Need critiques fast. I have a performance in a few hours.

• TMV World Legacy Member

I have been taking voice lessons for about 6 months and the school I go to has a recital today and my vocal coach wants me to perform. I feel like I sound horrible and I'm going to embarrass myself. Please give me your honest opinion on how I sound and what I'm doing wrong and how I can improve. I want to make up an excuse and not go.

http://chirb.it/NNDEfG

Well you are having lessons for 6 months, havent you discussed it with your teacher that has been hearing you all that time?

I dont really believe there can be given any advice to be applied within few hours and work over your training of 6 months.

I think its more of a mental issue than correct technique, also you probably havent sung in front of other people and thats why you dont feel comfortable? If there are any people you have sung infront of them before, at the place you are singing, then imagine you are singing just for them and mantain eye contact mostly with them and on neutral things, look a bit upwards, look at the speakers, at posters/curtains etc.

Last i have a feeling that its only your coach that wants you to sing, did you discuss it? You knew that days/weeks/months before? I would be skeptical with that kind of attitude. Not saying good or bad just... :/

Btw you sound very good, no need for any advice that you might not be able to apply and make things worse. All i can say is if you sing there as you did in the recording you will do fine.

*Edit: Sorry i just read the last line you wrote, you should tell him, if you havent, that you dont want to go and discuss it. If you did and he insisted then i think its time to weight the pros/cons he has and consider an alternative. He is there for you, not the opposite, encouragement is good, presure is not.

And wear somethiing inappropriate. It will take the attention off of your singing.

Or, discuss with your teacher. And this is where you need to stand up and not be afraid. Because any good teacher is going to ask, "why are you not ready? We have talked about this."

Or you just want more applause because that of the audience you will see is just not enough.

Or, you need a magic pill that makes you super awesome. Is that for your benefit or your teacher's benefit?

As you state, you want an excuse to not go. Short of having a physical malady that structurally prevents you from singing, I can't help you. You will need to work this out with your teacher.