No Excuses - AIC

• TMV World Legacy Member

Haven't recorded anything in a while since moving house.

I've just got my old nylon string acoustic with me for now.

I'm struggling with the chorus here.

The word 'cold' sound all wonky, but I can't seem to correct it.

In fact all the the ooos sound a bit odd.

Any advice and constructive criticism is very welcome.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10813900/No%20Excuses.m4a

If you never mentioned the word "cold" I wouldn't have even thought about it. I don't really here a problem with "cold" but I here it on "excuses." Actually on the second chorus the whole sentence from "excuses" on to "that I know" went off.

Other that those minor points the song was good imo. Were the vocals doubled up somehow? it almost sounded like you were singing to the CD. :)

Agreed, I struggled with the chorus a lot.

The vocal is a two part harmony, both recorded separately.

I sang both parts and played all the instruments, except drums which was a MIDI file I picked up.

Thanks for listening.

I didn't hear any problems.

Cool recording. Well done.

Thanks Ron.

Do you have any tips for keeping good timing, especially when doubling parts?

The click track bleeds from my headphones and tapping on my knee can be heard in the recording, especially after compression.

NOt sure I could help you, Sound. I don't use a click track. However, when I sing against playback, I can't properly adjust the latency in Audacity. So, I take one headphone off and and turn the balance to the one can remaining on.

As for doubled parts or second tracks, like when I put a guitar solo in over a previous track, I end up having to align the tracks. I've gotten better with that over time. But I mix with my ear, which may be a good thing or a bad thing.