Sign in to follow this  
Adonis

Does anybody here have the singing key range of Bruno Mars?

Rate this topic

Ok I posted how Dave Brooks believes Bruno Mars is cut from a different clothe and most people will never reach his singing ability to sing high.

Some of you guys said that its B.S and that Bruno Mars has been singing since 4 years old meaning that he worked hard to reach the level of singing that he does today.

To be honest I'm not sure what to believe because Bruno Mars sings real high notes LIVE EVERYTIME. Like Grenade has a bunch of high notes like a A4, C5, D5 in the chorus.... everytime! Thats ridiculous and he hits them everytime live as well.

So I'm wondering if what alot of you say is true about how being able to learn to sing in high key's like Bruno Mars, then I'm wondering have any of you guys done it?

Seriously I'm really interested in this topic because the more I see Bruno Mars sing LIVE and compare him to other live singers mainstream or non mainstream I realize Bruno Mars is a freak of nature.

I'm not saying Bruno Mars the greatest of all time just that this guy is unreal in the ability to sing high notes LIVE EVERYTIME. Not only that he sings in a freakin high key like F4 in Grenade which is just crazy. Dude is living in F4!!! Simply unbelievable.

I sing billionaire, nothing on you and just the way you are live. I dont believe he is a freak of nature. He has been doing it for a long time and had a high range to begin with. Dave brooks :/... I couldnt sing that high years ago now I can do it and have been doing it night after night it takes time. I sing bruno, katy perry,steve perry,led zeppelin,stevie wonder and have never told the band " hey can we lower the key"? But I have put my time and years in:D

Ok, keep in mind I am not great at doing this stuff. In fact I never sing like this... ever. But I gave it a shot. And it didn't seem to strenous. Not quite the power he has, but it's a similar sound... right?

https://www.box.com/s/4m3bqcqc08i968fygg0q

I do a chorus into the bridge thing.

I mean, if I can kinda do it, I'd think most people could if they tried. I was another one of those guys that couldn't sing above E4 (or even E4) when he first started.

Seth

I sing billionaire, nothing on you and just the way you are live. I dont believe he is a freak of nature. He has been doing it for a long time and had a high range to begin with. Dave brooks :/... I couldnt sing that high years ago now I can do it and have been doing it night after night it takes time. I sing bruno, katy perry,steve perry,led zeppelin,stevie wonder and have never told the band " hey can we lower the key"? But I have put my time and years in:D

Awesome can you post up a sample?

Ok, keep in mind I am not great at doing this stuff. In fact I never sing like this... ever. But I gave it a shot. And it didn't seem to strenous. Not quite the power he has, but it's a similar sound... right?

https://www.box.com/s/4m3bqcqc08i968fygg0q

I do a chorus into the bridge thing.

I mean, if I can kinda do it, I'd think most people could if they tried. I was another one of those guys that couldn't sing above E4 (or even E4) when he first started.

Seth

You did kinda do it but the thing is would you be able to do it 10 times in a row. Its one thing to kinda do just the chorus/bridge but do the whole song in one take almost no mistakes 10 times in a row.

There's nothing magic. He's been doing this his whole life. It's like Daniel says, it takes years. But no time to start like the present!

Also, I am a big fan of this guy's skills, but a lot of performances are autotuned these days, or at least that's my understanding.

There's nothing magic. He's been doing this his whole life. It's like Daniel says, it takes years. But no time to start like the present!

Also, I am a big fan of this guy's skills, but a lot of performances are autotuned these days, or at least that's my understanding.

Yeah he has been doing this his whole life but the thing is there is a clip of him when hes 15 years old and he sounds even higher!

I think he was born with it and obviously he has some technique to make his voice last and improve it overall but his singing key range I believe he was just born with it.

Yeah, he's just a natural tenor, no doubt about it. But if this forum has taught me anything, fach doesn't matter. Not if you're willing to put the work in anyway. I am a long way from where I want to be. But I am also a long way from where I used to be. So I guess the question is... are you willing to work to get to the place where people say "he must have been born with it"...

Yeah agree with seth. When i started out My highest note was D4 and all the vocalcoaches i had Said i never would be able to sing rocktenor. I simply just didnt have that voice...

Now everytime i visit à vocalcoach they all like yell"Tenor!"

