Most important consonants

Rate this topic

jonpall

Many of us are doing vocal exercises with practise words like "mum" and "gug". These are words that are single syllables and begin with a consonant. They also often end with a consonant, too. But quite often you just don't have time to do all your exercises with all possible combinations of consonants and vowels.

Seeing how many people consider the vowels Ah, Eh, Oh, I (or ee) and O (or oo) to be the most important vowels, which consonants are the most important and which combinations of vowels and consonants do you think are most important to train?

a quick summary for consonants:

g's = improve fold closure (goog, gug)

m's = building power, helps strenghthen mix (may, mee)

n's = same as above, plus pharyngeal benefit (nay nee, nuh)

w's = helps reduce grabbing and clutching, prevents muscling (whoop, woo, wee)

z's = helps with balance, great for massaging the folds

anyone want to add?

What about "h" ? I sometimes work on softening h's so as not to get such a "huh" sound at the beginning of phrases. I don't think this applies to strengthening of any kind as in Bob's example. But it's a consonant none the less.

owen wrote:

"glottal attack - removes the need to worry about which hard consonant to pick . though i rarely use it in training. just perhaps as a tool to find more vocal fold closure. it's not very healthy so i stay away from it"

We all have a different ways to train and what we think is healthy. I love training mms for finding a buzzy feeling as well.

But I train every vowel with a Glottal Attack(not a violent one) but a confident EH EE AH OH OO. And since i had started this years ago my voice got stronger and i didnt lose it as much from gigging.:D

Depends on the voice.

N and G are very nice for certain tasks. P is also nice on certain circunstances.

But these are specific for vowel trainning.

If there is a problem with one of the consonants, in which when singing a certain phonation disrupts the placement and induces tension, it should be worked.