Not Being Able To Keep Results From Practice Session

Rate this topic

Meness

So I was having a really good singing session just now. I decided that I wouldn't care about the quality of my notes cause I just wanted to sing and relieve some stress I've been having. I loosened my mouth, and for the first time in a long time, I felt like my singing had improved. The disparity between head and chest tones were very minimal and I could help minimize that even more by adding some cry into the fray. I was so happy and excited, so I kept singing.

But of course, life goes on, and I had a essay to finish. I was reluctant to stop, as I've had similar moments like this before in the past but as soon as I let my voice rest, it seems like it's forgotten how to sing in that way. And sure enough, it happened this time again :/

Does this happen to anyone else? Is there anything I can do to 'keep' my results (I don't know any other way to phrase this lol).

Same as warm ups humming lip trills tongue trills sirens scales not high etc. that is all that happened. sometimes you may warm down but you should always warm back up slowly. I used to do 2-3 shows a day(in Chicago summer festivals and club gigs) in the summertime and I learned that I would have to warmup for each one to get my voice ready for singing. This isn't for everyone but I found out through trial and error it worked for me and I wouldn't have to wonder if I was gonna be in good voice or not

There's often no simple explanation or solution to stuff like this. You will figure out with time what works for your voice and what doesn't. Don't jump to conclusions too quickly. A ton of factors come into play regarding what leads to these good vocal moments.

What I can say from my experience thus far as a vocal student is that the most important thing is to take "snapshots" of the good moments. Whether you have 5 seconds to sing or 5 hours, when it's good, pay full attention. Really analyze why it could be working so well. Pay attention to the physical sensation, the sound, your mentality, the time of day, how you warmed up or didn't or rested or didn't, hydration, sleep, eating, exercise, practice strategies, etc....any factors that you think may have led to your voice ending up operating with great technique. When you can figure out what got you to the good moments, you can use that information to formulate strategies to repeat it, and start having more and more good vocal days.

Those great sessions are the best time to learn about and develop your voice, so treat them like they are extremely valuable, because they are.

Good luck. If you just keep studying your good moments, in a few years time you'll have figured out how to set yourself up to have a good vocal day pretty much whenever you want, as long as you are in good health.

Actually, the secret is in your first post.

You had writer's block. While worrying about that, you sang, not paying attention so much to singing as it was an escape. And did fine. Later, after finishing school work, you had no stress from the school work to drive your need to escape.

What you need is more stress and tension. Try my job, for one day. It will give you a beautiful singing voice to last a life time.

:lol: :rolleyes:

i have found for myself, when the voice is just "on" and you feel like there's is nothing you can't do....it was likely because i took a day or two off from training and rested it....let any residual fold swelling go down, the muscles take a break, the body recuperates.