Dont make range anything dramatic, it's just sounds... There is nothing "special, or you have to be Born with it" when it comes to range

I have met Bruno, and have taught his songwriting partner/backup singer piano last summer. We talked a bit about Brunos range and he told me that Bruno wakes up every morning and can just sing just like the record on cue. He also said that Bruno jokes that he has "Mosquito Range", and that his band will make fun of his high voice. Case in point was this morning on the Today show, Bruno stepped out to sing "White Christmas" but Philip (guy I taught, his backround singer) pushed him aside and sang the first verse in the Bing Crosby low range. Philip and his Brother whom i also teach happen to both be amazing singers themselves.

I personally believe Bruno to be the best singer on the mainstream radio. I dont think he uses auto live, as you can occasionally hear some imperfections. Check out Bruno singer "Dirty Diana"

^very cool. And when I was talking about touchups I was thinking post production rather than during the actual performance. I also think Bruno is "top of the pops", along with Adam Lambert and that guy from Train. And I would totally go see him live.

Voices are different, so if you really are beginning to train aiming to do "Bruno Style", Id say its too weak as a motivation, specially thinking about something so simple as range. The real problem you will face is not on the high notes, but the middle ones.

I strongly recommend that instead of seeking highnotes, you aim for a work with quality and consistency no matter the "key" you are using. Versatility is what will give the tools you need to perform at a higher level and instead of worrying about range, worry about how you will deliver the song, and even have some fun doing so.

Singing similar material without a very solid background is torturing both to the singer and who is listenning to him.

As Daniel said, doable, but you will have to work a lot for it. A real lot, and even after trainned, you will have to keep maintaining the conditioning as long as you want to perform at such level. Just like with all other high level physical activity. Depending on your voice, it may not be the most interesting approach, I would never sacrifice a deeper and richer timbre for it, but this is subject to choice.

I have met Bruno, and have taught his songwriting partner/backup singer piano last summer. We talked a bit about Brunos range and he told me that Bruno wakes up every morning and can just sing just like the record on cue. He also said that Bruno jokes that he has "Mosquito Range", and that his band will make fun of his high voice. Case in point was this morning on the Today show, Bruno stepped out to sing "White Christmas" but Philip (guy I taught, his backround singer) pushed him aside and sang the first verse in the Bing Crosby low range. Philip and his Brother whom i also teach happen to both be amazing singers themselves.

I personally believe Bruno to be the best singer on the mainstream radio. I dont think he uses auto live, as you can occasionally hear some imperfections. Check out Bruno singer "Dirty Diana"

WOW AWESOME!

Thanks for the story. Really appreciate it.

Yeah I saw him sing those things in the morning, amazing.

Through speaking to Bruno and Phillip did you get the feeling or was told that Bruno worked his way to sing like he sings or he was just born with that singing range?

I mean in Grenade he is singing in the key of F4, that is just ridiculous. F4 is like a note that most people will be belting out in a chorus and Bruno is just doing whole verses on that note, unreal.

You did kinda do it but the thing is would you be able to do it 10 times in a row. Its one thing to kinda do just the chorus/bridge but do the whole song in one take almost no mistakes 10 times in a row.

Yeah he's very skillfull, but this is not impossible rangewise if you can do it once you just need to build stamina to be able to do it more :)

Most guys who have Been around this forum for à longer while can pull this off some even have more range than bruno. Then im not saying people sound just like bruno, but being able to sing it in the original key

I think the basic technique he is using is pulling chest really high but also with a lot of twang and lower breath pressure than the "usual belting". He pulls chest up to about D5 I think (definitely a tenor). A typical sign for that is that he has almost no vibrato on his higher notes because the high amount of twang combined with M1 just doesn't allow for it to happen.

However this singing style definitely is intensive on the vocal folds. And I definitely have heard him transposing some of his songs down 1 or 2 notes on live gigs.

I would definitely believe that he is able to sing that way when he wakes up because he doesnt use his vocal folds in a "gentle" way where a little bit of "morning problems" would throw the free vibration off. His folds aren't vibrating very freely anyway because of the combination of chest mode and twang.

Personally I can copy his "way of singing" technique-wise, but because I'm a bass I can only go up to A4 using it. I just don't like the "screamy" sound of that style, so I don't use it myself.

Adonis.

