Sign in to follow this  
Vocalisha

Good Advice about a Wireless Mic?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm new here on the Modern Vocalist Forum, and I have a question. I want to buy a wireless mic, but it's hard to find a good one. It has to be a dynamic mic, because I'm gonna use it in a rockband. I don't want it to be a Shure SM58 or Beta58, because they don't sound good with my voice.

So, can you please give me some good advice?

Thanks!

Vocalisha,

If your looking for a WIRELESS mic/system, check this out >>> http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-SAM-SW7AVSHX-N1

In addition to the included microphone, the Samson AirLine system also allows you to use ANY dynamic mic of your choice.

If you search through the "Microphone" section of the forum you will see Robert Lunte's review of this system (which he uses in his studio), and of course my comments.....

I've had my Samson system for quite awhile now and have encountered ZERO problems. I highly recommend it !

Incidentally, here are my alternatives to the Shure SM58 and the Shure Beta58 :

Rode M1

E/V ND767a

E/V PL80

and my most recent purchase :

Sennheiser e945

Keep in mind that everyone's voice is different, so what may suit my voice may not suit yours....

Check out various mics if possible. Yes, I know it's difficult in some places due to health concerns.

Regards,

Adolph

Hi Adolph!

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to check it out. It seems like the dream of every singer to be able to use your favorite mic wireless.

Great!

Regards,

Vocalisha

The best of the Line 6 sound good. As do the Sennheisers. A Shure with an SM86 capsule might be good - seems that those who have heard them like them a lot better than Shure's other capsules (I've not heard one).

What ever you get, turn down the transmitter gain so it doesn't clip when you belt it out.

You're most welcome, Vocalisha.

Other companies (I can't recall which ones at the moment ?), make similar systems as well, although I still can't understand why the transmitter is designed more like one of those bulky batteries on a cordless drill ??? :rolleyes: (They are also more expensive). I mentioned this design in a previous post, and to this day I have to believe that there are "balancing issues".... The Samson transmitter, as you may have noticed is streamlined and very lightweight.

I believe you would be very satisfied with the Samson system particularly after you decide on the mic(s) that suit your voice.

If and when you make your purchases, I'd be interested in your what you think of the "system". Feel free to drop me a line anytime....

BTW ---- Have you joined The Modern Vocalist World's (Main) Social Network site ??? It's "loaded" with tons of information >>> Product Reviews, Articles, Interviews, and much more !!!

Warmest Regards,

Adolph

I forgot to mention: If going wireless will really add to your show, OK. If not, don't - you have to spend real money to approach the quality of the same capsule on a wired mic.

If you are planning on recording with a wireless, then you are going to need some other toys also. You are going to need one hell of a nice gate- or the mic will pick up the sound of you breathing. Also, a graph and a compressor. Ultimately, the pre amp in whatever mixing console is going to control the sound of your voice. Example, I have an old 80's Yamaha mixing board. My voice sounds like garbage no matter what mic I use. I also have a Mackie 34X8. My voice sounds great no matter what mic I use. My point is, that maybe it's a mic preamp that is causing your voice to not sound right with the sure mics.

I learn something new every day. Thanks, Keith.

Your kinda cute, are you available for a date? 

My name is Ron and want to meet you.

If you are planning on recording with a wireless, then you are going to need some other toys also. You are going to need one hell of a nice gate- or the mic will pick up the sound of you breathing. Also, a graph and a compressor.

A wireless won't pick up a singer's breathing any more than a wired mic.

Gates are seldom effective on vocals, live or in the studio (for different reasons).

I've used wireless Shure Beta58 extensively for live shows, always sounded well with my voice (but I've also had nice technicians handling the sound). Tried some other live mics, wired ones though, like the Shure SM58 and the EV ND767a. I don't like the sound of the EV at all, and I know a lot of people praise that microphone like crazy. But yeah, the voice is such a individual instrument.

