Sign in to follow this  
chamcham

Whistle Register for Men

Rate this topic

Is whistle register something that most men can eventually build up?

What are some exercises for building the whistle register?

I know everyone says that whistle note are not very musical and limited in their use.

But, I like the way they sound, and think it would be cool to be able to hit them reliably for some songs.

Since women usually hit higher notes than men, I figure that only the super-rare high-voiced males can

make it to whistle register.

My favorite song with whistle notes is Mariah Carey's "Emotions":

Official Music Video

Mariah singing live on Arsenio Hall

Youtube covers

Her singing sucks(and sounds more like screaming), but she can hit whistle notes without much effort

She's much better than the previous girl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr4VI0Sm0vE

So far I've found 3 guys attempting those whistle notes:

Adam Lopez (current Guiness World Record holder for highest note)

I really like the arrangement used in this video

A Japanese guy

Another guy

What are your comments on the whistle register technique for some of these people?

In particular, Adam Lopez's whistle sounds more like a weak falsetto to me.

Or is it really as full and connected as some of the comments may suggest?

For good measure, here is a video of Adam Lopez's vocal range:

Is whistle register something that most men can eventually build up?

What are some exercises for building the whistle register?

Why do you care about 'most men'? I think you really want to know if _YOU_ can. If you want to, then train for it.

To help with this... understand how whistle voice works.....

First, it is not a whistle. That is a mis-nomer, a left-over from a misunderstanding about how this pitch region works functionally at the laryngeal level.

The whistle register is just very high... with a very good alignment of harmonics and resonances. Current thinking is that its a harmonic alignment with R3.

Which means that very few notes are available which will sound well.

But, if you like them... learn to do them. Let go of all vocal weight and sense of projection, but continue clear siren-tone as you go upward.

I hope this is helpful in what you seek.

adam's lopez whistle sounds much more connected on other videos...

My limited experience fiddling with it...the pitch is really hard to control up there, that's the hardest part, and what I haven't practiced. Hitting the notes/finding the register really just comes down to really really really thinning out the vocal folds and using barely any air...you're basically holding your breath.

If you can make squeaks up there I'd bet you can sing up there. The question is, are you willing to put in the practice. I personally have much more important areas of my voice to worry about, but if I wanted to learn the whistle parts in this song, I would just train five tone scales in whistle voice daily and I'm sure the results would come.

Makes me want to check if I can still get up that high though :lol:

Yeah, me too! Most of the time I top out at A5. But, i am a bass :-)

Steven the harmonic alignment is Both right and wrong :) it happens in the whistleregister but can also forinstance happen in high headregister aswell.

The harmonic alignment is what makes the voice sound like à whistle, the whistleregister occurs when the vocalflageolet becomes dominant in the voice. Meaning the folds tense up become alittle curved and dont vibrate along the entire lenght :)

Headregister/falsetto with harmonic alignment

Www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MqOJHXvg1w

Whistleregister

Www.youtube.com/watch?v=f35FSQAGNGE

Why do i seperate these Two? Basicly since the sensations and how the voice behaves differs like night and day, the diffrence is also extremly obvious when you do them Next to eachother live

For what its worth, I've got a friend, and even though he's had no vocal training whatsoever, he can hit a B6 in whistle register without breaking a sweat. I guess some are just born with it while others have to work for it.

B6? Whew, that's higher than I can sing. I've only made it to C6 but that's full voice, for me. I don't have a whistle register, that I know of.

Awesome. It would be cool to hear some more 6th and 7th octave notes, just for novelty, even.

I tried yesterday to test my "register". I can hit a d6. Don t know if it s whistle or head voice. But i think it useless lol

That's still a little higher than I can go. Then, again, I am probably limiting myself to just notes that are loud enough to wake the dead.

I think a number of people who have done these whistle notes don't have much volume with them. I remember a video clip that was once linked in this forum of a guy on a "talk show" doing some of those. Extremely quiet, could not be used for anything, required a mic and silence on the set.

Neat thing to do though.

Well, I was crazily hungover from New Year celebrations yesterday.. my voice was completely shot. I thought it would be interesting just to start making sounds and see if there was any head voice available.. This was the funny part, my voice was cracking all over the place and was just making really weird noises... I recorded these weird noises for a laugh and on this my voice seemed to crack into a 'whistle' ish pitch... check it out, very strange!

https://www.box.com/s/dvgrkfrz8m94dbmsqazl

To get a feeling for the whistle register (flageolot mode), you can try to sing VERY quiet and just use your normal technique. Try to sing a VERY QUIET G5 for example. In a low-mass configuration (which is needed for VERY QUIET) you will go into flageolot mode at this note.

However, if you sing loud you will push your M2 register into the flageolot area (this is just like belting, where you push M1 into M2), which means the G5 will be sung in a twang-enhanced falsetto and not in flageolot. This makes it easy to get confused about M2 and M3, like Jens said.

I can control the whistle mode quite well if I'm singing quiet in the area around E5-A5. However, if I go higher I can hardly control it anymore. The highest I managed to get was C#7, but only did it once or twice and there is absolutely no connection to it from the rest of my voice. Adam Lopez holds the record for highest whistle with a C#8 btw (as a MALE).

When I wake up in the morning my whistle voice is clear but when it become difficult to do it I don't know y is it like that