Sarah Brightman's Only an Ocean Away

• TMV World Legacy Member

I just uploaded my cover of Sarah Brightman's "Only an Ocean Away" video. I made this back when I was 13 (i'm 15 now) but Youtube had the sound muted claiming copyright. I know I'm not the only artist doing covers but that's how it goes. Now that I'm a Youtube partner I'm gonna see how it goes. :)

www.elenahouseonline.com

• TMV World Legacy Member

It is always a delight to hear you sing.

As I have mentioned before, Sarah is my favorite voice, of all the voices I have heard, even as I sing hard rock and ballads, for myself. And you did this so well. And you sound, again, like a young version of her, especially on the high notes.

Well done.

As for youtube copyright infringement, actually, it's considered infringement if you are trying to make money with the song. There has to be a line drawn. If fans were not allowed to sing along with the music, they would not buy it, or sing with it, anyway. So, essentially, youtube may be thinking, especially if you signed their music profit sharing plan, that you were trying to generate income with this.

Which you could do and in that case, you and your dad need to start your own publishing company. Then pay copyright fee to either ASCAP or SESAC so that you can use whatever songs are in their catalogs. And then record an album and release it. And because of your style (art songs and arias,) covers are expected and successful.