First time recording, looking for feedback : Kamelot - epilogue cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey all, been singing to myself for a few years now and decided to sing one of my favorite kamelot vocals on camera. I'm a real newbie but have been trying to just get more comfortable with my voice. Let me know what you think!

Cover :

Newbie my ass! That was amazing. Dude, you sang that sitting down...that's what blows my mind. Kudos!

Halfajack/ Albuquerque, NM USA

www.soundcloud.com/john-reilly-18
Www.soundcloud.com/sympathy4jack

I agree with Ron haha You are not a newbie by any means! You must have been singing for years, isn't it? :P I mean.. formally, either with a coach or self-tough. hehe

I'd like to hear more n.n

Oh wow, well thats some positive encouragement! I didnt realize sitting down was a big deal or affected how you sing , *hench the noob factor* haha.

I think a vocal coach would be beneficial but I am also one of those people who only sings in an empty room / havnt got the courage to take it seriously in front of people. Maybe someday. I also dont know my voice yet, I have such a wide range and sound but I really like the pretty boy metal voice ahah. Thanks again for the feed back.

It's just that I can hear elements of a well-trained and experienced voice that would seem incongruous with a self-described newbie. As for not singing in front of others, well, a video is singing in front of others, so is a sound file. And, for me, singing in front of people breathing in front of me is easier than recording. I get red light syndrome.

I'm no vocal academic, but I noticed a couple things that might help you to further polish an already well-developed instrument.

1: Posture/Support. The better your spinal alignment is, the easier it is for those core muscles to give you good breath support. I heard just a couple points where it sounded like you were using more air than the pitch required, a slight raspy, airy sound. If that's what you were going for, then kudos to you - it wasn't unpleasant or overdone.

2: Pinched? Right around 1:30-:35 it sounds almost like you're straining your neck to get the angsty sound. You might do a little better to loosen that up a bit and keep the highly focused air stream with, again, abdominal/pelvic support for the breath and try turning your head side to side while feeling out those pitches to make sure no muscles are unduly constricting your neck movement. You should try to be able to sing any pitch in your melodic range with your head/neck in almost any side-to-side alignment. Nodding down or tilting back more than just a little can impede the muscles around your larynx from executing good technique, do to linear deformation of the vocal folds.

All in all, an impressive cover! My only final note is to make sure when you sing it, be sure to sing it like YOU and not like the original artist.