Sign in to follow this  
Adonis

Does anybody here have the singing key range of Bruno Mars?

Rate this topic

it's all about working with what you have...listen to bari ken tamplin tackle it.

sounds different, but still great (i.m.h.o.)

Clips with vocal coaches:

Here's a couple of bonus clips :D

A little girl asks Bruno Mars to sing....*GASP*......... Justin Bieber......

She actually thought Bruno Mars was Justin Bieber......LOL....what is this world coming to?.....

A band covering "Just the Way You Are" in front of Bruno Mars.

At the end, Bruno Mars says "you're a little star.... i quit."...haha....

I couldn't disagree with you more.

That is very good. Hard to hold it against Ken for being a better vocalist with much more power.

He blows Bruno Mars out of the water.

To be fair....

In the video, Ken Tamplin says Bruno Mars is very similar to Michael Jackson.

If you've ever seen Ken Tamplin's video about Michael Jackson, you'll remember

that he said Michael Jackson's voice is the COMPLETE polar opposite of his own voice.

So naturally a Bruno Mars song would be difficult for him.

Wow, this song is a killer. Had to take a shot at it. Im sweatin.. Wonder what are your thoughts on my try.

Sorry for the pitchiness. It was a quick take.

I think I am done singing for the next week ;)

http://soundcloud.com/user206400908/short-part-of-grenade-by-bruno/s-l7MjM

gil, can't play the file.

Bruno Mars is singing on X-Factor tonight. The show started 20 minutes ago. It's a 1 hour show.

Also, I'm surprised that no one mentioned that Bruno Mars comes from a family of musicians.

I'm sure growing up in a musical family made it easier for him to hone his singing (and songwriting) skills.

You literally had a band that's always around at your house.

Good luck ever scheduling a time to meet with all band members these days. :(

From Wikipedia:

"Mars was one of six children and came from a musical family who exposed him to a diverse mix of reggae, rock, hip hop, and R&B.[16][17] In addition to being a dancer, his mother was a singer and his father used his musical ability to perform Little Richard rock n roll music.[3] Mars' uncle was an Elvis impersonator, and encouraged three-year-old Mars to perform on stage as well. Mars also performed songs by artists such as Michael Jackson, The Isley Brothers, and The Temptations.[14] At age four, Mars began performing five days a week with his family's band, The Love Notes, in which he became known on the island for his impersonation of Presley.[18] In 1990, Mars was featured in MidWeek as "Little Elvis", going on to have a cameo in the film Honeymoon in Vegas in 1992.[14][19]"

Thanks Geno. I am sure its alot of work.

Btw, took a listen to your songs. You have an awesome voice bro. What is your range? Are you a four pillars trainer?

gilad - thanks man. I've been working on my lower range lately. I can sing down to an E2 but not connected or bright - just kind of a yawn. My lowest usable bright tone is about A2 or Ab2. I practice up to C6 everyday. I gained my range from the KTVA program.

gilad - thanks man. I've been working on my lower range lately. I can sing down to an E2 but not connected or bright - just kind of a yawn. My lowest usable bright tone is about A2 or Ab2. I practice up to C6 everyday. I gained my range from the KTVA program.

Damn. C6?

What was it before you started training?

Gilad, range is just sounds. Look at it that way, it's nothing superspecial or mythical about it.

You can get how high you want, there is no stop i promise you, ive experienced this firsthand. Whats more important Will ALWAYS be quality

Gilad, range is just sounds. Look at it that way, it's nothing superspecial or mythical about it.

You can get how high you want, there is no stop i promise you, ive experienced this firsthand. Whats more important Will ALWAYS be quality

Jens you mention that your highest note was a D4 and now what is your highest note? Also did you raise your singing key range?

Well I was a rangechaser of rank. I trained range like crazy i started not being able to sing above D4

My range just grew and grew all of a Sudden i could hit up to C7 the D7 when i stopped chasing range was when i realised you can Always get more. Some days i hit notes above the piano, and then all of a sudden it hit me

"what the (*auto edit*) am i doing?" This isnt singing... It's just noise and sounds Everyone can do it ofthe put Their mind to it.

You come to the realisation that if you focus on range to much your quality Will be lesser. Focus on the C4-C5 range thats what defines a singer, It has taken me many years to come to that conclusion. Tone, quality, control,pitch in that area defines you as a singer.

I guess i just had to experiencethe highnotes myself before i could "let" them go. Knowing i can hit those pitches despite all my old teachers Said i was a baritone and never would be able to sing rock tenor

These clips are 3 years old i dont use My voice like this anymore(unless i listen to lost horizon) ;)

Www.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=S7WsrtWsahc

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa3uKAiEqu8

Well I was a rangechaser of rank. I trained range like crazy i started not being able to sing above D4

My range just grew and grew all of a Sudden i could hit up to C7 the D7 when i stopped chasing range was when i realised you can Always get more. Some days i hit notes above the piano, and then all of a sudden it hit me

"what the (*auto edit*) am i doing?" This isnt singing... It's just noise and sounds Everyone can do it ofthe put Their mind to it.

