Tribute to Paul McCartney's beautiful voice

Rate this topic

jonpall

Paul had/has such a beautiful voice along with great technique. He could/can sing ballads and rock songs equally well. Just listen to this:

Let this thread be a tribute to Paul McCartney's singing. Few if any singers have given us more good tunes. Feel free to discuss his technique, post more songs, etc.

In the recordings of "Get Back" Paul has an almost gutteral (back of the throat) sound. Would that be concidered Covering? I find that when I sing this song and get the tone close to the way that Paul sings it I can reach that G4 and sometimes higher.

When I make this sound it feels as if the back of the tongue is lifted and the soft palate is lowered to meet it.

You can really hear this sound when he says "GET BACK LORETTA" and the ending Get Backs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMy_w5HsfdI

"Get back, Loretta. Your momma's waiting for you in her high-heeled shoes and low-neck sweater."

"I once had a girl or should I say, she once had me. I lit up a fire. Isn't it good norwegian wood?"

"You think you lost your love. Well, I saw her yesterday. Your the one she's thinking of and she told me what to say. She says she loves, and you know, that can't be bad. Yeah, she loves you. And you know, you should be glad."

"He's got feet down below his knees. Hold you in his armchair you can feel his disease. Come together, right now, over me."

"Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty-four?"

I wanted to be handsome, like Paul. Funny, like Ringo. Rebellious, like John. And virtuostic, like George.

And these guys were so resourceful. Their first album was recorded on a 4-track. It's called bouncing, where you mix several tracks down to one, then record more along with that.

m, i find that voices like mc cartney's (light weighted) have much less tonal disparity between their falsetto and their real voice (sorry, if i've mentioned this before).

as a result bridging and blending the two sections is a lot easier and sounds so smooth.

i think what you're hearing is mastery over his lower head tones and employing a heady hoot throughout to hold it together ..he carries it all the way down to e3 instead of returning to chest or allowing himself to fall back into chest he stays in a heady configuration.

that takes a lot of skill...

m, i find that voices like mc cartney's (light weighted) have much less tonal disparity between their falsetto and their real voice (sorry, if i've mentioned this before).

as a result bridging and blending the two sections is a lot easier and sounds so smooth.

i think what you're hearing is mastery over his lower head tones and employing a heady hoot throughout to hold it together ..he carries it all the way down to e3 instead of returning to chest or allowing himself to fall back into chest he stays in a heady configuration.

that takes a lot of skill...

In that particular song "Get Back" his sound is so different from the sound used in other songs. It seems as if it is leaning towards a Kermit the Frog sound. You can hear it more in the roof top recording. Perhaps he had the start of a cold on that day.

Because of the two recordings having a similar sound I thought he was doing it for a reason. I do know that it is easier for me to sing when I use that sound.

i didn't really hear the frog sound, but he hangs on to head tone/resonance from g4 down to e3.

i've always found singing like this takes a lot of skill, and some voices are better suited to sing like this than others.

you're right in the passaggio and the head tones are pure and lifted, with very little of any chest involvement yet engaged. he has just the right amount of adduction and space to keep it from falling apart.

i can't think of the title, but he does another song or two the same way...

he really has so much skill. he singing in a heady mix. if you find that easy, that's really great........