I just ordered one wired Beta58 for band practice (don't own the wireless system, it was the company I worked for, or the hotels I worked at, that owned them). Would sure like to have a wireless system myself, but it's about 3 times the money. If I start to have a lot of gigs with my band I'll think about investing in a wireless system. I'd go for the Shure Beta 58, since that's what I've been using and had good results with it.

Thanks for all your help! I found out that you can also buy a wireless system and put on another capsule. So I'm going to try the Heil RC-22 in a few days, to hear if it suits my voice. How do you think about these capsules and especially the Heil? In Holland, where I live, the Heil mics aren't very well known and there are only a few dealers here who sell them. I'm very curious about your opinion!

I'm certainly not going to use the mic in the studio, because I have a really good condenser mic for recordings. I will only use the wireless mic on stage in a band setting. And for the acoustic gigs I always use my Neumann KMS 105, which works really great with my voice.

Thanks again for your replies!

Like the KMS105, the PR22 sounds better than most, and picks up more unwanted crap than most. I wanted to love it, but found it to be of little use.

Hello, Vocalisha!

Wellcome! I'm new here too, but I'll try to add something to the conversation...

I think the more affordable and smarter option is, in fact, the Samson AirLine 77, suggested by Adolph Namlik.

But... If you're looking for something high end (read: expensive), take a look at the Sennheiser SKM-2000 (http://www.sennheiser.com.au/au/home_en.nsf/root/professional_2000-series_021735). Furthermore, you can change its capsules (like you want). For the capsule, I suggest MMD 935 (used by P!nk).

This mic is the top of the moment. It is used by most of the best pop artists, such as: P!nk, Rihanna, Beyoncé, etc. Not to mention that is used on the best "singer shows", like: "The Voice UK", "The Voice US", "American Idol", "X-Factor"...

Thanks for all your help! I found out that you can also buy a wireless system and put on another capsule. So I'm going to try the Heil RC-22 in a few days, to hear if it suits my voice. How do you think about these capsules and especially the Heil? In Holland, where I live, the Heil mics aren't very well known and there are only a few dealers here who sell them. I'm very curious about your opinion!

I'm certainly not going to use the mic in the studio, because I have a really good condenser mic for recordings. I will only use the wireless mic on stage in a band setting. And for the acoustic gigs I always use my Neumann KMS 105, which works really great with my voice.

Thanks again for your replies!

I've been using the Heil capsule with a Line 6 wireless system for over a year now and it has worked flawlessly. The Heil capsule sounds amazing. I've received numerous compliments from the guys running house sound.

Hello, Vocalisha!

Wellcome! I'm new here too, but I'll try to add something to the conversation...

I think the more affordable and smarter option is, in fact, the Samson AirLine 77, suggested by Adolph Namlik.

But... If you're looking for something high end (read: expensive), take a look at the Sennheiser SKM-2000 (http://www.sennheiser.com.au/au/home_en.nsf/root/professional_2000-series_021735). Furthermore, you can change its capsules (like you want). For the capsule, I suggest MMD 935 (used by P!nk).

This mic is the top of the moment. It is used by most of the best pop artists, such as: P!nk, Rihanna, Beyoncé, etc. Not to mention that is used on the best "singer shows", like: "The Voice UK", "The Voice US", "American Idol", "X-Factor"...

Thanks! I'm considering a Sennheiser system, but the SKM2000 serie is too expensive for me at the moment. I was looking at the EW 500 serie. What do you think about this system? And what is the significant difference between EW500 and for instance an EW 135 G3?

Could it be that the more expensive systems are only used in big productions on a huge stage with a lot of signals going on from the many wireless mics and in-ear systems at the same time? I mean, the quality of the mic and the system can be the same, but the expensive ones can handle a lot of signals.

When I'm on stage there will only be two wireless mics at the sime time...

Hi everyone!

In my search for a wireless microphone, I also heard about the digital wireless systems. Who can tell me something about those systems and is it much better (or worse) than a normal system? And what is the difference?