Bruno has been a performer since age 4, and been doin shows, pretty intense shows, since I think 6. So his voice is just super strong and that's why he can handle these keys night after night. He also has a very high speaking voice and doesn't really have any low notes at all. According to Phil, he never had any vocal training, just does it. Will his voice last? Who knows but for now what he can do, he can do consistently over and over. I know a few singers who can sing grenade without a problem every time, in that key. They are just great singers ;)

you can take your voice just about anywhere you want it to, if are willing to work really hard for it.

great advice from dan and felipe.

Adonis.

Bruno has been a performer since age 4, and been doin shows, pretty intense shows, since I think 6. So his voice is just super strong and that's why he can handle these keys night after night. He also has a very high speaking voice and doesn't really have any low notes at all. According to Phil, he never had any vocal training, just does it. Will his voice last? Who knows but for now what he can do, he can do consistently over and over. I know a few singers who can sing grenade without a problem every time, in that key. They are just great singers ;)

Wow thanx alot Mr. Thornberry, this has been a question that I always wanted to know about Bruno. Really appreciate you taking the time to share with us your stories and answering my question.

Those guys that can sing Grenade in the key that Bruno Mars does it are unreal. I remember I counted how many people on YouTube were able to do it and from 54 covers of male singers only 9 were able to do it in Bruno's key and who knows if that was the only time they were able to do it. I hear how sometimes singers record at a higher key in the studio but always go lower on live performances.

Those guys that are able to sing in Bruno's key are rare though but at the end of the day tone, texture, color of voice is the most important aspect of a voice in my opinion. Whether you sing high, low, or mid it dont matter if you got a terrible tone.

Wow, this song is a killer. Had to take a shot at it. Im sweatin.. Wonder what are your thoughts on my try.

Sorry for the pitchiness. It was a quick take.

I think I am done singing for the next week ;)

http://soundcloud.com/user206400908/short-part-of-grenade-by-bruno/s-l7MjM

that was really good man give yourself some props:)

Voices are different, so if you really are beginning to train aiming to do "Bruno Style", Id say its too weak as a motivation, specially thinking about something so simple as range. The real problem you will face is not on the high notes, but the middle ones.

I strongly recommend that instead of seeking highnotes, you aim for a work with quality and consistency no matter the "key" you are using. Versatility is what will give the tools you need to perform at a higher level and instead of worrying about range, worry about how you will deliver the song, and even have some fun doing so.

Singing similar material without a very solid background is torturing both to the singer and who is listenning to him.

As Daniel said, doable, but you will have to work a lot for it. A real lot, and even after trainned, you will have to keep maintaining the conditioning as long as you want to perform at such level. Just like with all other high level physical activity. Depending on your voice, it may not be the most interesting approach, I would never sacrifice a deeper and richer timbre for it, but this is subject to choice.

Excellent reply.

For those of you guys that want to give it a shot the notes are as follows

What you dont understand is I catch a gre-nade for ya

(F4) (G4) (G4)(A4) (F4) (D4)

Throw my hand on the blade for ya

(G4) (A4) (F4) (D4)

I jump in front of a tra-in for ya

(F4) (C5) (A#4) (A4) (A#4)(A4) (F4) (D4)

You know I do a----ny----th----ing for ya

(F4) (C5) (A#4) (A4) (A#4) (A4) (F4) (D4)

I will go through all this pain

(F4) (G4) (A4) (F4) (G4)

Take a bullet straight through my bra---in

(F4) (G4) (C5) (D5) (A4) (G4) (F4)

Have at it fellas if you can handle it and btw dont ruin your voice trying it :P

Thanks Daniel!

my voice is too thin up there. Bruno's voice sounds more full up there.

In the live videos on youtube he does seem to be trying hard to hit the notes but the sound that comes out is effortless. Amazing. All his songs are in that high range.

would love to hear your rendition Daniel!

Gilad - You're attempt is good....It is not too thin at all. Bruno's weight is actually lighter than yours. His tone is just a little brighter. Sounds like you're coordinating correctly. I think if you work at the lighter coordination (like Bruno) you'll be able to sing this with less effort. But to sing lighter up there (not falsetto) takes a while to learn - lots of practice.

Thanks Geno. I am sure its alot of work.

Btw, took a listen to your songs. You have an awesome voice bro. What is your range? Are you a four pillars trainer?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this