Recovering from GERD similar to recovering from singing?

Rate this topic

jco5055

So thanks to Geno, I bought myself a bottle of digestive enzymes (not Zypan, generic Vitamin Shoppe, but I made sure that the ingredients were the same) to help with my silent reflux.

Now it hasn't even been a week yet, but already I've noticed vast improvement; if I say before the problem was a 10 (not really, but makes comparisons easier) I'd say it's now around a 5.

As I hope to continue improving, I've noticed in the past few days that certain aspects of singing have gotten harder for me. For example, on what may be one of the trickiest areas to sing (A4-C5 or so) I've experienced a lot of chirping/wavering/trouble singing the notes fully/m1/whatever you want to call it. Closer to C5 I have trouble just accessing M1 instead of M2, which before wasn't perfect but an improvement from where I am now.

I've read how singers who quit smoking seem to suffer in their singing until all of the mucus/whatever is in their lungs finally returns to as normal as a non-smoker's lungs as possible. Is such a phenomena similar for other ailments such as reflux/GERD?

• 2 weeks later...

I am totally out of my league but, from my layman's view, I am likely to think it is a case of your last paragraph. You've been compensating for so long with your ailment that you didn't realize it. As your body adjusts to the new norm, so must your singing.

Just as you mentioned how singers who quit smoking go through an adjustment period, especially as it might relate to lung flexibility.

I also think of fellow member Snax who had tonsil reduction surgery where they removed most, if not all, of his tonsils. This literally created new space, different structure. And he revisited all of his lessons in singing to get back to what he wanted to do. Which was now easier, less constrictive, over all.

Maybe you will experience the same and I would certainly learn from your experience, more than any advice or perspective I could offer.

I am totally out of my league but, from my layman's view, I am likely to think it is a case of your last paragraph. You've been compensating for so long with your ailment that you didn't realize it. As your body adjusts to the new norm, so must your singing.

Just as you mentioned how singers who quit smoking go through an adjustment period, especially as it might relate to lung flexibility.

I also think of fellow member Snax who had tonsil reduction surgery where they removed most, if not all, of his tonsils. This literally created new space, different structure. And he revisited all of his lessons in singing to get back to what he wanted to do. Which was now easier, less constrictive, over all.

Maybe you will experience the same and I would certainly learn from your experience, more than any advice or perspective I could offer.

Thanks Ron, I'll try to post any updates if I discover anything crazy.