Mucinex (guaifenesin) for clearing away mucus

Rate this topic

• 1 month later...

Ive used it quite a bit Chen, my chiropracter even recommended using it to help clear excess mucus from the body. I do believe there is a recommendation on the container not to exceed X amount of days of continuous use?? (really cant remember right now, - Dr. Feinberg -???) but its probably not a bad idea to "stop" and take a break from it now and then?? the old saying "anything in excess, is excess".....

somethng else comes to mind, i also use acidophulus, helps promote healthy bacteria levels, i think that may be more towards your other post on acid reflux tho....

Thank you Dr. Feinberg. What a relief to finally find some answers.

Mucinex actually makes everything great for me. My biggest concern with it is continuous use, as it isn’t designed for use for than 7 days. Additionally, I wonder if it can aggravate acid reflux, as it appears to me that Mucinex would thin some of the mucus in the esophaghus.

I deeply appreciate your answers.

• Administrator

I, too use Mucinex on occasion and found that it works very well. You're correct that it isn't for continuous use. I was advised by my pharmacist that if the problem persisted, that 1) Mucinex will lose it's effectiveness after several days and 2) Switch over to Loratadine for a few days before using Mucinex again.

However, I don't like to use over the counter medications for a prolonged period of time, so if the problems persist, I visit my M.D.

At least one ENT I know, who works with top-level singers, keeps them on Mucinex all the time, year after year. [alternating with Loratidine might be good for some conditions, maybe not where there is chronic dryness? Know your own system and your own MD/pharmacist].

Main cautions I give people who take it are (1) be extra sure you are drinking enough water; don't want airway mucous to thin out by drawing away moisture needed elsewhere (2) time doses carefully: standard pill lasts 12 hrs but can wear off very suddenly, and increased phlegm or congestion in the airway can be unpleasant in the middle of the night or middle of a gig! (3) there are some "generic" kinds now available through CostCo and similar BIG retailers, much less expensive than the pharmacy brand-name, but can have a bitter taste, just be prepared.

I've never heard of problems from Mucinex interacting with digestive system. Mucous lining in the esophagus is very different than that in the airway [it's built to buffer against strong acids, which airway is not, =one of the reasons why reflux can be so irritating to larynx].

When I update my book, I'm thinking a whole chapter on mucous would be interesting. Forgive me though if I avoid those green shrek-like cartoons in the Mucinex commercials, they gross me out more than any actual human goo.

snarfle on, dudes & dudettes

:)

• 1 month later...

Hi guys - Mucinex. I am taking this for life as it is the protocol treatment by Dr Amand for Fibromyalgia! what I would say is that the herb....... as that is what it is.... Guaifenesin - has been used safely for over 400 years! The problem with Mucinex is that the tablet's use coloured dye and have fillers. I am going to change now to SOLOGUAI instead. You may also be interested to know that for my usage the effects of Mucinex are halted by topical applications that contain salicylates so in order for it to work for my use I have had to adopt a totally new skincare/personal hygiene regime. It will work at clearing mucous ok without cutting out salicylates but I would suggest the pharmacist who said that it's effectiveness wears off, is probably seeing that for these very reasons. The best way to keep mucous down is to keep the body ph ratio balanced, very little dairy produce and let a cold come out properly. The more you dowse it and try to stop it, the more mucous loading you will build in your body! That's the natural law of how your body works! I'll also warn you guys that it's the Vernal Equinox this weekend.....watch out for more colds etc! love Hilary :cool:

• 11 years later...