Vocal Exercises

Rate this topic

maverick323

Hello, I am new to vocal exercises and am hoping for some insight.

1) On a vocal exercise meant to build stamina like 1234543210123456789 and back down are you suppose to sing higher as you go up or louder? I have heard both.

2) On certain exercises using words like WE and WU is it normal to sing higher than normal. I sound more like a women singing in an opera style. When I try to sing a bit lower I feel scratchiness in my throat.

maverick323 - there are so many exercises out there for different things. The one you are talking about, a typical scalar exercise, is normally done by starting with 1 on a low note, like C3, then up a half step and repeat. Keep on going up by half steps until it gets uncomfortably too high, then back down. Normally, you'd use a consistent loudness all the way through. But some teachers might want you to do something else with this exercise. I'm only suggesting what I've normally been exposed to.

As for your 2nd question, different vowels work differently on different pitches, and as you go higher and higher, the vowels start to meld together.

Scratchiness in your throat is not a good sign. I wouldn't push it with that sensation.

Hey there :)

being quite presumtious, i don't think the scratchiness is massive issue. WE and WU are often used to experience high notes easier and you seem to have spotted that one already. If you're new to voice training, then the transitions in your voice may not be as well established as a training individual. That's totally normal. As you descend, especially if you've been really high, your voice is likely to remain in a setting that isn't appropriate for the bottom of the voice. This affects tone leaving it hooty and soft, and also your vocal cords lose adduction and that often sounds like catching phlegm, or as some say 'scratchy'. You may also be blowing too much air through the cords if you've been high as a lot of singers tend to excite airflow too much as they ascend and are left with that high airflow flinch as they descend.

Being more familiar with your chest voice and making sure you arrive in it when you descend will help the problem and begin to connect the registers. You could also try another consonant like M or G instead of the W to try and support the vocal cord adduction, keeping the sound clean.

I'd love to hear how you get on maverick323

being quite presumtious, i don't think the scratchiness is massive issue.

It depends on the sensation. If the scratchiness is like a "tickle" it is not so good. In this case you'd take a break for a few moments, maybe even a minute, and try again. You wouldn't try to push it. If it's just vocal fry then it is not a problem at all. Vocal fry is totally normal. It's hard to know from the word "scratchiness" what the sensation is.