Why does talking a bit louder give me such strain?

Rate this topic

sws1

I know this isn't about singing but, why does my voice get so sore and strained after trying to have conversations is a louder place. Just spent an hour at an event. Not very loud, but lots of people standing around talking. I left and my voice is already horse.

How do I translate what I'm doing while singing, which is clearly much louder, to my speaking voice? OR, what could I be doing wrong?

I do sense that when i try to speak louder, I feel like I'm pushing a thicker vocal cord, and the sound is deeper in my throat. Maybe I should try speaking at a higher pitch.

Like you said already. You are pushing to get louder instead of using support and resonance to get louder. Too much air is crossing the vocal folds.

Also as you said already, try a higher pitch to cut through the croud.

To add to what MDEW said which is pretty dead on:

-hold back the air, use as little as possible and convert it all into sound

-brighten the sound. Which is actually probably more important and effective than simply raising the pitch.

-better cord closure, get every hint of breathiness out of your voice.

-do some bright resonant humming exercises every now and then to find and maintain the right speaking habits throughout the day

force yourself (if you have to) to always speak out of the throat.....don't allow this positioning to fall.

this will come if you remember to configure into a beginning of a yawn or an "oh" thought. form this habit to benefit your speaking and singing voice.

keep the lift.

I don"t agree with holding back the air that will only create another tension. I would not intentionally hold back the air I would just do some good vocalizing(lip bubbles, sirens, PVF etc) to get the cords to hold back the air naturally instead of creating a tension..Speak cleanly try the old school put a pencil in your mouth and speak "over the pencil" then remove it and keep the same feeling.

Im not saying i"m right he"s wrong just giving another option.

^^^^

If I remember to do it, I can avoid getting hoarse by a) reminding myself to breathe. (Amazing, how I often speak without taking a breath). B) Speak more "musically", as if I was Italian. This lifts my voice up a few pitches. When I don't do this, I find myself speaking from very deep down in the throat/neck, rather than from up higher like when I'm signing. Jamie Vendera in his book makes a comment about how, when speaking, you need to "get off the chords", and speak a few pitches higher. That resonated with me. (No pun intended.)

Of course, doing the above doesn't necessarily make me louder. It just prevents pain and hoarseness. I guess there is really not much I can do to sound like those people, who in a loud setting, get ALL the attention. The minute they speak, everyone hears them.