Vocalisha

The Shure ULX-D seems promising, though I've not used it on a show. The automatic transmitter gain setting is a great feature, as few folks set them rightly on other wireless units. I'd go with the SM86 capsule on a Shure.

I've used wireless Shure Beta58 extensively for live shows, always sounded well with my voice (but I've also had nice technicians handling the sound). Tried some other live mics, wired ones though, like the Shure SM58 and the EV ND767a. I don't like the sound of the EV at all, and I know a lot of people praise that microphone like crazy. But yeah, the voice is such a individual instrument.

I just ordered one wired Beta58 for band practice (don't own the wireless system, it was the company I worked for, or the hotels I worked at, that owned them). Would sure like to have a wireless system myself, but it's about 3 times the money. If I start to have a lot of gigs with my band I'll think about investing in a wireless system. I'd go for the Shure Beta 58, since that's what I've been using and had good results with it.

Every time I read this thread, I learn something new, and not just about wireless, or even the effects chain. Although, for example, it seems that the next step in my recording set-up is not a new computer or more mics, or even a wireless. But a pre-amp and limiter and usb interface combo.

The interface I have is really more suited for electric guitar and I have a Roland GS-6 (museum piece, really) digital effects rack mount unit that I can use as a pre-amp for the guitar, jacking straight in.

But the voice is such a unique instrument, capable of such a range of volume and pitch. A tough beast to tame, recording-wise.

And how these different mics, all reviewed and touted as the best and each bragging on similar response ranges, really do sound different on different voices.

Until Bruce Dickinson switched to headset mics, he made a career with the SM58, the battle tank of mics.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all have time in a studio trying out different mics, at least for recording.

Then, you would need a sound stage to go through the process again, for a live or stage mic.

And a gig bag would have a few mics, depending on the sound of the venue you go to .

OK. If not, don't - you have to spend real money to approach the quality of the same capsule on a wired mic.

Can you explain that, or what experience you have had that led you to this realization?

Wireless mics don't sound as good as wired mics with the same capsule. The expensive ones come close, but still not the same. If one does not get you more money on the gig, go wired.

Hi everyone,

I'm new here on the Modern Vocalist Forum, and I have a question. I want to buy a wireless mic, but it's hard to find a good one. It has to be a dynamic mic, because I'm gonna use it in a rockband. I don't want it to be a Shure SM58 or Beta58, because they don't sound good with my voice.

So, can you please give me some good advice?

Thanks!

Vocalisha, by far, the BEST value for a simple wireless solution is to purchase the Samson Airline 77.  For $260, you get a wireless solution that enables you to plug in an adapter/transmitter into ANY dynamic microphone and instantly make it wireless!  Ive used if for years and they are great... this way, every dynamic mic you already own, can suddenly be wireless.  The package also comes with a free Samson Q7, which is also a decent microphone.

Click HERE

The TMV World Forum Vocal Gear Store to read more about it and purchase.

Click HERE

To download a PDF of Recommended Vocal Gear as well. 

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you.. but definitely get the Samson Airline 77 if you want a reliable and very affordable wireless solution!

BTW:

Here is an interview I did at The Hard Rock Cafe, regarding vocal gear that you guys might find useful.

PS: Hey you guys... please upload pictures to your profiles when you get a chance... it helps make the forum look more cool... thanks!  And Welcome, its great to have you all here!

For me, it depends. I could see using a wireless if I am also playing guitar. Otherwise, with a wired mic in a stand, you are sometimes leaning forward to avoid banging the guitar on the mic stand. Unless you turn and extend the boom so that you are not right against the stand.

I HAVE RECENTLY RECEIVED THE NEW RØDELinke Wireless M2 and it is GREAT! Fantastic value and sounds killer. I am on a voice technique, masterclass tour in Europe right now and have had the chance to do a comparison of the RØDELink against more expensive microphones such as the Sennheiser ew100 and another Shure wireless and the RØDELinke sounds better ... and it feels better in the hands as well from an ergonomic perspective.

Performer_Kit_Mic_And_Desk_Left_Angle.png

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this