Conception - And I Close My Eyes

• TMV World Legacy Member

Second attempt at this song :D

I am steadily getting better at it. This time I mixed it with the music, but as I could not remove the vocals I just lowered the gain so I could be heard over Roy Khan's MEGAVOICE hahah

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/And%20I%20Close%20My%20Eyes%202.mp3?w=AABzplNQzCvf0vwYB7PopS2Wh_vDjsl_blJgi_ZmOv_NOA

https://app.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_12152344512

https://soundcloud.com/sebabergmann/and-i-close-my-eyes-2nd

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Well.. that's weird because before I created the box account I was able to hear other's sounds in that page o:

I put my SoundCloud too if you have an account. Otherwise, I have no idea haha

I will check out Dropbox, later :)

Well.. that's weird because before I created the box account I was able to hear other's sounds in that page o:

I put my SoundCloud too if you have an account. Otherwise, I have no idea haha

I will check out Dropbox, later :)

Xam, I listened to it. It is hard for me to give advice in this area because I grew up in a musical family (a few generations) and so am a bit spoiled that way.

Here is what I think, based on experience with teaching many things. Leave aside this kind of music for a while. Choose a karaoke piece for a song that you really like with a very, good, clear melody. Liking it is very important. Then reproduce the melody ---- you have to stay faithful to it ---- first, as closely to the original as you can. When you feel you have the melody and nuances just right ..... then simply relax and sing in your own way.

You will know the instant you are there. Until then, do it not to arrive anywhere, but simply do it because you love the song ..... again and again, in a smart way so that you do not lose interest in it.

You can get there. :)

Xam, I listened to it. It is hard for me to give advice in this area because I grew up in a musical family (a few generations) and so am a bit spoiled that way.

Here is what I think, based on experience with teaching many things. Leave aside this kind of music for a while. Choose a karaoke piece for a song that you really like with a very, good, clear melody. Liking it is very important. Then reproduce the melody ---- you have to stay faithful to it ---- first, as closely to the original as you can. When you feel you have the melody and nuances just right ..... then simply relax and sing in your own way.

You will know the instant you are there. Until then, do it not to arrive anywhere, but simply do it because you love the song ..... again and again, in a smart way so that you do not lose interest in it.

You can get there. :)

I get why you are telling me that :P

I changed a lot of parts of the melody, I know haha.. I wasn't really caring about it really. The parts where you can clearly hear it are kind of "free", so I wanted to try that... just sing and do what came out, like, improvising on the road.

I have recently found this band, these songs.. so I don't know them as well as I know for example, Dream Theater's stuff, in which I can and know every single note, nuance, stylistic effects, etc.

Thanks for the advice :) I will keep it in mind.

EDIT: I wanted to clarify, though, that when I post this kind of stuff, or my a capella recordings, is not caring much for melody/pitch ( Don't think I just ditch it out or forget it, thinking it is not important, on the contrary )... I probably know 70% of these songs by Conception, haha... my interest is more on the technical/anatomical side of things. Tone, resonance, fold closure, twang, bridging.

I didn't touch the technical aspect, though. Because I know I am not skilled enough to sing this stuff, even less to do it justice.

I like to challenge myself and experiment a lot :)

Keep in mind that I don't do this to get better, I do this to keep track of my progress. I vocalize everyday, or almost, to work on my voice.

Try shading to more of an "ahhh" vowel on the higher notes. Don't try to keep the same "vowel" as you would when you talk. Practice some hard glotal onsets in your head voice to get better compresion, ( Gah on a 3 or 5 tone) - just until you feel the difference in where the note is placed. - I am no pro, but these things have helped me to get a more "Roy" sound on my Kamelot covers.

www.drop-head.com

Thaanks, Keith!

Yes, indeed it helps a lot :o I am doing some Mastering Mix exercices to help with compression on my headvoice. Very similar to what you discribe.

I have noticed that doing hard onsets exercices helps my muscles to "memorize the tension", as well as playing with vocal fry and trying to take it to my headvoice.

Please, if you could hear the last song I uploaded ( first upload with music.. my first real mix haha ) I would appretiate it greatly.

I listened to it bro. Another thing to consider is that (IMO) I think you are singing too softly. Put some, for lack of a better expression, balls behind it. I think that if you sang with a touch more power, you'er voice would cut through a little better. Plenty of SLS singers / coaches sing with balls. lol. OR, the issue that I hear may be related to the mix - it is hard to tell over the internet afterall :)

www.drop-head.com

I listened to it bro. Another thing to consider is that (IMO) I think you are singing too softly. Put some, for lack of a better expression, balls behind it. I think that if you sang with a touch more power, you'er voice would cut through a little better. Plenty of SLS singers / coaches sing with balls. lol. OR, the issue that I hear may be related to the mix - it is hard to tell over the internet afterall :)

No, you are right. It is not the mix. I do sound like "small", I feel it too... cautious, isn't it? The solution to this would be just to release more air, but I am still a bit afraid of doing that, because as I tend to be breathy, sometimes when I try and use a little more air, I feel like my folds can't keem compressing and it backfires, I lose resonance and my voice sounds breathy.

But yes, I understand what you mean :D Thank you very much. I guess in time when I have more strengh I will be able to "belt out" in a more metal fashion.

Will keep working hard. Thanks Keith