day, I had to get a roll of #2 AWG THHN wire (about 300 feet left on what was a 500 foot roll) into the bed of a pick-up truck, by myself. That was a strain. I certainly don't want to strain when I am singing. It's easier to step on the gas a smidge.

the weight to lower to the floor represented the breath pressure. you can be strong enough in the lower core to create strong breath tension, and the strength to keep youself from blasting it against the folds.

if you were to drop the weight, you end up pushing and straining the tone.

hey, i thought it was good....lol!!!!

the weight to lower to the floor represented the breath pressure. you can be strong enough in the lower core to create strong breath tension, and the strength to keep youself from blasting it against the folds.

if you were to drop the weight, you end up pushing and straining the tone.

hey, i thought it was good....lol!!!!

If it works for you, more power to you. I know an author who imagines notes actually travelling around the braincase to arrive at some hitherto unknown location. But if it gets your note up off the folds, so be it.

Some of the danger of retired singers becoming teachers is that they may not have thought much about what they did as a singer but later, as a teacher, they have to come up with a mental model. And one that may have worked for them, but not always for others.

So, if you like lowering a medicine ball and it helps you sing "Ive Been Waiting (for a girl like you)," then rockonwhichyabadself.

We each find what works for us, which may create a semantic nightmare but then, again, que sera, sera, c'est la Vie, zuer gemuetlichkeit (sorry, my computer does not have a german font.)