Struggling and need advice from someone.

Rate this topic

hellotherehihi

Hello all. I'm the lead singer of a pro touring band. For the past few months, we've been writing songs for a new album and it's honestly been a bit stressful because of this weird situation I've been constantly finding myself in.

Daily, since mid July 2013, I've felt a tension in the back of my neck/lower back of my head, temples and sometimes my teeth and forehead. It's literally ALL the time. This tension really sort of ruins the whole act of singing, because I feel it when I sing and I think about it while I sing, so it's even worse because I can't get it out of my mind.

However, I've noticed some fixes that SORT of relieve the tension.

1. Wearing my guitar strap like a necklace( instead of around my shoulder, I rest my strap over the back of my neck), for some reason this pretty much removes all the tension from my head/neck, but it makes my neck hurt over time.

2. wearing a headband around my forehead, over my ears and having the back of the headband pull against the back of my upper neck.

3. sometimes wearing a tight hat helps.

4. Massages temporarily give me relief as well.

Is this just all in my head? How do I cope? any advice at all?

I can relate to the lower/back of the neck pain. Turned out it was the way I was sleeping. The way my head was positioned wasn't giving my neck muscles a chance to relax...which landed me I the er with a neck spasm. This sounds dumb, but I bought one of those contour pillows (getting old sucks) and no more neck pain.

As far as the other symptoms, idk man. See a doctor or chiropractor.

o it's even worse because I can't get it out of my mind.

1. Wearing my guitar strap like a necklace( instead of around my shoulder, I rest my strap over the back of my neck), for some reason this pretty much removes all the tension from my head/neck, but it makes my neck hurt over time.

2. wearing a headband around my forehead, over my ears and having the back of the headband pull against the back of my upper neck.

Just wanted to get the complete image in my head. Something loose around the neck, be it the guitar strap or something similar.

And then a headband.

Then, a pair of tights.

The image reminded me both fo Flashdance and Olivia Newton-John's costume in "Let's Get Physical." I'm not saying that it doesn't work for you, just had to share my vision of this solution.

Hello all. I'm the lead singer of a pro touring band. For the past few months, we've been writing songs for a new album and it's honestly been a bit stressful because of this weird situation I've been constantly finding myself in.

Daily, since mid July 2013, I've felt a tension in the back of my neck/lower back of my head, temples and sometimes my teeth and forehead. It's literally ALL the time. This tension really sort of ruins the whole act of singing, because I feel it when I sing and I think about it while I sing, so it's even worse because I can't get it out of my mind.

Is this just all in my head? How do I cope? any advice at all?

i'm not a doctor, but don't rule out these as symptoms of a sinus condition.

• Administrator

Videohere brought up an interesting point about the sinuses. So did derekreno about seeing a chiropractor.

Here's a link to an article I posted about sinus problems and some techniques that may help. Some of which were taught to me by my chiropractor. Perhaps this will help you. You have nothing to lose, and maybe everything to gain.....

http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profiles/blogs/ear-problems-and-the-eustacian

Warmest Regards,

Adolph