A more concentrated effort...Please take a look and comment.

• Review My Singing Membership

All,

This is my third submission. I have tried to consider all previous comments and adjust accordingly. I was unable to find a backing track that I could get to work but I did make some other adjustments and have tried to give this my best shot (at least the best I have now). I don't see myself as a rock and roll star- I'm more comfortable doing folkstyle/singer/songwriter stuff. I did this song in the key of C. I think that key suits me the best-please let me know what you think about that. I am almost 50 years old and have never tried to sing in my life. I have been doing vocal exercises that have been suggested and while I dont think this is great I do think I'm hearing some improvement in what I'm doing. Again, all honest comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks

• TMV World Legacy Member

There were a few slightly pitchy places, but overall it was good. You doing warmups and scales and stuff, or are you just going straight to songs?

www.drop-head.com

I've just been doing warmups and exercises,but come to think of it, I think I went straight into this particular version. I've noticed you have commented on both of my previous attempts. Do you hear any improvement? If you heard this at a house party or open Mic, would it be passable/ok? AS you probably picked up on I am so new to this that I'm really insecure about the way I sound. Thanks for your time.

I think that it does sound better than the others. You sound just like a person just starting out singing. Once you get some of the basics down, you will be surprised what your voice can do. Your best bet is to either buy a training program, or to hire a coach. if you try and learn everything on your own, the time needed to do so is multiplied exponentially. Keep it up!

www.drop-head.com

How about it guys....any more comments. This is important to me. Again, I'm being realistic about my goals and what I can and can't do. Thanks in advance.

There is no such thing as "can't do" when it comes to singing. There is only what you "can do" and what you train to do.

www.drop-head.com

I listened to your earlier post and this newer one back to back, and for sure, you are sounding more confident. Good work.

I think it would serve you well to sing these songs without also playing the guitar at the same time, at this stage. Really give the singing priority, so you can concentrate all your efforts into it. I understand that might be tricky, without a backup track.... see what you can find in that department.

I agree with Keith, you sound like you're starting out, putting your first foot forward in the journey of your voice. Now, I don't mean that in any kind of negative sense at all. You ask if this would sound "ok" at a house party/open mic session? I would say, of course! these are usually relaxed environments.

As Keith said, you can do it all on your own, and you will get 'there' eventually, but it will take a LOT longer, and you may chase your tail around trying to figure things out on your own. Definitely a good plan to get a program or a vocal coach for sure.

I did this song in the key of C. I think that key suits me the best-please let me know what you think about that

I think that's fine, but understand that as you grow your voice and develop your technique, you will be presented with a far larger range of choices, and that what was comfortable for your voice previously, will shift significantly. Be excited by this!

I am almost 50 years old and have never tried to sing in my life

Don't stress. Age is largely irrelevant. Think of it like weightlifting, sure, a 20 yr old will get stronger quicker, but you can too, with a little more time. Just takes time.

I'm being realistic about my goals and what I can and can't do.

I'm with Keith. There is no "can't do"! I was terrible when I started out. No natural flair for singing at all. But I've chopped away at it. It's all about how much you're willing to invest yourself into it. You can sing anything if you apply yourself and train for it.

A final note. A choir director once said to me: "Better to sing loudly and bad, than quietly and well" What he meant was, if you're insecure, then don't be afraid to sound bad, just let it loose no matter how bad you might sound (I'm not saying, blow your voice to bits, just, put the insecurity aside, and go for it). That's better than being insecure and quiet. Expect to make some awful sounds, embrace the notion. Keep it up man, I look forward to following your progression

I thought this attempt was a definite improvement over the other two and I would agree with the comments above.

It will take a little time and practice to make the singing a bit more appealing. The best thing I can suggest is to sing a lot of songs. Right now, as the others have said, you are at the beginning stages and sound as such. So while the singing isn't bad, it isn't... well, I don't want to say it isn't "good" because that's not what I mean. Let's just say it isn't interesting enough. Sing, sing, sing, and sing some more and work on the little things. Melody, pitch, lows and highs. The big stuff will come in time if you get the small stuff on automatic. Then start playing with the feeling and emotion of the song. Sing soft, sing hard, sing high, sing low., sing happy, sing sad. be melodic.

The thousand mile journey begins with the first step. You've taken your first steps.

But this song was better. Good job :)

Christinina Scabbia told me she never had a coach, only some advise : sing with your heart out. Sing every word like you wrote the song and have deep emotional roots in it. She is the singer of Lacuna Coil. Check her stuff out, it's brilliant!

www.drop-head.com