Felipe Carvalho - All That I Bleed (Savatage cover)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Excellent!

a few years back when I mostly a guitar player, me and some online muso friends created a cover of the title track from Savatage's 1985 album "Power Of The Night".

The Savatage line-up on that album had founding members (brothers) Jon Oliva on vocals and his brother Chris Oliva on guitar. Their lineup changed a few times over the years, with Jon leaving and later returning, and Chris sadly passed away. The vocalist when Jon left was Zak Stevens. So, anyway, Zak got to hear of our cover, and got in touch. After some discussion, he did vocals and keyboards for us, and so it sort of turned from a cover into more of a remake!

The guitar part was fairly hard to do, as Chris Oliva was good, and I tried to track his original playing note-for-note. My playing has gone rusty since then, as I later saw the light and turned to singing! If you listen you will be able to tell why I started off with the handle guitargeorge.

https://app.box.com/s/yfmuoe8d6irl4fit4dcs

Strangely, Zak was born on my 1st birthday.

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

I always thought that your login came from the Dire Straits song, "Sultans of Swing."

Guitar George, he knows all the chords. He's got a day time job, he's doing alright ..."

I love your voice, and I love this song. And, you did a good job in the ending section. The only thing that I didn't like is subjective anyway - and hardly worth mentioning. When are you gonna listen to my "Hurt" Cover??

www.drop-head.com

Woah! You've been holding out on me, Felipe!:lol: I had NO Idea you could sing that friggin high!!! Wow, your voice shines when the song gets higher! There was even one part when you sang the word LET from the line LET IT HOLD ME TIGHT near the end of the song, and I believe that was a very strong D5 and I gotta say at that point, you actually sounded a bit like Bruce Dickenson, FANTASTIC! I'll have to see if you've done any Iron Maiden covers. : )

Great Job, my friend!!! :D:cool::D

Thanks guys!

ronws, the idea of putting together a Savatage cover has occurred me more than once :). Still not quite there yet I think, soon, very soon!

george wow man, how awesome is that? This sounds so good, Zak is a monster. I am a huge fan of all his work, so much power... I wanna hear more of that story :).

Keith, thanks man. I just did! Sorry, its been a hurry for me and I like to listen things taking my time.

Ed M, glad you liked man! Thanks for the compliment, Bruce is one huge influence to me. I am yet to record something from Iron, its on my plans for sure!

Jugulator thanks man :)

And thanks also to everyone that listenned!

@ronws, I didn't know he sang for Savatage either!:lol:

All I meant by my comment Ron, is that although Felipe sounds a little bit like the front man for Savatage during the chorus, when he hits that one very impressive D5 when he sings the word LET from the line LET IT HOLD ME TIGHT near the end of the song, it's almost like his voice takes on a different tone and to me, that's when he sounded like Bruce Dickenson. :cool:

@Felipe, You're welcome, man!:) Wonderful to hear that an Iron Maiden cover is in the works.:D BTW...My favorite Savatage song is EDGE OF THORNS, have you ever tried that one?

Oh, and I hope you're still working on BROKEN MAN cuz it would be an honor to have you sing my lyric. :cool::D;)

Ed

I gotcha Ron! :) I thought that might have been the case especially since you've read far more on the subject than I have, but I didn't see any tongue and cheek smilies after your comment so I felt the need to clarify, just to make sure my statement was not misunderstood. Anyway, yes it was Felipe's tone and vocal range that made me think he'd sound good singing some Iron Maiden songs.:cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! Thats one of my favorites too Ed, I actually have a half way done sketch of the drums and guitars done for it.

About the recording of Broken Man. Its still up, but frankly I am still not satisfied and a lot of plans regarding developing the instrumental line are on a ToDo list... I miss a bass line in there... Time has also been an issue but I did not bail out. See ya!

And thanks guys :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Felipe!:)

Wow, I thought I set this up to be notified by email but I guess I failed miserably cause I never got an email and I just happened to find this by accident.Heehee Well that's Great, I can't wait to hear EDGE OF THORNS when you get everything sorted out! :o And I really appreciate your honest opinion about Broken Man and the fact that you haven't lost interest in it. :o Yes, I agree with you, Andy has some really cool ideas for compositions but even he admits to not being much of a musician. If he was just as good a musician as he was a composer, we'd probably be finished with it already.:lol: I'll try to keep my eyes out for good bass players that could help and maybe even a hard rock guitarist that could give us that Marilyn Manson (SWEET DREAMS) dirty sound that we're looking for.:cool:

Hopefully you still have my email or feel free to message me here if you have any new thoughts or breakthroughs on the matter. thanks for all your work on this project!:D

Have a good one, Bud! :cool::D:cool:

Ed

Felipe, what a great version! I love Savatage and Jon Oliva's Pain are fantastic too.

GuitarGeorge, respect! You did very well on the guitar, it's not easy to play Chris Oliva's solos. I've always thought Zak was a perfect singer for Savatage. I love both Jon's and Zak's voices. i had to download it:)

Felipe, this is an awesome version of the song! I really like that you are always focused and constantly putting out great sounding covers.

Many years ago I was in car with a few friends and I was belting out "hall of the mountain king" along to the cassette and during the high stomach vibrato part this guy starts knocking on the window. I roll down the window and with this concerned look on his face he says " Sounds like your starter needs to be replaced". lol

Hey Ed, no worries man! Coincidently, I received a version from Andy with a bass line just the other day, and I am just waiting for some free time to get back to the work. Lets finish this thing!

Herman Thank you :) I am a huge fan of all those dudes, in special the work of Zak Stevens.

gruemanticus Thank you man, Its a great study for me and I have a lot of fun too :). hahaha I can see the relation haahha great story!

Thanks, bud! : ) That's GREAT news!!!!!!:D:cool::D I heard Andy's bass player on another one of Andy's projects where Andy had originally done the bass line and this Bass player that he recently met, improved the bass line immensely!:cool: I was hoping that the same thing would happen with Broken Man, and I'm thrilled to find out that it has and that you're happy with what's been done!!!:cool: I can't wait to hear the finished Product!!!:D:D:D

ROCK ON, Felipe!!!:cool::cool::cool:

Ed

• 7 months later...