You come to the realisation that if you focus on range to much your quality Will be lesser. Focus on the C4-C5 range thats what defines a singer, It has taken me many years to come to that conclusion. Tone, quality, control,pitch in that area defines you as a singer.

I guess i just had to experiencethe highnotes myself before i could "let" them go. Knowing i can hit those pitches despite all my old teachers Said i was a baritone and never would be able to sing rock tenor

These clips are 3 years old i dont use My voice like this anymore(unless i listen to lost horizon) ;)

Wow that sounded awesome!

Your voice really suits the song, no doubt.

C7? D7? Wow.

Well, you are right about the high high range, but being able to sing comfortably through D5 is what I am looking for. I get there, but I want to get there with a full voice.

Then again, wouldn't mind singing like the russian dude from the clip below either ;)

He does it nicely, not just making a sound.

Your clips are amazing bro. Even though not my genre of music, but wow, nice voice.

Well it depends who you ask if they are good, but they are good to prove My point :) cause they are over the top in regards to range :)

Damn. C6?

What was it before you started training?

Gilad - Jens blows me away with his range. When I first joined this forum he was one of the members that made me realize that upper range doesn't have a limit (well there IS a limit, but very high). I can sing higher than C6 - I just don't have any practical use so I just stop at C6 from a practice standpoint. Before I started developing my headvoice I could sing up to a B4, but not well and with strain (and sometimes minor injury)

opa it's not the focus of this thread. im making a guide about it and alot of other cool things.

when you understand how it all works highnotes is demystified.

it's also very unrewarding, try doing hooty superlight headslides 2-3 minutes aday the higher you go get alittle more quiet.

Dont overdo it, work on the passagio mainfocus should always be there

opa it's not the focus of this thread. im making a guide about it and alot of other cool things sometime in the future.

when you understand how it all works highnotes is demystified.

it's also very unrewarding, try doing hooty superlight headslides 2-3 minutes aday the higher you go get alittle more quiet.

Dont overdo it, work on the passagio mainfocus should always be there

great stuff there jens, and a great comment you made above.

gil, i get nowhere with that link...it asks me to update my browser, but it is updated.

that's okay, don't worry about it.

Amen, Jens. I never really worried about what my top note is until I came to this forum. As long as I could sing Led Zep songs in the original key and with intensity, I was happy. So, yeah, I have done a C6 here and there. But I don't go to that note every day. Nor do I go to the lowest note every day.

I got more in the one voice thing and the pesky passaggio. It pleases me more to sing evenly in the 4th octave, as I know I already have the 5th. Now, by worrying about the meaty middle, it is becoming easier to sing Steve Perry's lines. No, I don't sound like him and I purposefully ignore his tone and follow my own. But I am finding singing those songs to be easier. And no, I'm not going to be doing a bunch of Journey covers. I am using them as guideposts. They were problematic before, not so much now. Same with Boston songs. I don't plan to cover Boston songs but I am doing well, in my own inflated opinion of myself :lol: when I can follow along with Brad without a strain.

Haven't read all the posts here. But in general I want to say this: The majority of the users I've heard on this forum lacks good support. To be able to do a D5 in full voice (For Bruno Mars curbing in CVT terms) you need a really big amount of support without getting too tight and that's tricky to learn for the most of us. I think many singers underestimates the value of support. The fact that you don't hear a lot of air when you are singing doesn't mean you have good support.

For me, to be able to push my full voice over C5 in a healthy manner, good support was the key. Removes all the straining and fatigue and makes it sound better as well.

It's an important thing to train how to move around freely up there, but at the same time, important to stay away from when choosing songs or writing original material that you plan to perform live regularly, unless you like to live on the edge.

My favorite part of the reponse, as well as the worries about passaggio.

And I want to brag on Robert, again. The perfect example.

I have heard him sing "Child in Time," "Gethsemane," and "Green Menalishi" (the JP version.) Really high-pitched songs, considering that he was a baritone in college.

And when he writes his own songs, he does not have a lot of strat notes in it. Not because he is afraid of doing them. But because the song is better served with where he has keyed it, as well as the vocal melody. He is, among other things, a great technical singer, but he is also an artistic singer, which is the end goal, in my opinion.

If a person can do a high note artistically and it makes sense, fine, do it. But not just to show off the note. I wrote an original song recently. Not a single strat note in it, which I could easily do. But the song did not call for it, in my feeling and interpretation of my own writing. Instead, it floated around and just above the standard passaggio. Which could technically challenging for some. I wrote it the way I did because that is how the song feels, to me.

And we should all pay attention to the song, as well as our voices.

Good one, Owen.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this